Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #81
xcspirit
**BANNED**

aweful between cedars and spruce...one of the dams...wish i knew the name...was raging water and there was ABSOLUTLEY NO XING...ahhh...crawled across log with 35lb. pack and 60 lb. dog in white water then couldnt find the trail on the other side...no marker where you should cross...lots of blow downs...if anyone does it early this year bring snow shoes trust me...

anyways...wheres french louis cave???
xcspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #82
WBB

I think you are refereeing to the bridge at Sampson Bog outlet. I was through there in November and it was gone. It made for a difficult crossing. Also the bridge at West Canada Creek was in bad shape. The cribbing that held up the middle had washed out . At the time I thought in would not last another winter. As always the reroute past South Lake was wet With either end of the bride there under water.
Xcspirit you have my sympathy we did Benson to Piseco in April of 2000 and ran into heavy snow until Mud Lake. It made for a long day seeing as we had left our snow shoes at home.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #83
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Sky and I are doing Hawk Vittles (of course). I can bring along the Primus or the Jetboil stoves. I think we should have at least two stoves. I have a coffee press for the Jetboil ad a "Press-bot" that turns a wide mouth Nalgene into a coffee press. Do we want to "pool" on the coffee? Just get one brand for all of us?

Thats leaves First Aid Kit (ME), Water filter, Collapsable bucket would be nice for washing, Saw or hatchet (ME), and any cooking utensils we may need. That pretty much covers the group stuff, (I think). I always have firestarter in my kit. If anyone has and want's to bring in a camp lantern, fine, but not essential.
Hawk
I have an MSRSimmerlite and would be willing to help share the load of communally used gear. I have a Katadyn water filter - brand new, but will also bring along purifying tablets (back up). I've got to work on "lightening" my personal load, but can make allowance for the communal gear. OK?

Wyldeflower
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #84
whitefoot

I,ve been watching this thread for awhile wishing i could go, things are changing for me know and i may be able to afterall,

is there room for 1 more, maybe just a section hike for me though, im starting a new job and wont have any vacation time yet.

ive hiked the NPT twice before and several sections at other times.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #85
DuctTape
Out of Shape

whitefoot... Rickie and I are possibly doing a section of the trail with everyone, we are waiting for the dates to be finalized and looking at our own calendars. We are in Rochester, I am sure it would be no problem to grab you on the way through the 'cuse if it all works out.
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #86
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'll ask Sky to verify this but as it stands now, I believe we will be starting on the 17th of August from the Averyville trailhead and finishing an the 28th at the Upper Benson trailhead.

Sky has the itinerary worked out and on a spreadsheet in google Docs.

When she sees this I'm sure she will Post more information.

What Wyldeflower, Frosty, Sky and myself now have to work out is the transportation situation. We will need to ba ablt to get the four of us and our gear to Averyville, need to have a car in Benson that can transport us and gear back to Placid or to stops along the way if we spot cars at other trailheads to resupply out of (one possibility).

As far as gear goes, I'm bring one stove, and we will certainly need a second for four of us. The other community property would be a first aid kit, saw or hatchet for cutting up the gathered firewood, possibly a collapsible bucket for washing. We should have two water filters, (just in case) although boiling water if necessary works.

The other question is sleeping. rae Wyldeflower and frosty intending on bringing, tent, bivy or hammock ot relying solely on lean-tos? if tenting do you guys want to share a tent together, etc. Thats about the only other "community" property Issue that would be necessary to decide. Both Sky and I plan on not using the lean-to's but can pitch hammock, tent, etc near the lean-to if thats what the others decide.

Once the itinerary is posted and those who are going to do sections decide which they are going to join us on, then we might be able to make arrangement for them to resupply us when they join us.

I do know that if the logistics and timing can be worked out, We'd like a lift from down the road past McCains to Wakely Dam to avoid that road march.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #87
RC
Woods Runner

If any of you have a car/truck big enough to transport all of you and your gear I'm willing to ride up to placid and drive it back to the benson trailhead for you so you will not have to make the trip back up to placid after the hike. Or I can drop it off at Hawks or Sky's for that matter. Also depending on when your hitting the road I might be able to shuttle you to wakely.

