Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
jan

Erie Canal Bike trip

Has anyone here pedaled the Erie Canal bikeway from Buffalo to Albany? I've just started reading about it and would like to know what guidebooks you'd recommend and any other tidbits of wisdom you'd be willing to share.
Thanks.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Riosacandaga
soggy

I just rode the section from Fultonville to Canajoharie earlier this month. This part is mostly cinder/hard packed dirt for the 11 miles. It was a little soft in spots but ok on 700c by 37mm tires. There are other sections that require riding on busy roads. I think there is a supported ride for a benefit but this would be easy to do self supported as well. A google search should turn up more info.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Last Summer, I ran into a couple from SC who were biking the trail from Buffalo to Cohoes. They had their tent set up in the picnic area/park at Lock 21, just east of Oneida Lake. There was plenty of flat/green space, modern picnic tables and fire pits.

I chatted them up for a few minutes while they were finishing their supper. They were very happy with the condition of the trail, camping areas, and friendly people they met.

The only negative thing they had to say was about the vehicle traffic during their transit of Syracuse and that they underestimated the heat. After all, everyone knows it's cold in NY.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Has anyone here pedaled the Erie Canal bikeway from Buffalo to Albany? I've just started reading about it and would like to know what guidebooks you'd recommend and any other tidbits of wisdom you'd be willing to share.
Thanks.
You can't go wrong with the Parks And Trails NY ( PTNY ) Guidebook from http://www.ptny.org They also run the biggest Erie Canal bike tour.

My son and I did the entire length in three summers, starting when he was 8. It's a fantastic ride - and for the on-road sections, you can follow the PTNY road markings.

I blogged about our trip at:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=5750&v=2D ( year 1 )
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=7519&v=26 ( year 2 )
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=9268&v=11 ( year 3 )
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
jan

Thanks all. I bought the PTNY guidebook, and am thinking about doing their tour next year.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Jackson

I'll never forget when I was a teenager paddling the entire length of the Erie Barge Canal with my father, from West to East. Great trip, lots of memories.
We were in an 18ft Blue Hole Mike Galt canoe.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
tanston

I ride the lower sections near albany/schenectady all the time as they are right near my house. In that area at least it's pleasant riding even on 700c x 32 tires. Plenty of interesting scenery along the way too. I've had an inkling to try the full ride myself someday. Best of luck if you give it a go!
tanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

I rode it once from cuse 10miles east and back, after I found two ticks on me, that was my last time....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
cairojim

I recently rode from albany northward to sciota in separate trips . the trail in albany has about 5 miles on city streets which wasn't that bad but also wasn't that good. If interested look into the rails to trails organization to which i am a member. for a nominal yearly fee you can download gps maps to your smart phone. their guide books are great as their web site as far as fellow cyclists reviews and photo's of their rides. ptny is a great site as well.
cairojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
jan

I rode in PTNY's Cycle the Erie Canal last year and had an incredible time. They really do a great job. It was a lot of miles (400 in 8 days), but was worth it.