This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wecome Phoenixfighter.

Where are you staying when you come to the states?.

And just out of curiosity, the Alps aren't enough of a challenge? Theres lots of hikes there that don't require technical climbing. Or is it the mountain forest that draws you?

Hawk
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• @redhawk
      Most of my summer I spend in camp in Old Forge, NY (as a counselor). From there I go on trips to the High Peaks. Last year I could stay at my friend's place once camp was over so that I could stay a little longer in the Adirondacks. I don't know about this summer yet. Maybe I will be able to stay once more at my friend's place.

Concerning your other question: Of course, the Alps are a big challenge and i have been hiking in the Alps. But most of those peaks are actual mountains and thus way higher than the High Peaks. I prefer hiking rather than technical climbing. And the mountain forest (in the High Peaks) really draws me. I'm for instance planning on doing an overnight trip to Dial, Nippletop, Colvin, and Sawteeth. The views you have there looking at Gothics and the other peaks of the Great Range, the views of Ausable lakes, especially from Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs, are nicest views I have ever seen. I'm really looking forward to this trip, even though I still need to wait about five months until I can do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenixfighter View Post
        @redhawk
        Most of my summer I spend in camp in Old Forge, NY (as a counselor). From there I go on trips to the High Peaks. Last year I could stay at my friend's place once camp was over so that I could stay a little longer in the Adirondacks. I don't know about this summer yet. Maybe I will be able to stay once more at my friend's place.

Concerning your other question: Of course, the Alps are a big challenge and i have been hiking in the Alps. But most of those peaks are actual mountains and thus way higher than the High Peaks. I prefer hiking rather than technical climbing. And the mountain forest (in the High Peaks) really draws me. I'm for instance planning on doing an overnight trip to Dial, Nippletop, Colvin, and Sawteeth. The views you have there looking at Gothics and the other peaks of the Great Range, the views of Ausable lakes, especially from Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs, are nicest views I have ever seen. I'm really looking forward to this trip, even though I still need to wait about five months until I can do it.
        I pretty much figured that was it. On the other hand, I would love to be able to do some hiking in the alps. Not climbing, but just the opportunity to spend some time in those beautiful Alpine meadows. It's one place (well among many) that i haven't been to that i would like to have had the opportunity.

So now you are on 'the first trip'. I break treks away from where I live into three "trips" the first is the planning. getting the maps and the guides, researching on the Internet, planning the gear and setting the itinerary and taking the trip in my mind. Visualizing many of the things i am going to see when i get there, wondering how much more spectacular it is going to be in real time compared to the pictures I've seen and the terrain I've visualized in my mind.

Then there is the actual trip seeing with my own eyes the splendors that until now were only images on paper, or a computer screen or in my mind based on the descriptions of the guidebook authors.

Then there is the 'trip after the trip", many of those actually. That's when i begin to tell someone about it and pull out the photos I have taken and show on the topo software exactly where the pictures were taken from. Sometimes I have snippets of video that are solely recorded sound, maybe a thunderstorm, or an elk trumpeting or thousands of peepers singing their symphony. Birdsong, the sounds of rushing water and I can close my eyes and once again relive those moments in time.

That's the great thing about backpacking, we do it in our, imagination, in actuality, and finally in our memories. I'm currently taking my "first trip" planning for the Missouri Breaks, Glacier, Sawtooth, and Mount St. Helen's.

So enjoy the dream, the trip and the memory. Ain't life GRAND?
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• Grew up in Glens Falls, spent my young summers at Sky Farm religious prison stacking wood and swatting mosquitoes. Went to college at Plattsburgh, enjoyed summers risking death jumping off cliffs into Split Rock, Lake George or other water holes. Ran in the Adk Marathon back in the Barry Brown days - that dude was gifted. Many fishing trips (as north as Chazy Lake, as far south of Sagandaga), camping excursions, canoe trips, even got hopelessly lost in the Pharoah Wilderness in '72. Spent some summers catering to tourists in restaurants of Lake George, and being a cowboy at Storytown. Stayed out of the woods for a year after the Robert Garrow scare and was creeped out about swimming in the lakes when Jaws hit the theaters (drive-ins)! Traveled around in the USMC and became aware of much higher mountains, colder winters, darker canopied forests/jungles, stronger rivers, etc. - but still love the relatively tame Adirondacks. Now still stuck in the broken Middle East - but will eventually return and joined the overtaxed, largely poor population of the North Woods.

Comment

• Hey homesick, sounds like you've been all around. I hope you make it back safe and sound to the ADK's and soon too!
            In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. John Muir

Comment

• Thank you for those kind words. Love to find a patch of dirt on Charlie Hill Road, Schroon Lake overlooking the mountains... Just the right amount of seclusion while still on the grid - and quick access to the Northway for day trips to Boston, NYC or Montreal for my city-fied wife!

Comment

• Homesick,
                Keep your head down and thanks for serving!
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

• Head is down!

Many thanks - you can bet I'm keeping my head down.

Comment

• Hi, all. My name is Tammy. I'm a 48 year old lawyer in Virginia, married, mother of a 17 year old boy and 15 year old girl. I'm originally from central NJ. My family has been going to the Eagle Bay area since the early 1900's. According to my mother -- and I have no reason to doubt her, LOL! -- my great aunt Maude owned the property in Eagle Bay that is now Clark's Marina. When the time came for her to give up the properly, she couldn't decide which family members to leave it to, so she sold it off. Ugh.

My mother's family used to stay at a place owned by a family named Shepherd (Shepard, Shepard?) down what's now Train Wreck Point road, right next to North Woods Inn on 4th Lake. That's the first place I remember in the Adirondacks. After my parents were married, my mother would bring me and my brother up on the train to join the family. Eventually, IIRC, the Shepherd's sold the property and we began staying with at Tom and Rose Kane's place, right next to The Kenmore. I went to college in 1977, my brother went in 1978, my parents moved from NJ to Ohio in 1979, and we stopped going . . . until 1990, when we started back again. My kids have been coming since before they were born. We now stay two weeks every summer at the Fulton House, owned by Jon and Leslie Bailey, across 28 from Rondaxe Road. So I have a long history with the region, just done in many two week chunks!

I'm not much of a climber, but I'm happy to wander on the lesser climbs. Actually, I'm happy to plant my butt in an Adirondack chair on the dock and just sit there for my entire two weeks . . .

My husband and I are hoping to retire to that area as soon as our youngest is out of college. He's a computer geek by trade and a photographer on the side and we're hoping the photography might work out up there.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to be here.

Comment

• I grew up outside of Utica, NY and spent quite a bit of time in the Old Forge area as a child. In high school and college I started backpacking and spent time exploring the High Peaks. A few years ago my husband and I bought a small cabin outside Tupper Lake. Since we run a small home business, we have been spending a few months out of each year there with our 2 kids. The rest of the year we live in Buffalo, NY.

Comment

• I recently joined this forum after a few months of "lurking" around looking for info on the Adirondacks.

I'm a married male, 46 years old with 2 children (adult & late teen) and have been spending a lot of time in the wilderness since I was a foetus. My parents were avid hikers/campers and actually had to get back home in a hurry from a (car) camping trip when my mom suddenly went into labor. I was raised in Montreal and lived there for 29 years. I moved to Eastern Ontario (1000 Islands region) in 1991 and been living here happily ever since. Most of my working life has been in the sales and marketing of plumbing & heating supplies. For the past 2 years, I've been working for an environmental remediation equipment manufacturer as their parts coordinator. I enjoy my job and the knowledge our systems help clean up oil & chemical spills all over the US & Canada.

As far as I can remember while growing up (The 80's were a bitch weren't they?), I was always part of an organisation which allowed me good (and safe) access to the woods. Boyscouts, army cadets and the Canadian Army Reserve all contributed in helping me become comfortable in the wilderness. Between the age of 2 and 20, most of my free time was spent camping, hiking, paddling and backpacking in the boreal forests of Quebec and Ontario. I got married at 22 and my wilderness time was reduced a great deal since my wife didn't share my love for the wild places. For many years, car-camping became the standard weekend adventure and my backpacking time was limited to a single short weekend each year. For the last 3 years or so, the wife hasn't been so keen on camping and the kids prefer their nintendo and facebook to spending some quality trail time with the old man so I've been able to get away more often. I've done quite a few (mostly solo) treks in Frontenac, Algonquin and Charleston Lake provincial parks in Ontario. When looking for new territories (on the internet), I came upon this forum and after spending a lot of time reading the numerous posts decided to explore the Adirondacks.

I fell in love!!! My first trip was last year and I chose the easy way. I decided on the Cranberry Lake State Campground as a base for a couple day hikes. On the way in, I'm driving through and everywhere I look, I see a trailhead sign. WOW! I must be in heaven... I spent a GREAT weekend and promised myself I'd be back. It didn't take too long... In October I decided to tackle my first section of the Northville-Placid trail. I spent a blissful long weekend hiking the NPT from Benson to Piseco and I know I'll be back this year to hike the next section.

Thanks to all for making this forum such a great place to share information.
                        Ripples never come back. -Genesis
                        CL50 #49

Comment

• Buster Bear, are you, or are you not, related to the Buster Bear written about in "The Adventures of Buster Bear" by Thornton W. Burgess?

Story here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22816...-h/22816-h.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by samantha View Post
                            I grew up outside of Utica, NY and spent quite a bit of time in the Old Forge area as a child. In high school and college I started backpacking and spent time exploring the High Peaks. A few years ago my husband and I bought a small cabin outside Tupper Lake. Since we run a small home business, we have been spending a few months out of each year there with our 2 kids. The rest of the year we live in Buffalo, NY.

bought a small cabin outside Tupper Lake
                            Do you know a couple whose first names are: Don & Margaret, Pegr? They built a palce near Tupper and live year round now. He's a wallpaper hanger & she is a school librarian.
                            Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

• Buster Bear, are you, or are you not, related to the Buster Bear written about in "The Adventures of Buster Bear" by Thornton W. Burgess?

Story here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22816...-h/22816-h.htm
                              Never heard of this book before but I might be interested in buying one since Buster Bear has been my nickname since the mid 80's.

What about you Lute, Will you admit you are Pennywise, The Clown from IT?
                              Ripples never come back. -Genesis
                              CL50 #49

Comment

• Originally posted by Buster Bear View Post
                                Never heard of this book before but I might be interested in buying one since Buster Bear has been my nickname since the mid 80's.

What about you Lute, Will you admit you are Pennywise, The Clown from IT?
                                Pennywise was eventually subdued, but since nature abhors a vacuum (and I'm doing nothing else), I thought I'd fill the vacancy while awaiting better developments (or a better avatar).

BTW, you can read the actual Buster Bear story in the second link I provided. The Gutenberg Project takes long-out-of-print books and posts them online.

Comment

Working...
                                X