Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #41
nazdarovye

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
I'll never understand this "rush" to get any hike done in such a short time...

Smell the roses guys, enjoy the woods and waters!

Otherwise why not just do laps around a track?

Or 'run" on a treadmill with a walkman, tv on a nature channel, and some teenager to throw cold water on ya!
And I never understood the rush to knock people who want to go fast, or travel ultralight. I see this kind of comment a lot.

I go fast AND I enjoy the scenery. In fact, I get to see more of it in a day than the slower hikers (whose speed I don't try to talk them out of - to each their own). It also gives me more time to stop and take photos or otherwise smell the roses...

Hope you guys give the 3-day NPT trip a go; I'll look forward to a trip report!
nazdarovye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #42
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post

btw, I don't think that I wanna bet on people to lose at something like this. Personally, I just don't like to see people fail at the goals they set for themselves. I just don't enjoy reveling in someone else's misery. Betting that so and so can, and so and so can't is pretty much the same in my book. That's just me though.

Good luck to anyone that attempts it.
This was pretty much my point and the reason I would only bet on myself. Feels judgemental to me to guess who could or couldn't. As to Hawk "calling Rik's bluff" I'm not sure what "bluff" I made. Just because I'm not willing to bet on them doesn't mean I'm betting against them.
I will leave my bet on the table since I think it would be great to have Hawk sponsor my organized trail run.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #43
TCD

I'll skip the betting.

But while we're on the details, starting at the Upper Benson trailhead and finishing at the Averyville Road trailhead is considered officially to have "done the whole trail end to end." That's 120 miles or so. It's bad enough to have to run the Cedar River Road. 6 miles on pavement is more tiring than 30 miles in the woods. I would not add the road miles in Northville and Placid to the route.

l identify VERY STRONGLY with this from Randomscooter:

"When I run in the woods, especially absent a trail, through unbroken forest, my senses focus on, and become attuned to, my surroundings. The faster I run, the more difficult the terrain, or the longer the run, the more I must focus and the less I can allow the trappings of human existence to crowd my mind lest I suffer that one lethal lapse of concentration. A point is reached where I am, in a sense, no longer a human visiting the forest but a creature of the forest. I have emptied my mind of humanity. It is a powerful, and visceral, experience."

It's like you read my mind. I love my hiking partners. But my best days in the woods are long summer bushwhacks, alone, running at my own pace.

"Those who know cannot explain; those who don't cannot understand."

Tom
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
hillman1
skiing demi-god

First off--there are many people on this board that have set off to thru hike this trail and failed. I have done it thru twice. The first time I started the day after bushwacking sawtooth 3 from the north, and hiked every single day in a deluge.
Secondly, I am absolutely positively certain that a 5 day npt thruhike for me is not even a challenge. Last year, my girlfriend did it in 9 days, and that was with a day off to "smell the roses" and she is not even a hiker.
Third point--I will carry a spot navigator for a three day hike. Four days would certainly be much more comfortable, but knowing neil as I do, because we have hiked extensively together, I have no doubts about putting up 16 hour days for three days in a row. I recall a few years back we did a three day bushwack starting in blue lake over twin blue ridges and finished out in the moose river plains on the road in the little moose area. We wouldn't even have to run, just hike. I don't even see where people get all tussled up about this crap--it is freaking hiking for gods sake. It is to get away from the mundane jobs that we need to perform to maintain our lives.
Fourth--this thread started as a bit of a joke, but if neil is in for this--I am definitely in. I understand the RC is a tremendous athlete that hikes and runs all the time...but guess what--I'm pretty certain that Neil and myself get out once in a while also. I snowshoe and ski every single day, along with climbing mountains, cycling and running. I'm no olympian, but I am someone that can without any doubt, finish that flat trail throughh the woods in 72 hours.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #45
Neil
Kayak-46

I'll go halfers with you on the Spot.

Interested in a detour over Sawtooth 3 for finishers? We never did get to try our inbound route in reverse. I think there's a thread on here about that trip.

Since I have no background or tradition with the NPT, (although I have hiked several sections of it while on other hikes) I like the sound of the Upper Benson TH which shaves off 13 miles.

If Doug says we can do it in 3 days well then....Yes we can!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #46
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Day 1--Upper Benson to west lake
day 2 West lake to tirell pond
day 3 tirell pond to averyville(the hard day)
So the question would be purity of the hike. I am openly suggesting we prehike each section and stash a camp. Leave sleeping bags, clothes, food, stoves, and general niceties at each campspot, freeing us up to be light and semifast. Would this violate anybodys sensibilities? Would this be cheating? We would do a posthike and clean out our stash. Would a car ride at each road section ruin the idea? The more I look at this, the more I need it. My life has sucked lately, and this is the type of thing that can bring me back to my sensibilities. A rebirth of sorts.

Last edited by Dick; 01-29-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Old 01-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #47
Neil
Kayak-46

I have no problems with stashing gear except it's a hassle.

Based on a few recent overnight whacks I would anticipate pack weights in the 15 pound range plus water.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #48
hillman1
skiing demi-god

If we don't stash, which I like because it forces our hand to each camp with no net for a failure--what about a stove? No pepsi can. We need a failproof option. Secondly--sleep system. My down summer bag is light, you have one also, right? Rain gear--I'm going ultralight poncho, can double as a shelter. I'm wearing gore tex runners with darn tough socks, have you seen these yet. There is no comparison. They are the best, hands down, no competition. I will be using a camelback, I think pills are lighter than a filter, and the water out there is drinkable anyway. My filter has been dead weight on both hikes. Last year, the bugs were too bad to stop long enough to use it. The planning for this kind of thing turns my wheels. I am so excited that I cannot even stand it. No kidding. I wish it was may. For headlamps, I am going as light as possible. We do not need gps, map and compass, printed out on lighter paper. We can lighten this up to nothing.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #49
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I'll be the guy with the pretty wife sipping "Turkey" as you young bucks go sprinting past! Power to ya! Just got done doing 3 miles in ButtermilkFalls SP in Ithaca with the dogs.. Nice !

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #50
Neil
Kayak-46

Eating cold is an option but the Pepsi Can stove allows us to boil water for a pouch of freeze-dried each night. Instead of wasting time making coffee I can get a caffeine fix by chewing coffee beans covered in dark chocolate while hiking.

I'll get whatever shoes and socks you recommend and test the setup well in advance.

My bag and pad weigh less than 2 lbs. My tarp is big enough for 2 and weighs a pound. My sleeping pad is also my pack's padding. My pack weighs 14 ounces empty. The ion headlamp one ounce. Water filters are sinfully heavy. I have iodine-free tablets that make water taste like the local swimming pool. No gps, no camera etc. etc.

For training, on my work days I can easily walk 15 miles while wearing any weight of pack I want. On my off days there's no limit.

This is fun. See my sig line.

Bugs wouldn't slow us down - quite the contrary. But wet, muddy, boggy, flooded trail, swollen creek crossings might.

My quick guess is that this hike would require about 40000 calories of energy. Body fat provides about 4000 cals per pound. Might as well use that as the main energy source. Brain matter supplies.....just kidding.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #51
sky
defender of newtbears

I'd join the three-day insanity but i'm planning for 4 this year.

i am, however, willing to play "official timer" on this. if it happens
Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #52
Dunbar
Unfathomable Intellect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1 View Post
If we don't stash, which I like because it forces our hand to each camp with no net for a failure--what about a stove? No pepsi can. We need a failproof option.
Don't carry stove, cookware, spoon/fork, or fuel. I've done 3 days without these easily.

See if you can convince/coerce/bribe someone to do a food drop. At about 2lbs food/day it could make a difference.

Tablets work fine and save a good bit of weight.

Put the heavier stuff in the other guy's pack.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #53
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Put the heavier stuff in the other guy's pack.
Especially for those crossings like the Sacandaga River.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #54
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have iodine-free tablets that make water taste like the local swimming pool.
Is that a good thing?
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #55
Rik
H-E-R-O

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...829&TextPage=1

Some reading material.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #56
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRiverRun View Post
Is that a good thing?
Lots of pee, band-aids, pubes and worse in public pools, huh?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #57
Rik
H-E-R-O

http://www.adktrailrun.com/?p=33

And some more.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #58
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Crank it up! Very Light! and beaver fever takes a few days to kick in, so just goto the MD once you get home!

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #59
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

I think you guys are going to need Corporate sponsors. Matching shirts to start, then;

This place looks like it makes some damn good trail grub.

And lodging before or after could take place here.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #60
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRiverRun View Post
I think you guys are going to need Corporate sponsors. Matching shirts to start, then;

This place looks like it makes some damn good trail grub.

And lodging before or after could take place here.

I see kickbacks here! Corruption and such....LOL

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23