Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a 39 year-old mom of two EXTREMELY energetic children. I own a costume/clothing designing business. Most of the stuff I make is from the Elizabethan era, and my most recent adventure has been to design patterns for Simplicity. I went to school at SUNY Oswego for theatre (scenic and costume design), and grew up in the Pulaski area.

I've loved the outdoors since I was a kid, and spent summers canoeing on Sandy Pond just off Lake Ontario, at my grandparent's camp. Boy, I miss those days. I've only climbed one mountain in my life and it was a serious workout. I'm hoping to get back in shape over the winter and tackle my first peak in the spring/summer of next year.

In my spare time, I enjoy drawing, painting, photography, blogging and easy hiking. Hubby got me involved in kayaking, but I'm not a big fan of whitewater. Give me a slow, easy creek and a canoe, and I'm MUCH happier.

I'd like to work on rock climbing, but I'm pretty inexperienced. I have the gear, but haven't yet made the time to work on it. There's a great climbing gym in Rochester - maybe someday I'll get over there again and get some practice in.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Comment

• Just a little...

That's my wife! Thought I'd jump on here and introduce myself. She's been talking about what a great group this is since she joined, and she's getting very excited about climbing some peaks!! As am I.

I'm 37 and have been pretty inactive for the past 3 years (strange how that times out with the birth of our first child). I'm a computer guy (eLearning developer), so my job is pretty sedentary, but, our kids are getting old enough so that we can start taking them with us on outings, camping trips, hikes, etc.

I've been an avid rock climber, skydiver, snowboarder and whitewater kayaker since 1992 (up until 2004) and am looking forward to getting involved again. Seems like there's a great community in our area, and TONS of great places to explore.

I spent 2 years (1993 & 1994) working as a raft guide on the Arkansas River in Colorado and climbed a few 14ers while I was out there (Mt. Antero & Shavano), but haven't climbed any peaks in NY. I've been rock climbing at several places in the area, including Utica, Keene Valley, the Escarpment and the Gunks and can't wait to get our kids on the rocks and up some peaks.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading several threads so far and have seen some spectacular pictures. Can't wait to get back out there!!

Blue skies!!

Comment

• Originally posted by flashpipe View Post
        That's my wife! Thought I'd jump on here and introduce myself. She's been talking about what a great group this is since she joined, and she's getting very excited about climbing some peaks!! As am I.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading several threads so far and have seen some spectacular pictures. Can't wait to get back out there!!

Blue skies!!
        Hope to see you out there - we've got a few of us who've been trying to meet Saturday mornings in the various local Rochester hikes - let us know if you'd like to join us...

WinterWarlock

(Blue skies?? I'm waiting for the snow!)
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

I'm 37 and have been pretty inactive for the past 3 years (strange how that times out with the birth of our first child). I'm a computer guy (eLearning developer), so my job is pretty sedentary, but, our kids are getting old enough so that we can start taking them with us on outings, camping trips, hikes, etc.

I've been an avid rock climber, skydiver, snowboarder and whitewater kayaker since 1992 (up until 2004) and am looking forward to getting involved again. Seems like there's a great community in our area, and TONS of great places to explore.

I spent 2 years (1993 & 1994) working as a raft guide on the Arkansas River in Colorado and climbed a few 14ers while I was out there (Mt. Antero & Shavano), but haven't climbed any peaks in NY. I've been rock climbing at several places in the area, including Utica, Keene Valley, the Escarpment and the Gunks and can't wait to get our kids on the rocks and up some peaks.

Blue skies!!
          You're going to have to get a babysitter or take turns watching the kids so you can guys can get out more.
          Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Heyyyyyy, don't I know you??
            Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Comment

• Hello, I've been on this forum for a while but I've been so busy with planning my eventual move to Fulton County that I haven't been on board for a time. I'm a 52 years young woman who works in Aviation Technology and my first exposure to the Adirondack Region was in 1977 when the Air Force sent me to Griffiss AFB in Rome. I learned to ski there, tobagan, went hiking, swam in streams, drank water that came right out of the ground, saw the leaves change into colors divine, went jogging in the snow at night. I had just come back to the states from Okinawa, spent some time with my mother on Long Island and then drove my old VW bug up north of the city to my new assignment. All these years later, I've lived in Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma and Florida and I decided to buy land in New York and live there forever. I bought a 23 1/2 acre chunk of pretty land in Fulton County (see the tiny piece in my avatar?) and am aiming to build a cabin there if I have to drag and peel my own logs to do it. Don't put it past me...I got lots of tools and 2 chainsaws! I also have ice and a big bottle of Aleve. I'm going to Seattle in January to take that log home building class in Monroe. Anybody been to that yet? Once my daughter graduates college next winter, I'll be looking to transfer to Albany International Airport with my job and get going on this cabin. Everyday I dream of those rolling hills....

