Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
1leg

3-4 day loop

I am looking to plan a 3-4 day hike with my 18yo son this summer we are looking to do 25-35 mile loop or we can get droped off and picked up. I'm not worried about elevation chang but want to avoid very rocky trails due to the fact that I use an above knee prosthetic any suggestions would be grate. Thanks
1leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

You might want to check out the Seward loop. You could go in at the summer trailhead at Coreys, go down Calkins brook trail to Coldriver to the Npt. then hike along the river to the Wardbrook trail that will take you back to the trailhead, look at your National Geographic Maps I think it is map 742. Its a easy hike with great views of the mt.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
dundee

Bob has a good idea here. Both the the Calkins and Ward Brook Trails are old fire service roads and rocks would be at a minimum. The NP from Calkins to seward LT is also an old road and the section from the Hermits camp to ward Brook is an old logging road. he only section of foot trail is from Seward to the Hermits and that's not terribly rocky.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
snapper
snapper

The route already mentioned is definitely a good one to consider. You might also want to look at the trails up in the Five Ponds/Cranberry Lake region. You can do a loop up to High Falls and then back around past Cranberry Lake. The parking areas are only a half mile apart if my memory serves me correctly so there's not a lot of road walking to connect the loop. The trail can be wet at times due to beaver activity but it's still a great place to explore.

That's all for now. Take care, best of luck in selecting your route and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Vthiker77

3-4 day loop

Cranberry Lake 50
Vthiker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

I agree with VThiker...the CL 50 is a perfect 3-4 day leisurely hike, not rocky at all and some of the best pristine wilderness spots in the ADK region
colinzeye is offline   Reply With Quote