Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you PREFER to paddle?
I prefer to paddle solo whenever I can get away with it. 86 78.90%
I prefer to paddle tandem with a partner--two sets of arms are better than one! 20 18.35%
I'll paddle with as many people as I can fit in the canoe--the more the merrier! 1 0.92%
I prefer to sit back and let someone else do all the work. 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #41
ADKJoe

Going Solo

To be honest I prefer solo whether in my canoe or kayak. However speaking as a father I love when my son Max wants to paddle our tandem canoe together. I never pass that opportunity up.

https://flic.kr/p/HygBNA
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #42
58rover

Both, 2 tandems and 2 solos on truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 423400_385497214837183_1653547971_n.jpg (16.4 KB, 187 views)
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #43
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

A variant on an aphorism: "Imaginary friends are great at keeping secrets but they are no help paddling a canoe." Thus I generally paddle solo.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #44
Hard Scrabble

Who cares!!!
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #45
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Indifference is, sadly, all too common in this lax modern era.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #46
jblaser

Many years ago I had a tandem. I sold the tandem after getting married because my wife wasn't interested in wilderness canoeing and camping. I bought a Sawyer Autumn Mist solo canoe and never looked back. Over the past 25 years, I have taken it on trips all over the northeastern U.S. and Canada. When my kids were little, I put them on a cushion in front of me and paddled them into places in the ADKs. When they were older we rented a tandem, but it didn't take long for them to ask to rent another solo so they could paddle on their own. Now I am fortunate to have two solo boats. I don't see myself ever going back to a tandem.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #47
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Likewise. The only tandem I ever had was a Coleman; I sold it after just one canoe trip. Now have 2 solos, and my significant other bought a solo last year. I did pick up (literally) a large Kevlar tandem in very poor shape that was at the curb locally. If my friend can fabricate some parts, I might hang onto it for a while.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #48
Swamp Booger

The way it's written, I can't participate in the survey because I'm fine with either. If it's my wife and I, we take our tandem. We've paddled together for over 40 years. If she's not along, I'll take my solo.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #49
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Who cares!!!
Ha!

HEY YOU KIDS! GET OFFA MY LAWN!
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #50
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by muller_jim View Post

My wife has a passionate discourse on our current society not being able/ willing/ or finding it necessary to work through the minor conflicts that can occur in a tandem boat. A favorite example is people talking about their shared experience - which is shared by solo paddlers communicating over walkie/talkies.
Or by simply screaming across the water, which in my experience, is much more likely.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #51
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Or by simply screaming across the water, which in my experience, is much more likely.
Alternates names for a tandem canoe: C2, two seater canoe, divorce boat.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #52
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Alternates names for a tandem canoe: C2, two seater canoe, divorce boat.
Divorce boat! I love it. I paddle tandem with my wife, and I call her Ballast. Her job is to sit up front, keep an eye out for rocks, and paddle when I ask her to. Most of the time, it's easier for me if she just doesn't paddle at all. She has this annoying habit of paddling for three strokes, pausing, paddling for two strokes, pausing, and doing this pretty much randomly. She is able to keep us out of sync like it's her job. We've been married 32 years though, so we must be doing something right. I can tell you, however, that paddling a tandem canoe is not that something.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #53
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Divorce boat! I love it. I paddle tandem with my wife, and I call her Ballast. Her job is to sit up front, keep an eye out for rocks, and paddle when I ask her to. Most of the time, it's easier for me if she just doesn't paddle at all. She has this annoying habit of paddling for three strokes, pausing, paddling for two strokes, pausing, and doing this pretty much randomly. She is able to keep us out of sync like it's her job. We've been married 32 years though, so we must be doing something right. I can tell you, however, that paddling a tandem canoe is not that something.
Does she hang her legs over the gunnels and put her feet in the water while you're paddling like mine does?

There goes all my momentum. Again.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #54
Rich Lockwood

solo

My lovely wife and I paddled tandem once. We now have solo canoes-much better!
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #55
jblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Does she hang her legs over the gunnels and put her feet in the water while you're paddling like mine does?

There goes all my momentum. Again.
Mine did that the few times we went! Also kept her feet off the pedals when we rented a tandem bike. We are still together after 25 years though!
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #56
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

What RichieC said. I'd no more paddle or camp alone than I'd go to a restaurant or the cinema alone. True, it's tough when your crew isn't in stroke or can't manage the boat, but what a blast it is when everyone pulls together! The feeling of acceleration and power in a well-crewed eight-man rowing hull, ICF K4, or Canadian C-15 is an experience you'll never forget.

Mrs Spork and I have a 16.5ft prospector. She keeps an even pace and I'm pretty decent at the J-stroke so we do OK. Yes, it requires more technique, focus, and teamwork. But succeeding at that is a worthy end in itself IMHO.

All things being equal, a boat with a longer waterline will be faster. So a tandem should outpace two solos. So say the laws of physics.

To me one tandem makes more sense on a two-person portage than two solos. Less stuff to carry. Easier to get the portage done in one shot.

The only solo boats we've owned are ICF C1s (being to canoes as a Laser is to sailing).

Last edited by Titanium Spork; 08-09-2018 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: add comment about laser
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #57
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Spork View Post

All things being equal, a boat with a longer waterline will be faster. So a tandem should outpace two solos. So say the laws of physics.
That's actually not true. It's more to do with the ratio of the length to width as well as the actual shape of the boat. Then there's skin friction. More wetted area = more friction, so there's a tradeoff between wavemaking/cutting through the water and skin friction terms of length. And of course all that changes with load, so there's an ideal spot where the boat will be its most efficient.

By necessity a lot of solo canoes need to be easier to push through the water in order to keep pace with the increased power output of a tandem crew. Hence they are narrower and usually a bit shorter. The goal of a lot of designers of the first solo trippers was to allow a single paddler to keep pace with a tandem. That means a lot less wavemaking and a lot less skin friction.

IME even most good solo canoes won't keep pace with the best tandems on the market today given similar effort. They are close, but it's hard to overcome that power deficit given that tandem hulls have gotten so good, mostly due to what was learned from solo design.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #58
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
That's actually not true. It's more to do with the ratio of the length to width as well as the actual shape of the boat. Then there's skin friction. More wetted area = more friction, so there's a tradeoff between wavemaking/cutting through the water and skin friction terms of length. And of course all that changes with load, so there's an ideal spot where the boat will be its most efficient..
So quick question - those kevlar front and back protection pads they sell - do they destroy your skin friction like I was thinking they would?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #59
Rich Lockwood

I learned right away that I couldn't keep up with tandems--twice the horsepower and 20% more drag.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #60
sweeper

And is that why we solo? No reason to 'keep up'.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote