Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
jhart77

Best peak for children?

I am planning on a hike Saturday (7/15/17) and will be bringing my 9 year old son, who has never hiked a high peak before. Any suggestions for the one that would be the most kid friendly? I've already done Cascade/Porter, so I'd like to try a different one.
jhart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
AvalanchePass

Mt. Jo?

Here's a list of possibilities. Note that Owl's Head is only available on weekdays.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Whiteface? The ski stuff/castle thing at the top might be a cool bonus for a 9 year old.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
AvalanchePass

Sorry, missed the fact that you said "High Peak".

After Cascade and Porter, the boys and I (ages 8 and 10) did Big Slide.

We did a loop descending to JBL area but it's shorter if you come back over the three Brothers.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
jhart77

Yep, I'd like to do a high peak if possible. I'm not nearly as familiar with them as I'd like to be. I think in the book I have it said the Big Slide was like 10 miles, which might be a bit much. I also wasn't sure when it said that it descended to the JBL area how that would work as far as parking was concerned. Can you clarify where to park and all that for your "shorter" version?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Mount Jo is a nice trip for kids.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart77 View Post
Yep, I'd like to do a high peak if possible. I'm not nearly as familiar with them as I'd like to be. I think in the book I have it said the Big Slide was like 10 miles, which might be a bit much. I also wasn't sure when it said that it descended to the JBL area how that would work as far as parking was concerned. Can you clarify where to park and all that for your "shorter" version?
Big Slide is 3.9 miles one way from The Garden parking lot. You can return the same way or make it a loop via the Slide Mountain Brook Trail.

Parking lot will likely be full Saturday, in which case you would need to utilize the shuttle.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
saabrian

Depends on the kid. My friend has a 10 year old who is already a 46er. But you know your son's level best. Big Slide might be a good one.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Hear the Footsteps

Phelps might be a good choice. A little over 8 miles round trip. More than 1/2 the is on fairly level terrain.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
ADKREDBEARD
ADKREDBEARD

Giant is a good summit for a first timer. Short and sweet from chapel pond but be prepared for some elevation gain. Also some good rock scrambles to make things fun for him. If you can't decide on a high peak hike Hurricane mtn and get him a firetower under his belt. Enjoy.
ADKREDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
SESZOO

For inexpierienced kids I'd try the VIC in Paul Smiths , They have some easy trails for the kids ,also a fire tower trail at St Regis just down from the college, Not High peaks but easy on the kids to see if they're into it or not..
SESZOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
TCD

This is very confusing.

jhart77 and Jennhart, are you the same person? Looks like it.

Posting the same question under two different user IDs in three different forums within a period of a few days creates a lot of confusion. Folks here are very helpful (most of the time...) and genuinely want to try to help when people post questions, but this is becoming a cluster...

And I think the consensus is "start with something short, level, easy and fun." If the bug bites, there will be time to do more ambitious hikes.

Good luck with the hike!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
jhart77

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their replies. To clarify, I am jhart77 and my wife is jennhart. I had posted the original question and she was trying to clarify if Giant or Phelps were too dangerous or not.

So, what we ended up doing was going up Mount Jo on Saturday and then Giant on Sunday. Giant didn't turn out as well as we'd hoped, but it wasn't because of him at all, it was because I DIDN'T understand one of the signs, and we ended up about a mile out of our way at the peak of Nubble, which was beautiful as well.

We did backtrack and start to head up Giant, but simply ran out of time. We hiked for about an hour more, but we were still a good hour and a half or 2 hours from the peak and it was 4:00 with rain in the forecast, so we headed down.

Besides stopping for breaks a little more often than I probably would have, he did awesome and loved every minute of it.

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
gebbyfish

I've always wondered about the Nubble, but never went over it. Glad I didn't, since it cost you time. I think Phelps would be a better one for a child's first hike. Giant has some tricky steep rock. Glad you did Mt. Jo. It replicates a lot of what you will see on a High Peak hike, but in a much smaller portion. Happy to hear that your little one did well with the weekend. You'll get it next time!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #15
TCD

I'm glad you had a good trip! The Nubble is a very worthwhile destination! When we don't have time for a full size hike, the Nubble is often on our list; we have been up there countless times. It's a moderate hike, with excellent, dramatic views. Glad you got to experience it.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote