Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #21
geogymn

GPS is a great tool! I don't use one. When in the woods one wants to be focused on the woods, aware of one's surroundings, aware of your escape from the modern rat race. Methinks that the GPS hinders said awareness. But to each their own, if it gets you out there in the first place then it is a good start.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #22
wiiawiwb

My GPS is used as a backup to the map and compass.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
my gps is used as a backup to the map and compass.
+1
Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #24
Wldrns

My compass is a backup to navigation by terrain association techniques, I use the landscape (and the sun) among numerousother navigation clues to guide me through the woods. A pevious poster was corect, a GPs is for data collection, Mine is used mostly to verifySAR area coverage and for canoe race target speed monitoring

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-11-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #25
Bark Eater Too

Thanks guys. To be clear, my original post was not advocating use of GPS for primary navigation. I was recommending physically attaching your compass to oneself to avoid separation. Carrying a spare in your pack is also a great idea.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #26
wiiawiwb

We all use our map and compass when we hike and backpack. In this busy world, I find myself using marked trails more often as I want to get to a desired location with the available time I have. Maybe the extra few hours will get me to "X" rather than to "Y".

I have to remind myself to spend more time going off trail and seeking new points of interest never seen before. The exercises alone will keep the map and compass and navigational skills honed. Sometimes, it's also fun to get off course, scratch you head and wonder how that happened, and find an alternate route to the desired location.

My GPS is always with me but I would consider it a defeat to have to put the map down and use the GPS for navigation purposes.

I've hiked with friends who live out west and, in the open spaces where they hike, landmarks are always easy to find on the map. In the dense forests of the Adirondacks, where I always seem to be under the canopy of trees, reading the subtlety of terrain features, as Wldrns said, becomes a more important skill.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #27
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Having done hiking in the Mojave, you get spoiled when you can see your destination 10 mi away - all you have to do is walk a straight line to get there. After years of hiking the NE, I look at the websites of people on the Colorado or Muir or PCT, and get very jealous.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

"Real bushwhackers use a hiking stick, not a trekking pole."

The difference between a hiking stick and a trecking pole is about $90.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote