Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Jelf

See DEC GIS layers on hi-res topos and Google aerials

A few weeks ago I started a project to produce map links that can display recreation-related GIS data layers on top of high resolution topographic maps or on top of the Google aerials. Government agencies at all levels have a ton of useful recreation data sitting on GIS servers. This project will let people easy see that data with (1) a common interface and (2) a variety of built-in features that will work the same on any map.

The first batch of map links at the federal level are done and also the first few states, including New York State, have been finished. Here is the homepage for this project.
http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map.html

You will see a link for "Tips" on how to use the map. Please take a couple of minutes and look at that page. It is written in plain English - not computer babble speak.

Some of the GIS overlay layers might be a bit slow to load if the server is busy.

If a data layer is hard to read, then try changing the basemap to "All white basemap".

All of the GIS data that you can display on the map also has "attributes" on the server with more information. This winter I plan to add a feature that will let you click on a GIS symbol and see those attributes.

Enjoy!

Joseph
Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It is worth noting that some of this information, despite coming directly from the DEC/APA, really isn't all that accurate. Of particular importance:
  • A good portion of the trails shown in the trails layer haven't been maintained in years. Accordingly, they have become overgrown and are poorly marked (if they are marked at all).
  • The campsites shown appear to be campsites in existence, not necessarily campsites that are actually designated by the DEC. Some of these sites are non-designated sites that are in violation of the 150 foot rule and are not legal campsites (and camping at them may result in being fined).

Again, this definitely isn't Joseph's fault. The issue lies with the quality of information that is publicly available.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Jelf

Good point about the data quality.

Interestingly enough, DEC has their own online map that displays a lot of this same data! Their map is called SLIM (State Lands Interactive Mapper) and here is the link:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

DEC's own map displays the same GIS data layer that includes the backcountry campsites - some of which are not legal.

I am sure that land managers struggle with the issue of how 'good' their data needs to be before making it public. If they wait for the data to be perfect then it will never see the light of day. Hopefully DEC has a plan to improve the data quality.

The bottom line is that one should not look at any map as your sole source of info. Instead, take the time to learn, understand and follow the rules.

Joseph
Old 12-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelf View Post
Good point about the data quality.

Interestingly enough, DEC has their own online map that displays a lot of this same data! Their map is called SLIM (State Lands Interactive Mapper) and here is the link:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

DEC's own map displays the same GIS data layer that includes the backcountry campsites - some of which are not legal.

I am sure that land managers struggle with the issue of how 'good' their data needs to be before making it public. If they wait for the data to be perfect then it will never see the light of day. Hopefully DEC has a plan to improve the data quality.

The bottom line is that one should not look at any map as your sole source of info. Instead, take the time to learn, understand and follow the rules.

Joseph
Nice DEC map… THANKS!, however the OP's zooms in way more… at least as far as I can figure out. Al the way to individual bolders in streams, and fire rings! AMAZING when you think about it!
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #5

It sure does RichieC

As the OP noted though , the overlay of state / private boundary lines onto the google aerial map can be off by a bit . On the highest zoom the state line runs literally right through my neighbors camp , the state painted line is actually about 75 feet away .

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Jelf

A few months ago I started this thread to make people aware of a project I was undertaking as a public service to make recreation related GIS (Geographical Information System) data easily available. GIS data has two parts. One part displays symbols, lines and areas (i.e. polygons) on a map. The other part can display information (called “attributes” in GIS-speak) about each GIS thing you see on the map. Sometimes the attribute data includes a link to even more information. This can be extremely useful to people that play outdoors.

In my first post in this thread I promised to add the ability to display the GIS attribute data. Good news - that work is now done. Also the homepage for this project now has Gmap4 links that display GIS recreation data for 14 states (including New York) and more national level maps have been added. The next two states that I will process will likely be Missouri and Indiana.

To see a good example of GIS attribute data:
1. Go to the homepage I made for this GIS mapping project:
http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map.html
2. Scroll down to the map links and open the "USA Weather Map". This map shows all the current weather watches and warnings. This data is hosted on a GIS server operated by NOAA.
3. Click any colored area and soon a popup will appear.

That popup shows all the GIS attribute data for the thing that you clicked. Note that one of the attributes is a link. If you follow that link then you will see the details for that weather watch or warning.

Gmap4 does not attempt to process the attribute data. Instead, it simply displays the attribute data 'as is'. If some of that data is coded or looks like gibberish, don’t blame me.

After a map opens, you can click "about this map" in the upper left corner to:
1. See the map legends
2. Learn how to turn other GIS layers on/off
3. Get other tips for using the map

You can make an interesting map by looking at the GIS layer showing weather watches and warnings and then also turning on the layer that displays the weather radar.

If you are GIS savvy, here is a greatly expanded list of GIS servers by state:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...l#source_state

Anyone that is willing to follow a few simple instructions can make their own custom Gmap4 map links to display the GIS data they wish to see.

For more information about Gmap4, please see:

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Tags
adirondack, aerial, gis, map, topo