Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
AdkHikerKid

Seward, Donaldson and Emmons

Hello! I plan on hiking the rest of the Seward range soon, as I already did Seymour earlier last year, so i need to finish up the Range. I was wondering if anyone had any information regrading the Calkins Brook Trail to do these hikes. Also, if anyone knows of an easier trail to do just these 3 hikes, and if i can pull it off in a day hike or an overnight. Thanks in advance-any information will be extremely helpful!!! Thanks.
AdkHikerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkHikerKid View Post
Hello! I plan on hiking the rest of the Seward range soon, as I already did Seymour earlier last year, so i need to finish up the Range. I was wondering if anyone had any information regrading the Calkins Brook Trail to do these hikes. Also, if anyone knows of an easier trail to do just these 3 hikes, and if i can pull it off in a day hike or an overnight. Thanks in advance-any information will be extremely helpful!!! Thanks.
Yes. I just did it via Calkins Brook on July 1st. See the 2nd half of my trip report at the link below (the 1st half of the TR is from Seymour the day before). Calkins Brook is a nice herd path. Look for the cairn with the pail on it. Calkins HP is definitely the easiest way to get the 3.

http://www.offonadventure.com/2012/0...3012-7112.html
Telemarkmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I definitely recommend Calkins Brook. I would also say that Emmons is the biggest pain of the three. We saved it for last; not sure if that's the preferred order or not, but that's how we did them.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I definitely recommend Calkins Brook. I would also say that Emmons is the biggest pain of the three. We saved it for last; not sure if that's the preferred order or not, but that's how we did them.
A certain administrator on this forum said that in order to maintain alphabetical integrity, one should do them as D-E-(D)-S. When my wife and I reached the ridge and saw how imposing Seward looked we agreed it would be best to tackle that one first, otherwise it may have been too easy to talk ourselves out of it if we were tired after tagging E and D. The trek out to Emmons can be a big of a slog...pretty muddy at first, then you seem to be dropping down of the ridge on the wrong side for a while. Not all that bad, though.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
46R796

Telemarkmike,
Thanks for the link.I found it very informational for a upcoming trip.
My Avatar pic shows me on the left and my older brother on the right.Pic was taken on Aug 8 1972 next to the canister on Donaldson our #45 peak.I was signing the register.We hiked in from Wards brook.Not sure if Caulkins HP existed back then.

Last edited by 46R796; 07-29-2012 at 10:51 AM..
46R796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
snav3

I actually preferred going in the Ward trail, past the LT and then up the herd path to Seward. Then out to Donaldson and Emmons, return over Donaldson and down Calkins HP. That gives you a traverse of Seward and more of a loop, rather than an out and back. Going up Seward from the north is steeper and more of a challenge, but also more fun IMHO.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Alpine1

Having done these Mtn from both directions described by Snav3 descending the Caulkins trail was much easier on the knees after a day of hiking. Your mileage may vary depending on age
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
AdkHikerKid

Thanks all! Great info!
You live one. - Anonymous
AdkHikerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
46R796

My hiking campanion and I just did Donaldson and Emmons via Caulkins and found it took us considerably longer then expected.From the parking lot to Rock cairn at Caulkins 1hr 25min. 3hr more to get up to Donaldson and 1 hour to Emmons.I use to climb like Billy goat,now I guess like an old goat.We encountered a few muddy spots on the way,especially between ridges.There was more rock ledges than what I remembered and with mud coated boots,made for slicker climbing up and down the rocks.

Tags
brook, calkins, donaldson, emmons, seward