Comment

• Welcome to the forum.

Fulton county sounds nice. I've thought about property around there but in may have to wait until the kids are out of college.

Are you atheist? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Praying the bear is a Buddhist was good.
                Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

• [QUOTE=spiralsands;84078]piece in my avatar?) and am aiming to build a cabin there if I have to drag and peel my own logs to do it.
                  Not to talk you out of it ,BUT, I've been working on this for 15 years and expect to finish in another 15. It had a full porch on the front,[right side not shown], but the tornado of 98 uprooted two huge trees and dropped them on it, its on my re-do list! They do sell a manufactured log home and I would have laughed at the idea 10 years ago, but now?????
                  Attached Files

Comment

• To Little Rickie: I never thought I'd be writing to you of all people! My daughter is such a big Lucy fan! I can't really answer your question about atheism the cut and dry way you may expect. I don't believe in fairy tales and I can't put my spiritual faith in a religion invented by government to maintain political power. History is the truth, not fable. I cringe at the sight of a crucifix because I cannot emotionally separate it from the instrument of torture it is. Like Bob Dylan said, "I couldn't get used to eating that flesh and drinking that blood". However, I am intrigued by the Buddhist notion that consciousness cannot be destroyed because it is an inherent part of nature. I really really like that idea. But our spirituality can be very complex or very simple. I like simple.

To Adk Drifter: As far as cabin building, I was thinking more of a whole log cabin built in the butt and pass style. A one story wonder that follows the line of my front pasture. I could always hire someone to do it for me but then I'd have another mortgage on my land wouldn't I...I am really really sick of having a bank own my home. I own my little lot outright and that to me feels like sanctuary.

Your beautiful barn style home is really very nice. Good work! You should be very proud of it. I bet it's really cozy inside. My sister in Sanford, FL has an A-Frame that looks like it has the same kind of log shape. She has a very rustic stone fireplace too but the whole shebang looks totally out of place in her industrial suburb near the end of the runway next to the airport. Too bad!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=spiralsands;84094]
                      To Adk Drifter: As far as cabin building, I was thinking more of a whole log cabin built in the butt and pass style. A one story wonder that follows the line of my front pasture.

Thinking about it, go for your dream! Make sure you start with a good foundation and you can't go too far wrong!!.....H.

Comment

• New here

Hello everyone. I’ve been lurking around here for a few weeks but this is my first post. What a great Adirondack resource this seems to be. How did we get by before forums?

I guess I’ll give a little background info about me. I grew just north of the blue line and have enjoyed the outdoors since I was very young. I started out as a diehard hunter/fisherman but seldom do either now. I do enjoy shooting a few ducks now and then though. After that, I was bitten by the whitewater kayaking bug and have paddled many of the classic runs around the northeast. Right now, I have been out of the whitewater scene for about 4 years and most of my paddling buddies from Plattsburgh have moved away or we’ve just lost touch. I would love to do some more paddling this spring though.

I am an aspiring 46’r too. I have 14 under my belt, some in summer, some in winter and some several times over. That is another priority for this summer. I guess I should mention that I just moved back to the area after spending 5 years in the Canton area. While out there, I worked long hours, drank beer and got fat! Working long hours out of town took its toll on me. I did what I had to do for my career though. Anyway, since I got back I’ve gotten into my old hobbies and all is well.

That brings me to my latest passion. Last summer I bought a solo canoe and spent all of my free time paddling the Saranac River, SRCA and anything else around that seemed cool. I plan on doing the 90 miler this fall.

Well, that’s all I have for now. Don’t worry, this will probably be my longest post.

Thanks everyone,

Gregg

Comment

• Just found this thread. Been on the board since 2004 when I started to get back into hiking. My first climb was at the age of 4. The family climbed Blue Mountain to the fire tower. That was back in 1957. Guess that makes me an old fart being an AARP member huh? We always family camped EVERY weekend when school was out at Lake Durant. They always saved site number 32 for us cause rain or shine we were there.

I work for Warren County in whatever capacity they chose to pay me. By education and profession, I am a geologist. In actuality, I am a special projects manager currently looking at returning train service to Tahawus for use by tourists to access the high peaks.

I have done a number of solo hikes and some with an old high school friend. In 66 we did our first overnight trip. Well, it was 6 nights from the Upper works through the flowed lands (which we called the flooded lands) to Lake Colden to Marcy to Phelps to Colden and out to Keene Valley. We used it to get ready for fall sports, Jim for cross country and me for football. Did not help me much! Did my time (7 years) in the Air Force with heavies and moved back to the area. Have worked for Warren County since 81. I think my count is around 14 peaks with many being done more than once. In 2003 and 2004 I started hitting the peaks again and then my wife took ill and we spent all our time and $$ finding the cause. Unfortunately, we found the cause and it is not kind. Kinda puts a damper on things but we make do. The kids have agreed to (they don't know it yet) spend a day here and there at home with their mother so I can resume hiking. I would love to join some of you slower moving people on outings but can not commit to anything until the day of the hike given that we never know how the illness will present itself on any given day.

If anyone is looking to do a quick day hike up Thomas or Cat feel free to give a shout as the trailhead is about a tenth of a mile from our house.
                          Last edited by superglider; 12-26-2007, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Hello from a newbie to this site!

I was born and rasied in Ontario my backround was a pretty straight forward progression for a flat lander. Started hiking, moved to backpacking then Portages finally got in to caving. Most of my hikes were in Frontenac and Bon Echo Parks. I had also spent a good part of my youth enjoying summer days in the Adirondacks around Lake Placid and Lake George but never did much more than short walks to look at what seemed like unreachable mountains.

One day I was @ Tremblant Park 5 years ago and the views from a hike got me hooked. I knew it was time to revisit the High Peaks and attempt one of the 4k mountains.

After much research and what seemed like a never ending walk up I had reached the summit of Cascade Mountain on a fine summer day and the drug had been injected full force. Views of Algonquin Peaks dome summit and craggy Pitchoff made me ready for many new trips in the range. It was wonderful to revisit an area of my youth with a new set of eyes.

Years later I have visited and climbed in the ADKs, Greens, Whites, Sierra, Southern Costal, Great Basin, Cascades (volcanoes and interior), Selkriks, Rockies and many other areas. The Adirondacks are still my home and has not lost one bit of its charm. I prefer it over any other range in the east for the beautiful mix of wilderness and comfort plus those wonderful nasty trails that keep you fit for any approach on a western peak.

To my surprise the ADKs have become brand new once again now that I have started technical climbing. The area has so many challenges in more remote settings than places like NH and route descriptions are vauge at best making for even more adventure.

One thing that really stands out in the mountains of this area are the great and kind people that make for such a wonderful place to call home.
                            Last edited by James_W; 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM.
                            A few hours mountain climbing turns a rogue and a saint into two roughly equal creatures. Weariness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity—and liberty is finally added by sleep - Friedrich Nietzsche

sigpic

Comment

• "To my surprise the ADKs have become brand new once again now that I have started technical climbing."

James,

I like the way you put that. It's funny how the Adirondacks become "brand new" as you get into different activities. For me, it started with hunting/fishing then whitewater kayaking, cross country skiing hiking and finally canoeing. Now I still do everything except I really don't hunt or fish that much. I grew up just north of the blue line and even after spending all that time here, I still have so much more to see and do. Ain't it great?

Welcome.

Gregg

Comment

• Hiking in the Adirondacks

I'm Swiss (21 years old) and major in English literatur and linguistics at the University of Zurich. To improve my English I applied to become a camp counselor and got hired. In summer 2006 I came for my first summer to the Adirondacks (Old Forge, NY). In the camp I work at, I'm responsible for the 14 and 15 year old boys. One of my responsibilities at camp is to organize and lead overnight trips (canoeing or hiking). I personally prefer to go hiking in the High Peaks. I'm an 18er. In June I will return for my third summer and I'm really looking forward to this. I really got into the High Peaks and I'm planning on becoming a 46er.

Comment

Working...
                                X