RC
Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #88
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
If any of you have a car/truck big enough to transport all of you and your gear I'm willing to ride up to placid and drive it back to the benson trailhead for you so you will not have to make the trip back up to placid after the hike. Or I can drop it off at Hawks or Sky's for that matter. Also depending on when your hitting the road I might be able to shuttle you to wakely.
RC
1. That might work and would be appreciated it it's doable (The vehicle big enough).

2. The Wakely thing... We'll be camping at Stephens pond the night before so we should be able to co-ordinate times. I'll be carrying my RINO which had FRS/GMRS radio and I have a couple of Motorolas that you could use to communicate with us as to how far away we are, etc. We would have to be a little way down the road from the McCain's property so as not to disturb him.

We'll see as time gets closer, thanks.

The other thing I think is if we spot one car at the Piseco trailhead out of the W Canada's with some resupply, we could then avoid that road walk by driving it to the Rte 8 trailhead to Whitehouse/Benson.

We also have several other people who will be doing a leg or two with us so we can plan some resupply out of that.

we may also do some day hikes, into Tirrell Pond for instance and cache some resupply in their. I'm trying to figure what to use for containers. If we can cache food and batteries that will cut down on a lot of weight. I'm aiming for a pack around 15 pounds, 20 max.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #89
RC
Woods Runner

I have my Rino also so that's no problem. Let me know what you guys need and I'll do my best to help out. I can help with resupplies if needed also if we can work around my work schedule.

RC
Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #90
sky
defender of newtbears

YAY!!!! KIM'S DEFINITELY IN!!!!!

That sounds about right. I did change the itinerary a bit, here's how it stands as of right this second.........

Day 1: Moose Pond (8.3 mi)
Day 2: Ouluska Pass (9.6 mi) - stopping at Duck Hole to go for a swim
Day 3: Plumbleys (10.5 mi)
Day 4: Caitlin Bay (11.4 mi) - we should stay at the second one...
Day 5: Tirrel Pond (12 mi) - weeee big hill
Day 6: Stephens (8 mi) - I don't object stopping at Durant to shower....
Day 7: Carry (13.4 mi; 6.8 w/o the "death march"...I mean road walk)
Day 8: West Lake (12 mi)
Day 9: Fall Stream (11.9 mi: no LT)
Day 10: Hamilton LS (11.1 mi, 8.1 mi w/o road walk)
Day 11: Silver (10.8 mi)
Day 12: Done! (7.5 and the last 1.2 is downhill )

We could also do Carry -> Cedar #3 (8.2) -> Spruce #3 (9.3) -> Fall Stream (6.4) but we'd have to add an extra day in there. It might not be a bad thing to consider, especially if we're gonna have to deal with a few extra crossings and some bad trail conditions. Don't forget your crocs....

I don't mind stashing mah car at the bridge so kill the Piseco road walk........I've done it already (sigh....in my camp shoes). But, it's a car so we're all gonna have to be real friendly even though it'll only be 3 miles.

RC, thanks for the shuttle offer. We'll have to see if we can work that out. If you do it, we go into Carry on a Saturday. This time, bring your gear. Geez.

Pack weight goal: 20#. Can probably do it with the resupplies and carrying communal gear.

Hawk, if we cache stuff and we don't/can't carry it out on the way through, you or I can always hike in again later to pick it up.

Is it August yet? I need a vacation.....
Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #91
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
What Wyldeflower, Frosty, Sky and myself now have to work out is the transportation situation. We will need to ba ablt to get the four of us and our gear to Averyville, need to have a car in Benson that can transport us and gear back to Placid or to stops along the way if we spot cars at other trailheads to resupply out of (one possibility).

As far as gear goes, I'm bring one stove, and we will certainly need a second for four of us. The other community property would be a first aid kit, saw or hatchet for cutting up the gathered firewood, possibly a collapsible bucket for washing. We should have two water filters, (just in case) although boiling water if necessary works.

The other question is sleeping. rae Wyldeflower and frosty intending on bringing, tent, bivy or hammock ot relying solely on lean-tos? if tenting do you guys want to share a tent together, etc. Thats about the only other "community" property Issue that would be necessary to decide. Both Sky and I plan on not using the lean-to's but can pitch hammock, tent, etc near the lean-to if thats what the others decide.
I like leanto's myself, but will be carrying a tent because the only time leanto's seem to be filled is when it is raining and that's exactly when I need something ove my head.

I have a Squall2 Tarptent, big enough for two if someone wants to go the leanto route and only use a tent in the event the leanto is full and doesn't want to carry a tent to use only once or twice. It is floorless. I use piece of Tyvek for a ground sheet and have not had problems with bugs or rain.

I also have a 10' x 10' silnylon tarp I'll bring along. I use it for fall camping after the bugs have gone away, but with a group a tarp over the camp kitchen is always a good idea. No poles, but plenty of light weight line to string it from trees.

I have a water filter (katadyn hiker pro) and aqua mira.

I have a small (.85 l) pot for myself, but I received a larger two-pot titanium set for a gift I've never used. I could bring that along. My little alcohol stove is okay for an emergency backup for the group, but it wouldn't do for group cooking (it is barely enough for me).

Packweights under 20 pounds. Days of 12 miles or less. Multiple in-hike re-supplies. It just doesn't get better than this.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #92
Kevin
**BANNED**

I should be able to connect on 2 weekends days of that stretch. August if wide open right now (well, it WAS wide open!).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #93
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm leaving this saturday for a thruhike heading north. Did a food stash at stephens pond area last week in a bearcan. I wish I could take off tomorrow. The bugs were not an issue while I was out there, and the trail was in great shape. I plan on pushing as far as possible every day, but have 11 days free from work. The only side trip I have from the trail is little moose mountain--I will write up a trail report when I get back. There was significant blowdown areas two years ago.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #94
ellsaf

Good luck Hillman, be careful but have a great time. How can an 11 day hike trip report be short?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #95
sky
defender of newtbears

hillman, have fun! this weekend should actually be better to start out......we have a wet week ahead but it's gonna dry up and warm up starting saturday.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #96
hillman1
skiing demi-god

We have 11 days free for the hike, but we are going to try and finish as fast as possible. Not record time--but we plan on doing 2 or 3 big days. Hopefully day 1 and 2 will be 20 milers. My girlfriend wants to try a 30 mile day. I don't know about that one. I'm hoping for warm weather, no bugs, lots of sunshine, and meeting some cool folks way out there. This is actually a warm up hike for a bigger thruhike next year.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #97
ken999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1 View Post
This is actually a warm up hike for a bigger thruhike next year.
Oh??...whatcha hiking thru next year?
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #98
Todd Heyn

It looks like my little group of 3 will be passing your group on the N-P trail around Thursday, August 21st as we hike northbound.

Looking forward to matching some faces with the names here.

In the mean time, my wife and I are going to be hiking across the state of NJ on the AT over a 9 day period from June 28th to July 6th.

It is shaping up to be a great summer for camping and backpacking.
Todd Heyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #99
xcspirit
**BANNED**

silver lake

does anyone know if silver lake is dead AGAIN. ive fished it twice and nothing. i know it was dead 10 years ago and has been restocked this year at least with 2200 brookies. hmmm...idk...kinda pissed. i do think it is dead. so heads up for anyone interested in a stopt here to fish it. by the way i saw hillman at silver lake. hope everything went well on your trip.

ps. everyone should make a tuna fish can cook stove. google it and make it. it works better than my bulky propane stove. and is LIGHT. and cheap fuel too. let me know if you cant find it by googling it and i'll tell ya how to make it. know what?...i'll give ya the link ;-) http://www.kruegerservices.com/fritz/osp/tuna-can.html
xcspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #100
sky
defender of newtbears

I'm gonna say the lake is dead....there's isn't adequate plant life on the bottom to support any fish. When they treated the water to get rid of a certain species, well, they messed it up for everything.