Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
AvalanchePass

NYS to provide free campsites with gear for first time campers

First-time Camper Weekend Program

"NYS will provide FREE First -Time Camper weekends throughout the summer in 2017. Families that have never camped before will have the opportunity to see if they enjoy sleeping under the stars before investing in their own gear by registering for a fully stocked campsite at a select NYS campground each one weekend from 7/717 to 8/25/17.

New campers will be provided with a family tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, camp chairs, camp stove, lantern, and even firewood. A Camping Ambassador will meet families at the campsite and help them get camp set up with a camping 101 lesson. To make the weekend getaway even more fun, campers will have an opportunity to learn from experts how to fish, hike, bird watch, paddle and more, all while having fun and making memories that last forever.

Reservations are required and will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis starting May 17, 2017 by calling 518-474-6718.
"

Two Adirondack sites included:
So, if you know someone that has never camped before ...

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 05-03-2017 at 11:57 AM..
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

No coolers of beer?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Trail Boss

Hey! I've never camped before ...

(... at Paradox lake or Hearthstone Point).

The state should probably also include a bottle of insect repellent.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Was this filed under "nanny state" headlines?

"This program is available to NY residents only."
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Helping people do something they've never done before is the "nanny state".

News to me...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Paradox6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Was this filed under "nanny state" headlines?

"This program is available to NY residents only."
How in heck is this a legitimate function of government? I suppose they will require some sort of ID to determine residence. Maybe voter ID cards? People buying votes with other people's money.
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox6 View Post
How in heck is this a legitimate function of government? I suppose they will require some sort of ID to determine residence. Maybe voter ID cards? People buying votes with other people's money.
Sorry... but this is hilarious

What do you think this will actually cost the state?

PS A couple thousand would be a drop in the bucket and I bet it's actually not even close to that. And how many votes might this one buy? Five or ten? I bet the people that go will easily cover their cost with the taxes they have paid in this state.

The thing I really can't understand is why they need to promote camping in NYS. Most of the good campgrounds are overflowing during most of the summer.

Perhaps it's an attempt to show people what they get for their tax contribution.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

I can't be as cynical as "M'.
But what a tremendous burden on overworked and underpaid campsite personnel.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
AvalanchePass

The program runs on 8 consecutive weekends around the state.

The impression I get is that will be a travelling road show run by staff specifically assigned to the program.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Thinking positive...
I've noticed over the past few years there has been lots of discussion about wanting more tourism throughout the Adirondack Park, so Kudos for the attempt to get families out camping in the Adirondacks for a first time. Hopefully it will lead to many more camping trips for them (and perhaps their friends also) in the future.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
gebbyfish

Because there aren't enough people hiking and camping in the Adirondacks! :P
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #12
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

"...To make the weekend getaway even more fun, campers will have an opportunity to learn from experts how to fish, hike, bird watch, paddle and more..."
From a NYS licensed outdoor guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Helping people do something they've never done before is the "nanny state".

News to me...
Not at all
Now go eat your vegetables, stop smoking, don't drink that sugary drink, go run for 30 minutes, try your meal without salt...

It would be fine if this "program" / "promotion" / "activity" would be organized and run by a private organization (like say ADK) but gov't agency like DEC or NYS OPRHP? - vital public function it is not.

Now, it could be that DEC is only promoting it for a 'partner' entity but that's not mentioned anywhere...

PS: it also doesn't mention what if any fee is charged... and where the funds for it come from.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
kwc
loser

I'm with Justin ... I think this is a positive promotion ... and if it encourages more NYS residents to get out & enjoy what NYS campgrounds have to offer, then great!

Editorial note: Nanny state ... that's ridiculous. No one is making anyone sign up for this program (nor is anyone making anyone do any of those things Timberghost mentioned).

