Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #21
Bounder45

Good job out there!

What call did you use?
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #22
chaser
pond jockey

Nice jobs
Old 10-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #23
skillzman1

Decided to do some squirrel hunting yesterday since I don't have a bow license. Figured I would take the 20 gauge in case I found a turkey. Found three doe, not a single gray squirrel and hiked a mile or two through briars and brush. Walked back out and shot my first ever turkey 20 yds from the truck!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #24
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
Walked back out and shot my first ever turkey 20 yds from the truck!
That's great, congrats!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #25
Buckladd

Well, how did everyone do with the smokepole this weekend? I had social obligations and only got out in the mornings. Saw two doe at first light Saturday, but we don't shoot does where I was hunting. Near home this morning I went out for a bit with no luck. Then, before the rain, I was taking down the electric fence around my pumpkin patch, I look in my back clearing and there's a small doe there looking at me. Go figure! A friend of mine got a nice 10-pionter in Warrensburg, and I'm waiting for a photo!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
Fly Rodder

I'm headed to camp on Thursday for a full day of stomping around Friday and then I get to take the rifle for a couple of long walks on the weekend. Up the mountain and down the mountain, walk walk walk.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #27
Cpswing555

where's BioGuide??? I have been waiting for his pics, movies, and stuff.. I'm stuck here in Pennsylvania waiting for reports, movies, and pics, since I cant get there until November 16th.

CP
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #28
Buckladd

How'd everyone's opening weekend go? We had a good one in northern Warren County getting two decent 8-pointers. One was taken by my cousin who just turned 19. It's not his first ADK buck, but his biggest. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as happy to get a deer as this kid. It was fun to see. I'll get some photos out later this week.

We're not finding a lot of acorns, I've got a feeling they're at lower elevations as there were some around my house before the deer cleaned them up. Curious what guys in the woods are finding for sign; rubs, scrapes? We didn't see much, just the bucks that would've eventually made it.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
Chris I

Saw first scrape yesterday morning while tooling around, this was down in Gansevoort. Saw a nice 8pt and 6pt hanging together on Friday night
Old 10-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #30
geogymn

Spent the weekend in the North woods, Saw no deer, no scrapes, no rubs, but no matter, glorious weekend.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #31
skillzman1

Hiked a lot of miles on Friday to close out early muzzle loader. Saw absolutely nothing! Too windy I think they were spooked. Saw sign and fresh track but they were long gone. Have to get the legs ready for next weekend!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #32
sleepy

All,

What is the consensus on the deer herd this year? Hunted around Indian Lake for the opening of the muzzle-loader season saw 1 coyote and no deer. Tough time to look for sign with the leaves dropping and the rut a few weeks off. Met some fellows in the wood and they felt it was a tough winter and that the deer population was down. Any thoughts?
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #33
Bounder45

I've seen plenty of sign in the weeks leading up to start of regular season (northern zone). Went to one of my pre-scouted spots this weekend and, sure-enough, I ran into a doe (no rifle DMP's for that area of the ADK's).

Haven't seen much in the way of Buck sign (scrapes).

Haven't seen a whole lot of mast crops in the north; southern zone has a lot this year.

The foliage is still somewhat thick in the areas I'm visiting, so visibility isn't ideal just yet. I'd say that over the next few weeks, the conditions should be continue to improve.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #34
dpc34

My gun got a lot of sleeping this weekend--in my hand or on my shoulder..saw very little of anything in the Newcomb area...
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #35
bobadkhunter

Sabattis area...saw couple does last day(evening of muzzle). Found 3 scrapes(super fresh) and a fresh tree rub. So things are starting to pick up. Beech nuts are non existent, while there are plentiful cherries. back up after a brief trapping session(starts 10/25). Good luck fellas.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #36
Fly Rodder

Seven 'tails in three days of hunting. All definitely or probably does.

No beechnuts, but feeding sign under beeches. A couple of sporadic rubs, no scrapes.

Back at it next weekend with hopefully fewer leaves.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #37
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadkhunter View Post
Sabattis area...saw couple does last day(evening of muzzle). Found 3 scrapes(super fresh) and a fresh tree rub. So things are starting to pick up. Beech nuts are non existent, while there are plentiful cherries. back up after a brief trapping session(starts 10/25). Good luck fellas.
How are the fur prices?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #38
bobadkhunter

Fur forecast isn't that great again....at least for the water animals I go after. But whether they are high or low I still get out there.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #39
St.Regis

I saw one doe last Saturday, but I only hunted a few hours in the pm. I did see a few scrapes on the way into my stand.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #40
Tug Hill

The October lull, give it a week, things will pick up.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote