Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Whitehouse Open

The Road to Whitehouse is open.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
forgedin78

and is now closed again

THe road to Whitehouse is closed as of june 25th. There is a bridge out and I wonder if they will even repair it since there has been so much controversy over this road. Bummer for me, since I drove up there hoping to do some fishing. I guess I'll have to come in from Piseco now.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78
THe road to Whitehouse is closed as of june 25th. There is a bridge out and I wonder if they will even repair it since there has been so much controversy over this road. Bummer for me, since I drove up there hoping to do some fishing. I guess I'll have to come in from Piseco now.
The bridge over Jimmy Creek. I just spoke with the Town Supervisor and there is a temproray bridge coming up from Atlanta next week, unless this new round of rain delays that.

That road is amintained by the Town of Wells and since there are year round permanent residents beyond that, the bridge will be rebuilt.

I will post when the situation changes.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 06-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Volte
Old Enough to Know Better

What happened? Did the area get that much rain?
Volte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volte
What happened? Did the area get that much rain?
Yes we have had a very wet couple of months. And jummy creek is a main source of runoff.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
RC
Woods Runner

after the last few days "that much rain" is an understatement.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
forgedin78

Yeah this flooding right now in my area along the mohawk is ridiculous. Its worse than any spring thaw flood in the past 20 years.

It looks like speculator/wells got another 5 inches of rain since this past weekend when I was there.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
RC
Woods Runner

I rode around the sacandaga Lake and up past Redhawks house and the amount of water flow was just crazy.

RC
Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

O yea, you did get alot of rain up there!!!!!!

Check out the gage in hope:

http://americanwhitewater.org/gauges/id/195/
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
forgedin78

any news?

hopefully redhawk will chime in here. Is there any news about the bridge on west river road in wells? Is it fixed? Temp. Bridge in place?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
redhawk

West River Road is still closed from Jimmy Creek to Whitehouse. I don't think the bailey bridge has arrived yet.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Just joined the site. I wanted to say I talked with the ranger in Wells yesterday (7/29). The bridge at Jimmy Creek is still out. Too bad, cause I talked my husband into section hiking from Whitehouse to Piseco with me and we couldn't get there from Wells. I may try hiking in, wading across the creek, and then section hiking it. We did hike part of the Dunning Pond trail so the day wasn't wasted.
ccockrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccockrell
Just joined the site. I wanted to say I talked with the ranger in Wells yesterday (7/29). The bridge at Jimmy Creek is still out. Too bad, cause I talked my husband into section hiking from Whitehouse to Piseco with me and we couldn't get there from Wells. I may try hiking in, wading across the creek, and then section hiking it. We did hike part of the Dunning Pond trail so the day wasn't wasted.
You could hike into Murphy Lake from Creek Road or around the back of Middle Lake which is beautiful.

Or Tkae the NPT from Piseco to the bridge that crosses the runoff creek from Buckhorn Lake and bushwhack around the lake. There is an osprey nest on the South dise and 11 Great Blue Heron nests viewable from the North side.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
RC
Woods Runner

The new bridge is on site and SHOULD be in place and useable by wednesday. 8/3.

RC
Old 07-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
You could hike into Murphy Lake from Creek Road or around the back of Middle Lake which is beautiful.

Or Tkae the NPT from Piseco to the bridge that crosses the runoff creek from Buckhorn Lake and bushwhack around the lake. There is an osprey nest on the South dise and 11 Great Blue Heron nests viewable from the North side.
<Many thanks. I've done both the Murphy Lake and Middle Lake hikes and they are indeed beautiful. I see the new bridge will be in by 8/3 so I may not have to hike in from Piseco. Since I still feel pretty novice as a hiker, I tend to avoid bushwhacks if I can. But I'd love to see the nests.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
forgedin78

The Buckhorn lake bushwack is perfect for a novice, since its only a few hundred yards off the NPT and you can't miss it, its a big lake. Just follow the outlet up from the modern wooden bridge that the trail crosses. Plus its pretty close to the road, you'll probably be able to hear traffic if you listen closely enough. Plus the lake is surrounde by 3 mountains on 3 sides and the NPT on the other, fairly foolproof. I am glad to hear that the bridge will be in soon though, although I think its too warm to do any fishing now. I guess I will just be scouting.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Thanks for the further description. Now that I put both descriptions together, I realize I hiked there this winter on a snowshoe hike. My husband and I met up with a group from Speculator for the hike, including 2 guides. We saw the osprey nests, stood right underneath them. Then had a little hot tea on a point of land and snowshoe'd back to Piseco. Crossed back over the beaver dam and generally had a great day out. At the end we all went back to Speculator and had lunch at a place in the village.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccockrell
Thanks for the further description. Now that I put both descriptions together, I realize I hiked there this winter on a snowshoe hike. My husband and I met up with a group from Speculator for the hike, including 2 guides. We saw the osprey nests, stood right underneath them. Then had a little hot tea on a point of land and snowshoe'd back to Piseco. Crossed back over the beaver dam and generally had a great day out. At the end we all went back to Speculator and had lunch at a place in the village.
I've showshoed in there also......In JUNE!!

It allows me to get out to the edge of the spaghum moss bog and close enough to get close up pictures of the herons and their young with a 300 meter lens. At the same time I am far enough away that I represent no threat to the herons.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
I've showshoed in there also......In JUNE!!

It allows me to get out to the edge of the spaghum moss bog
You sly old fox
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #20
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee
You sly old fox
nope.........

Wise Old Bird!!