Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Thoughts on Diesels?

I've been debating buying one for a couple years now and I still can't decide if it is worth it.

Last time I calculated it out it made sense if I were to keep the vehicle for at least 3 years and current resale prices would stay where they are. None of that is certain.

Cost vs. impact is a tough argument to make when your wallet is on the losing end.

And I'd be interested to hear what people really think of 'clean' Diesels...
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Limekiln

Cars or trucks?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

It doesn't really matter, but I've been thinking of a Diesel car.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
richard1726
46er2618

I have driven 1/2 dz diesels in the last couple of years - in Europe. Never a disappointment. Low end torque is great, which is where you do most of your accelerations.
I don't end up shifting up and down as much as with the same car with a gas engine. AND the fuel milage is great. Last month I rented a Peugot 5008, a 7 pasenger minivan, ave MPG was 47MPG for two weeks of mixed driving, the range was 1200 Km - over 700 miles. Last year with a British make compact, 70 MPG.
Now I know you can't buy these models in the US but I wish I could. I'm in Austia right now and I'll estimate 90% of all autos are diesels.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Limekiln

I can't speak for cars, but I've had a bunch of GM Duramax 3/4 ton trucks over the last 10 years, and currently own two. They get considerably better gas milage than the gas trucks but upfront cost is more. You'll have to do the math and see it the numbers work for your particular situation. Keep in mind the resale value on diesel trucks is higher so even if you don't recoup the additional upfront costs in fuel savings you should get it back when you sell.

The newer diesels have a exhaust particulate filter and they use urea injection to keep the exhaust cleaner. I add 2-3 gallons of urea to my 2012 truck roughly every 5,000 miles. It's not a big deal. The particulate filter hurts the milage a little as it uses diesel to burn off the soot.

Diesel technology has come a long way in the last few years. Cold weather starting is no problem. My truck is usually in a garage or plugged in below zero but I've started at 25 below unplugged with no problem. The new engines are not much louder than a gas engine and the exhaust doesn't stink.

I guess only you know if a diesel fit your lifestyle but I've been very happy with mine.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A bit off topic but relevant.

I drove a CNG car multiple times for work this spring and was really impressed. It got the equivalent of 45 miles to the gallon on average, and an equivalent gallon of gas (in CNG) cost about $2.45. So 100 miles on the CNG car would cost about five bucks and change.

Problem is, of course, finding places to fill up. I know that the public can get fuel cards to purchase gas at some of the state pumps (like the one in the McCarty Ave park and ride lot in Albany). I believe you can also get vehicles that can transition back and forth from regular gas to CNG.

Of course, CNG vehicles raise a whole other issue with regards to the ethics of fracking, but that's a discussion for a different thread, I think.

Also, the acceleration was horrendous. Even if you don't believe the lord almighty, trying to merge onto an expressway in Long Island during rush hour in a CNG vehicle will have you praying to the heavens above for sure.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Also, the acceleration was horrendous. Even if you don't believe the lord almighty, trying to merge onto an expressway in Long Island during rush hour in a CNG vehicle will have you praying to the heavens above for sure.
Seems like that might apply on (at lest some of) those roads anytime, no matter the vehicle - particularly there was one somewhere down that way where you came off one road onto another on the right, then had to cross traffic to exit left in a very short distance.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Troy64

Thoughts on Diesels?

Let me know if you want to buy a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD diesel.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote