Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #21
nutmeg creeker

Peter Hornbeck used to work with the Kelty Tioga pack for carry adaptation. I'm not sure that he still does, but it's worth a call. I bought a virtually new KNUPAK on Craigslist a couple of years ago, drove over to Olmstedville and asked Pete to fabricate what I needed as a yoke. After ten minutes and some adjustments, I was all set.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #22
ADKJoe

Pack Canoe

Snapper,

It's an inexpensive aluminum pack I've had laying around.. Not sure that it would work?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
ADKJoe

Nutmeg Creeker

I contacted Hornbeck and they said they could help me. Now I just need to find the time to get there...
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #24
ADKJoe

Backpack

The one I have looks exactly like the Camp Trails pack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
ADKJoe - Not sure what pack you're thinking of using but years ago, before the Knupac was available, a bunch of us put together portage frames for the outdoor program SUNY Cortland holds at their facility on Raquette Lake. We started out with the old Camptrails "Freighter" external frames. Using PVC pipe we created brackets that cradle the middle thwart of a 17' Grumman; it would work for any canoe however. Anyway, with care, these portage packs continue to be used many, many years later with all sorts of groups on 6 day trips. My guess is if we could do it, you can to!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #25
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I made a setup that works sort of like the Knupac by taking a Kelty Ridgeway pack from the 90s that I had bought on eBay for about $15 a few years ago, removing the top aluminum tube that slides down inside the side tubes (it's designed to be adjustable and can be slid right out, I don't know how many of their packs were made that way), and replacing them with two pieces of conduit, each with a homemade wooden doodad in a U shape on top. The first year I used it on the center thwart of my Wee Lassie II and then when I moved up to a modified Kite design I made the legs longer and fit the Us through the seat frame. I use a strap to the stern of the canoe and tie it to the lower end of the backpack frame, and this makes for hands free carrying except if I need to bend over to go under something, when I pull on the strap to keep the bow of the canoe from hitting the ground. It's hard to turn in dense woods but on a trail it's very easy, and I'm sure you can make up something to work with your Hornbeck.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
snapper
snapper

ADKJoe - The Camp Trail frames we used had a plastic plug in the top end of the frame. We removed the plugs and fitted a wooden dowel into the PVC. Once the fit was right we slid the PVC onto the dowel and glued the two together. The wood then slid into the frame, making for a more secure base. From there we built out, using more PVC pipe, the bracket that the thwart would lie on. It was easier to do than it is to describe but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Don't know if that helps but hopefully it will give you an idea of what it is we did.

At this point your best bet might be to go with what Pete has to offer but there is definitely a DIY option out there if you're interested in pursuing it.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #27
ADKJoe

Thanks Zach

Zach,

Thank you for the input.. I will have to do more investigation on this. I'm also going to visit Hornbeck as well to see what they have or can do for me as well.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I made a setup that works sort of like the Knupac by taking a Kelty Ridgeway pack from the 90s that I had bought on eBay for about $15 a few years ago, removing the top aluminum tube that slides down inside the side tubes (it's designed to be adjustable and can be slid right out, I don't know how many of their packs were made that way), and replacing them with two pieces of conduit, each with a homemade wooden doodad in a U shape on top. The first year I used it on the center thwart of my Wee Lassie II and then when I moved up to a modified Kite design I made the legs longer and fit the Us through the seat frame. I use a strap to the stern of the canoe and tie it to the lower end of the backpack frame, and this makes for hands free carrying except if I need to bend over to go under something, when I pull on the strap to keep the bow of the canoe from hitting the ground. It's hard to turn in dense woods but on a trail it's very easy, and I'm sure you can make up something to work with your Hornbeck.
Zach
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
ADKJoe

Thanks Snapper

Snapper,

Thank you for the information! Like I mentioned to Zach I will have to play around a bit but ultimately I might see what Hornbeck can do for me as well.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
ADKJoe - The Camp Trail frames we used had a plastic plug in the top end of the frame. We removed the plugs and fitted a wooden dowel into the PVC. Once the fit was right we slid the PVC onto the dowel and glued the two together. The wood then slid into the frame, making for a more secure base. From there we built out, using more PVC pipe, the bracket that the thwart would lie on. It was easier to do than it is to describe but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Don't know if that helps but hopefully it will give you an idea of what it is we did.

At this point your best bet might be to go with what Pete has to offer but there is definitely a DIY option out there if you're interested in pursuing it.

snapper