Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
DDinBoston

Opinions Needed on Trip Options

Hi everyone - Hoping you guys can offer an opinion (or two) on a few canoe trip options that I'm trying pick between. I'm organizing an annual guys ADK canoe trip. We've been to most of the more known spots, and in some cases repeated a few (nothing wrong with that).

The group is 6-7 guys, coming from Boston and Rochester NY. 4 days, 3 night trip. This year will be mid-July. Love to set up a base camp and do side trips during the day. love fishing, no more than 1 carry, privacy, and nice campsites (lean to would be amazing). Love a hiking trail if possible.

Given that, here's a few spots we either haven't been to, or would consider going again. Curious your thoughts:

1.) Stillwater Reservoir

2.) Follensby Clear/Pollywog Pond (haven't been)

3.) Forked Lake (do you have to book sites on reserveamerica?)

4.) Cedar River Flow (went before under miserable conditions)

I appreciate any input. Anxious to pick a spot and start day dreaming!
DDinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
LongLaker

Follensby Clear/Horseshoe/Polliwog
and
Long Pond in SRCA.
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

1. Stillwater is big, as are the waves on most days. Plan an extra day in case you get windbound. Lots of cool stuff in the Five Ponds wilderness, but you said just one carry...
I've been a handful of times, it's not for me...Great sunsets and sunrises though.

2. Follensby Clear/Polliwog is not wilderness and often is busy. Much opportunity for side trips.

3. Forked has two sides to it. Eastern side is a state campground with numbered sites, privies, food lockers and Reserve America reservations. Western end has but a few primitive sites, first come first serve. Pretty limited side trips, you could bushwhack up Pilgrim but no views.

4. Cedar River Flow has no carry and some nice primitive sites, but there may be a boat with a motor there. Some interesting side trips up the Cedar River, Little Moose Lake, Buell Brook. You might even see a moose!

My severely biased opinion puts you on the Essex Chain Lakes (one carry but you can wheel it) with a day trip down the Chain Drain to the Rock River.

Or Long Pond in the St Regis Canoe Wilderness area, a short carry and then a few great side trips to Long Pond MT and Pink and Ledges ponds. Very quiet there.

Also consider Lake Lila, absolutely beautiful with an abundance of day trips to Frederica Mt, Shingle Shanty Brook, Harrington and Rainer brooks, the old train station, and some of the Beaver River. 0.3 mile carry. Very quiet there too...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
TrailBlaser

Round Lake is another option. It connects to Little Tupper so you can split time between the two locations. Easy put-in/take out as well.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Oswegatchie from Inlet upstream to a nice base camp. Day paddle to High Falls and points beyond. Lots of hiking trails leading to backcountry ponds.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Oswegatchie from Inlet upstream to a nice base camp. Day paddle to High Falls and points beyond. Lots of hiking trails leading to backcountry ponds.
I second this suggestion. I make a trip up the river almost every year. I try to go in high water so I can travel easier above the falls. I like the area around the Robinson River.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
madison

I second the Little Tupper/Round Lake suggestion. No carries, lots of free/first come sites, and a few nice options for day trips. head out as early as possible, though, because the winds from the west/southwest can be strong and kick up some waves. Rock Pond is a great day trip from Little Tupper.

Cranberry Lake is another favorite of mine, although it can also get windy. And there are motorboats, but it's not as bad as some lakes like Raquette, the Fulton Chain, or Lake George. The bays and inlets make great day trips and are away from the boat traffic. Joe Indian Island has great, well spaced campsites.

Great bass fishing for both these locations also.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
Buckladd

Getting back to the poster's original question regarding places he hasn't been; as stated above, Stillwater can be a windy hell, but otherwise it's awesomel. On Forked, there is much to explore and you can always carry over to Raquette for a side adventure. There are campsites on the west end of Forked that I believe you don't have to register for.

FB-Clear/Pollywog - As stated, quite crowded, but good fishing on Horshoe and lots of loons. Pre-summer, mid-week might work

Cedar River: Love it, especially down river to the lean-to. I've always wanted to go further but the water has never been high enough. I saw a big moose in there a few years ago.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
TrailBlaser

I love the Cedar River, paddling through the grasses is something special.

Tags
cedar river flow, follensby, forked lake, stillwater