Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
donstone

Winter biking?

Anyone on here do any winter riding? I commute 10 miles each day and am planning on doing it all winter this year.

We've been having quite a warm winter but am really looking forward to getting some miles in the snow.

Just ordered a new fatbike and it should be here next week. Hopefully the snow holds off till it gets here

I just wrote this article about what I've been gearing up to in preparation for the Winter. Did I miss anything that's essential for a winter ride?

Winter biking guide
donstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
bmike-vt

IMAG1476 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_4176 by Mike, on Flickr
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
richard1726
46er2618

How about being able to attach a ski the the front tire. Easily removable so you can ride home after the plows have removed the snow.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
donstone

Are those snow pictures from this year? Hasn't dropped below 30 in Clifton Park yet so haven't had a chance to test my 29er in the snow.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstone View Post
Are those snow pictures from this year? Hasn't dropped below 30 in Clifton Park yet so haven't had a chance to test my 29er in the snow.
Those are dated. No snow here in VT except in the mountains.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
How about being able to attach a ski the the front tire. Easily removable so you can ride home after the plows have removed the snow.

Ski doesn't really work on a bike. People have tried.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
donstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
Those are dated. No snow here in VT except in the mountains.
OH OK. I'm pretty amazed at the weather so far (not gonna complain though).
Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Riosacandaga
soggy

If you're interested check out 45Nrth. They have lots of pricey winter gear. Their mitts are over $100. I can't see paying that much when you can buy ATV mitts for $20 that are lighter.
Same with their boots. I'm sure they're nice but...
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
donstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
If you're interested check out 45Nrth. They have lots of pricey winter gear. Their mitts are over $100. I can't see paying that much when you can buy ATV mitts for $20 that are lighter.
Same with their boots. I'm sure they're nice but...
Yeah that stuff is nice but insane prices. I've found pretty much everything I've needed for my rides online for less than 1/2 the price. Plus I have the added benefit of looking like a normal person when getting off the bike as opposed to looking like I just finished the tour de france.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
bmike-vt

Quote:
Yeah that stuff is nice but insane prices. I've found pretty much everything I've needed for my rides online for less than 1/2 the price. Plus I have the added benefit of looking like a normal person when getting off the bike as opposed to looking like I just finished the tour de france.

I have their Wolvhammer boots... Love them.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
bmike-vt

the 45nrth stuff can be expensive. i have their boots and a set of the nicotine tires... the tires are pretty nice. the boots are awesome, except the model year i have developed some leaks... pretty sure that is fixed in the new versions.

the banff stuff is pretty nice too for fat biking. if i didn't get these for pretty much wholesale coast i would have gone that way.

as for the pogies... i have a $20 pair from amazon. they've worked well for 3-4 years, but they are damned flopped.... just too big.

i'd love a set of these:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...sLoopbarpogies

as i love love love my jones loop bars (have them on both the pugs and the krampus...)
Old 12-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
donstone

Quote:
the 45nrth stuff can be expensive. i have their boots and a set of the nicotine tires... the tires are pretty nice. the boots are awesome, except the model year i have developed some leaks... pretty sure that is fixed in the new versions.

the banff stuff is pretty nice too for fat biking. if i didn't get these for pretty much wholesale coast i would have gone that way.

as for the pogies... i have a $20 pair from amazon. they've worked well for 3-4 years, but they are damned flopped.... just too big.

i'd love a set of these:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...sLoopbarpogies

as i love love love my jones loop bars (have them on both the pugs and the krampus...)
I don't think my hands ever get cold enough for pogies. I have lobster claw gloves from amazon and they're almost too much heat.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
bmike-vt

Quote:
I don't think my hands ever get cold enough for pogies. I have lobster claw gloves from amazon and they're almost too much heat.
The great thing about pogies is you can just wear thin liner gloves underneath for warm days, and thicker gloves for really cold days.

Into the twenties I prefer the pogies, up from there they are nice, but I can survive in lobster gloves.

When its this cold:

Untitled by Mike, on Flickr

I definitely like the pogies!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #14
mulveyr

Quote:
I have their Wolvhammer boots... Love them.
Same here--I've always had cold feet, but the Wolvhammers are probably the first ones I've ever actually felt warm in.

I've got the 2014 version that has the zippers that everyone complains about. My understanding is that this year's version does away with them and are much, much nicer.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Riosacandaga
soggy

I'm not dissing 45nrth gear and if anything compared to other "specialty" footwear probably a bargain.
If you get the Tractor Supply pogies line them with 1/8" closed cell minicell foam to keep them open. And I also use a fender washer and sheet metal screw into the bar end to keep them in place.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
I'm not dissing 45nrth gear and if anything compared to other "specialty" footwear probably a bargain.
If you get the Tractor Supply pogies line them with 1/8" closed cell minicell foam to keep them open. And I also use a fender washer and sheet metal screw into the bar end to keep them in place.
I've got some washers and plugs for mine... will think about adding the foam! Bought 2 of those flexi cutting boards last year, but never got around to installing them. The foam sounds easier to manage...
Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #17
JimB

Picked up some pogies at a snowmobile swap meet last year for 5.00. In order to use them on my Jones loop bars I had to trim an inch off each side of the bars so the pogies fit right. They were great for the cold we had last winter, and I was able to usually wear just a pair of poly pro liners on my hands.

I have a pair of the first Lake winter shoes but they are so tight that my feet couldn't stay warm. Last year I picked up a pair of Specialized Defroster shoes in a size larger than normal and they worked pretty well keeping my feet warm and dry. The 45 nrth stuff is out of my budget :-)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
madmike

The snowmobile trails near Speculator were perfect yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail.jpg (157 Bytes, 34 views)
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote