Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I'm afraid I'd still have to pass... I don't think she would assimilate very well. It takes her a long time to warm up to people she didn't know as a puppy. Those she was around regularly get the full show of her running around and jumping in excitement (and sometimes a little pee too).

For everyone else she just hides, shakes or does a full charge - depending on if she thinks she can take you on. Stand your ground and the charge will end with her turning at the last minute and running the other way with her tail between her legs.

You should get one. If your cats aren't too aggressive they actually will play nice. It is funny our cat used to give her baths.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Odyssey

Hey l'oiseau, this video might cheer you up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI4yoXyb1_M
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

How do you say "Chihuahua" in Doberman?

"Chew toy"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

"Chew toy"
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
FireFly

We have a 11 year old chihuahua that has the bladder of an elephant He stays in the house all day, never leaks or causes any other problems. He goes as soon as we come home from work, then at 8:00PM. He knows exactly when 8:00PM is too But like your dog, forget it if it raining, he won't go. He never barks either, unless the doorbell rings, which is good for me because I don't hear to good. Just ask my wife
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

"Chew toy"
I don't know... I've seen Chihuahuas back down a lot of bigger dogs.

A real Dobie knows German - of which Chihuahua and chew toy are not part.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #27
oruacat2

I've got a chihuahua story for you, and I swear it's true.
It's funny, but in that you-feel-guilty-for-thinking-it's-funny kinda way.
Mid-1990s, Letcher County, KY (SE portion of the state, very rural, not a lot of money)
An older gentleman who must've been some kind of "hoarder" before we knew to call them by that name passed away, leaving 20+ Chihuahuas behind in his house because he had no heirs or relatives who could take them.
Letcher County is poor - at that point they didn't have any sort of county animal control/dogpound/humane society (hell, it's possible they STILL don't).
Somebody thought it a fine idea to turn those little heathens loose, and they very quickly went semi-wild/feral.
The headline in my local newspaper one lovely SuperBowl Sunday morning (I clipped the article and held onto it for years because I knew no one would believe me): "Pack of Wild Chihuahuas Terrorizes Letcher County!". I swear it's true.
The dogs were running in a pack, terrorizing children at bus-stops, chasing mail-carriers, ripping into garbage cans, attacking other pets in the neighborhood, etc.
It gets better. Accompanying the article - on the front page of the "Local/State News" section, was a picture of one a neighbor had managed to catch. The trembly, hairless little rat is staring at the camera lense through the chain-link wall of his/her cage, with those blank, lifeless black eyes, looking like he/she would kill you in a heartbeat if given half a chance.
I laughed so hard I woke up all my roomates. lol
Just picturing that image in my head of 20+ Chihuahuas running in a yelping, snarling, shivering pack still makes me laugh, even 20 years later.
Good stuff. Too bad we didn't have the internet and smartphones back then.
oruacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Oh man... that had me roaring!

It is very true. Our dog is a little heathen. I can only imagine a pack of 20 of her.

Chihuahuas are mean little buggers. I've seen ours back down many big dogs, often going right for their face and biting fiercely.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Wow, I would have to agree....
Dogs that behave like this are definitely ruining the environment.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Little Gremlins

This...

and this...

are not far off...
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

We have a cat that we named "Gremlin" for the same reasons.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #32
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Ours is actually a great boat dog. She likes it and isn't big enough to upset the boat when she moves around. She's really sweet to people she knows... she only liked one other dog, and sadly he's passed away. A big, fuzzy golden was her man... and she won't be bothered by any others.

Our other dog though... whew! He needs to settle down a little bit before we try him again. I learned more about how weight ballast and leaning affect canoe handling with him than anything I've ever done on my own.