Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 AM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Alvah Dunning

I was wondering if any on here know of any good books written specifically about the old gyod and woodsman 'Uncle' Alvah Dunning. I find him to be immensely interesting and would like to learn more about him, his life and some of the old tales concerning his time at Raquette Lake and the surrounding areas.

The most informative I've read so far was a section of Jay O'hern's "Adirondack Characters and Campfire Yarns" concerning Alvah. Are there any books that go into greater depth about him or that are about only his life?

Also, does anyone know of any historical sites in the backwoods that can be visited where he maybe left a mark in a similar way to spots that can be traced and atributed to French Louie or Noah Rondeau? (Other than the obvious trip to the island where he made one of his camps?) If you are willing to share such information about a spot, please, PM me and don't post it publicly.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

I'm pretty sure there is some material specific to him in the "Adirondack Reader", edited by Paul Jamieson. Great book!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Wldrns

Contact the Adirondack Museum and ask to speak with the historian. They have a research library that you may b able to access with a visit.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
I'm pretty sure there is some material specific to him in the "Adirondack Reader", edited by Paul Jamieson. Great book!

My Dad has a copy of that book so I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Contact the Adirondack Museum and ask to speak with the historian. They have a research library that you may b able to access with a visit.
I've actually wondered before whether or not they would possibly do something like that and allow access to their archives or other information. I may just do that - thank you for your advice.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
lanceman

Donaldson's "History of the Adirondacks" has a chapter that discusses Alvah Dunning.
There is a story about a large gold pocket watch he lost while fishing in Eighth Lake. That might be the only remaining artifact of his presence. He lived pretty simply and was not the most gregarious character.

He was born in the area around Speculator and there is a Dunning Pond and brook in the area which are presumably named for him (or his father).
lanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceman View Post
Donaldson's "History of the Adirondacks" has a chapter that discusses Alvah Dunning.
There is a story about a large gold pocket watch he lost while fishing in Eighth Lake. That might be the only remaining artifact of his presence. He lived pretty simply and was not the most gregarious character.

He was born in the area around Speculator and there is a Dunning Pond and brook in the area which are presumably named for him (or his father).
Thank you for the info!

That story was in the O'hern book as well, but the way it was related there he dropped a silver watch in the lake after which money was raised and the townspeople presented him with a gold watch. Perhaps it is a case of different versions of the same story passed down through time.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 10-08-2016 at 04:14 PM..