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
snapper
snapper

Two things...1. I agree that this is worth trying. We keep saying there are fewer young people getting involved in various outdoor groups. This might be a way to bring in folks who might not ordinarily get a chance to go camping. Who knows what spark might be lit in some of the kids who get the opportunity to do this.

2. This isn't going on only in the Adirondacks. The full list of campgrounds that was announced also had locations in the Catskills that are taking part in the program so the use is being spread out around the state.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Paradox6

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Sorry... but this is hilarious

What do you think this will actually cost the state?

PS A couple thousand would be a drop in the bucket and I bet it's actually not even close to that. And how many votes might this one buy? Five or ten? I bet the people that go will easily cover their cost with the taxes they have paid in this state.

The thing I really can't understand is why they need to promote camping in NYS. Most of the good campgrounds are overflowing during most of the summer.

Perhaps it's an attempt to show people what they get for their tax contribution.
It will cost the state nothing. It will cost the taxpayers.

No body knows what it will cost or how big a program it is. What is does spend is money the state does not currently have. So actually, it just adds to the pile of debt our kids and grandkids have to pay.

There are a lot of nice things government can do for us. There are a lot of nice things we can do for ourselves. Some things are appropriate for government to do. Some things are appropriate for individuals to do on their own.

Is this new "freebie" worth diverting funds from other DEC programs? Is it worth stocking a few thousand fewer trout? Where does it stop?
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox6 View Post
Is this new "freebie" worth diverting funds from other DEC programs? Is it worth stocking a few thousand fewer trout? Where does it stop?
Personally stocking trout is a waste of my tax dollars. I don't fish and I don't believe in artificially adding fish to ponds for those that do.

I'm glad you feel that is a worthwhile use of OUR tax money. If you don't like this, you have your chance to change it when it's time to vote.

I feel this is a worthwhile program, and you don't have to be all that knowledgeable to know it won't cost that much.

It seems everyone is against a freebie until it affects them... where was your outcry to the to the "gateway" project ($32M BTW... that's some freebie there, that'll buy a lot of fish!)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thinking positive...
I've noticed over the past few years there has been lots of discussion about wanting more tourism throughout the Adirondack Park, so Kudos for the attempt to get families out camping in the Adirondacks for a first time. Hopefully it will lead to many more camping trips for them (and perhaps their friends also) in the future.
I agree, Justin.
This may lead to more responsible camping ethics.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebbyfish View Post
Because there aren't enough people hiking and camping in the Adirondacks! :P
Not sure if it's about that.
I would guess it's more about trying to help generate new interest into areas that could benefit from more tourism revenue. The vast majority of the Adirondack Park is not as booming as say the Lake George or High Peaks regions.

Edit afterthought...
Wasn't DEC also one of the organizations behind "The Great South Woods Project" we heard about a few years ago?
Anyone hear anything new on that?

Last edited by Justin; 05-04-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #19
montcalm
Mobster

Not that I'm against camping, but I've done my fair share in the campgrounds and I'd say a lot of people aren't directly helping monetary tourism. Some never even leave the campground and bring everything they need but wood. Now that they have vendors drive through, you don't even have to leave.

And even if people do go out and recreate using state land, etc, how much of them actually are benefiting the tourism economy? It seems to me that the tourism economy exists where it exists for a reason and it attracts a certain type of individual.

Shifting some of those people over to other types of recreation isn't a bad thing, but I don't buy the whole improve the economy bit. It's more a sense of showing them what is available in NY via our state run facilities and lands, and then those people are more likely to support that kind of thing in the future as well as pass it on to their kids. I see it as more of continued stewardship kind of thing. I don't get that sense from the people who go to LP or LG.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

I'll never forget a story one of my friends told me years ago...
After spending a night at a DEC campground during his first time on a "camping trip to the Adirondacks", he was hooked and wanted to try out some more primitve camping & backpacking, and then asked me for advice on places to go. This all coming from a guy I would have never pegged as an outdoorsy type guy. To this day he still enjoys camping in the Adirondacks. Just saying.