Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Bike Seat Recommendations

Any suggestions for a nice comfy bike seat for a big guy for casual road riding and occasional trail riding?
I have an old racing gel seat that I absolutely hate, looking for something a bit bigger and more comfortable to fit my big ass on little better.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,

There are a number of online bike components companies out there..
A few that quickly come to mind are Performance, Nashbar and Blue Sky.
You may be able to find a "comfort" seat, although most retailers concentrate on more performance oriented (read: expensive) components.

As for mine own self, you know I am a stck boy...I have been fond of Selle Italia Turbo Flites for a long time, but, with an average of 2,000 miles per year, I could likely sit on 36 grit sandpaper and not notice.

I always offer to show my calluses, never any takers
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Mike,
I actually rode past your house yesterday.
I used to ride a ton, around 20 miles a day, but have gotten away from it ever since we got our dog over six years ago. This year I really want to get back into riding, and need to get a better seat. My current one has seen many miles and is very beat-up, and it's time for a new one. I've done some searching on the web, but haven't found anything that I'm looking for yet. Maybe I'll take a drive (I mean ride) over to Plaines and see what they have.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
mar71

Justin look into one of Specialized Body Geometry saddles. They all have a cut out in the center to prevent pressure on your perineal nerve. I swear by this design and have ridden these saddles exclusively since they first appeared on the market. I use them on both my road and mt. bike.
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
toothlessannie

Justin, good suggestions from the replies above

Also, I suggest you stay clear of GEL saddles, as after about an hour they feel like you are sitting on concrete. Definitely go for the cut-out center.
toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look into the Body Geometry Saddles.

Any thoughts on a Dual Pad Seat?

Or what about an 11" Wide Seat?

Or maybe the Extra Deep Relief Seat?

What are the pros & cons, aside from the looks and heavy weight?

I'm not planning to do any racing or extreme long distance riding, just looking to get back into causal road & trail riding on my mountain bike and in desperate need of a new seat ASAP.
At this point, the most comfortable seat for typical all around road & easy trail use is probably the highest priority for me.

Last edited by Justin; 03-26-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look into the Body Geometry Saddles.

Any thoughts on a Dual Pad Seat?

Or what about an 11' Wide Seat?

Or maybe the Extra Deep Relief Seat?

What are the pros & cons, aside from the looks and heavy weight?

I'm not planning to do any racing or extreme long distance riding, just looking to get back into causal road & trail riding on my mountain bike and in desperate need of a new seat ASAP. At this point, the most comfortable seat for typical all around road & easy trail use is probably the highest priority for me.
I bought a Dual Pad some years back to deal with nerve pain. Hated it for a few reason. One it just isn't natural feeling and your legs aren't allowed to go down as smoothly because your thighs hit (not sure if that makes sense?). You'd be surprised how much you use the horn (front part of the seat) for balance, with this seat I at least could hardly ride no handed and that's something I have done plenty of. I think I threw it out but if it's still around your welcome to it for FREE

Others have given good advice and I side with SG on bare bones saddles, once the bones are accustomed to it they feel great. The last one you linked to looks pretty good and very similar to one I use.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Thank you Alpine1.
I very much appreciate your feedback, and your offer. I'll definitely take your word for it on the dual pad seat, so no need to go searching for it. I'm definitely leaning towards something a little more like the 7"x10" Extra Deep Relief Seat...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
scapegoat

Unfortunately, only you will know what saddle is right and it requires a fair amount of trial and error. That being said I'd strongly advise against the big, heavily padded saddles for anything longer than an 20 min ride down to the coffee shop. A properly fitted bike saddle should provide support through the sit bones and not through heavy padding. While a padded saddle may feel comfortable initially or for very short rides, eventually they'll cause chafing and numbness. Initially a little bit of soreness in the sit bones is probably to be expected, but it should subside and any numbness or chafing would indicate the wrong saddle or poor position or fit.

Good luck,
wayne
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Thank you Scapegoat.

I ended up purchasing This Cloud 9 Mountain Bike Saddle at the local bike shop.
I'm pretty happy with it... I was out for a ~10 mile ride yesterday with it and it worked out great, much better than my old saddle anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
mgc

Looks like you landed on one...too bad.
The way to go for your need is the Brooks B17. It will take a while to break in but will last a lifetime and many cross country trips.

I ride the Selle Flites and buy them up off of Craigs list whenever I find them. I do not like the new ones.
I have one on all of my bikes except for the MTB where I use a Selle Flite Gel
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Riosacandaga
soggy

Absolutely agree with the Brooks. Although I really like my B17, that's now on my winter bike, the Selle Anatomica is my new favorite.. if it holds up. Out of the box I road it for 10 miles to adjust the position (they have a great video on their site) and the next day rode 130 miles with no butt pain.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
snav3

I also would agree with the Brooks recommendation. It's the most comfortable saddle I have. Mines a good twenty years old, well broken in. I have three bikes and as the seasons change, I'll always switch the Brooks to bike that gets the most use.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
cairojim

try a seat called moon seat it's shaped like a half moon and supports you cross wise as opposed to lengthwise.
cairojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
Troy64

Bike Seat Recommendations

I switched from a Specialized gel saddle to a Brooks, and could not be happier. The Brooks is one of the best saddles out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
bluequill

A couple of months ago I bought a Brooks B 17 (cutout) for my MTB and have put a couple of hundred miles on it so far. I'm very happy with it and is as comfortable, if not more so, than my Selle Italia Flite that is on my road bike. The seat is just starting to break in and I am sure the comfort will increase as more miles are seen. With a price tag of $135 I was a little hesitant.... but you get what you pay for.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
bmike-vt

I would find a shop that can measure your sit bones. Also find a shop that has trial saddles.

Wider : thicker isn't always better. Thicker just means there is more stuff to jam and compress into : on your nerves.

Position on the bike might be causing you pain too. W

Brooks for me, both the B17 and the Swallow for the long distance road bike.
And I'm now a fan on the WTB Silverado.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #18
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have always had used bikes and have just used whatever seat they had on them. They have happened to come with fairly narrow seats. I find that the most important thing to avoid for me is chafing so a harder narrower seat seems to work better. It is less comfortable at first but the rubbing from a wider seat gets to me after a bit and on those occasions when I do 50 or 100 miles in a day(especially when towing the canoe) non-discomfort is better than comfort for me in the long run. In 2011 I upgraded from a '76 Schwinn Super Le Tour which a fellow gave to me because the frame was too big for him to a '98 Trek 520 which I found on eBay. I found it to be much more comfortable with the wider handlebars and more relaxed touring proportions.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
I would find a shop that can measure your sit bones. Also find a shop that has trial saddles.

Wider : thicker isn't always better. Thicker just means there is more stuff to jam and compress into : on your nerves.

Position on the bike might be causing you pain too. W

Brooks for me, both the B17 and the Swallow for the long distance road bike.
And I'm now a fan on the WTB Silverado.

Another vote for the B-17; I have two of them, and they're by far the most comfortable saddles I've ever used.

Downsides: Short rails, so sometimes a seatpost with longer setback than someone usually uses may be required. Being leather, they shouldn't be left out in pouring rain.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #20
Hard Scrabble

Your butt and the seat of your bike take more than a little bit of time to get acquainted.
I have a Giant Venture 4 that's worked out well for me.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote