Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
WNYakker

Henderson Lake Fishing

Is Henderson Lake a warm water bass type fishery or a cold water trout fishery? Planning a solo canoe camping fishing trip for Thursday through Labor Day at the end of the month but have not decided where, but I want to know what kind of tackle to bring if I decide to go there....

Thanks!

Phil
Old 08-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Lucky13

It is listed by NYSDEC as an Essex County Brook Trout Pond. It is not in the Adirondack Lakes Survey Database, and has no prohibition on the use of fish for bait, so there are likely not many trout and a lot of other species ( sunfish, bullhead, dace etc.).
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

It is a long-standing custom on this forum not to mention brook trout ponds by name. The rationale is that there are plenty of lurkers and that a sensitive pond could get spot-burned. It has happened in the past.

The information you are looking for is easily available on the DEC website. Do some digging, read the UMP's and you may just happen upon a secret gem or two.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #4
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
a secret gem
One day I received a PM from Mr. vt.

In the nicest way possible, he gingerly inquired if I might tell him where I was catching numerous jolly Bismarcks on dry flies; fish he had seen captured with an improvised optical device. In return, he offered to share a “secret gem”, filthy with enormous self-reproducing Splake.
Errr... Brook Trout.

Figuring I could trust the guy, I told him where to go. He promised to keep it under his hat. An offer was made to keep him informed of the best insect hatches as they occurred in near real-time. If he so desired, I proposed to accompany him (for the price of 1 Ruble or Rupee, I don't care...), so as to smooth the curve and make his time on the water more productive and enjoyable. I never promised to control the weather nor fix his lion-taming propensities.

In return, he sent me to perhaps the most difficult-to-reach pond in the entire Adirondacks. A trail-less route so dismal, as to require endless ambulation on tattered hands and shattered menisci knees; where if you cover ¼ mile in two hours, you're doing well.

Thanks a lot, vt.

In conclusion (collusion ?), it must be said that this is one of the least visited and least disturbed places one can go in the Adirondack. In fact, besides vt and Glen (and a few vapors), I know of only one other person who's honestly ever been there, and I'm not so sure about Glen. There must be years on end when Nobody goes there. Thus, the good fishing.

Your secret is safe with me vt. I might fold under torture, but my dogs won't.

Got any good patterns for sub-surface White Flies or Water Shrew?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
aft paddle

Don't feel so special...He told me about Mud Pond too!
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
It is a long-standing custom on this forum not to mention brook trout ponds by name. The rationale is that there are plenty of lurkers and that a sensitive pond could get spot-burned. It has happened in the past.

The information you are looking for is easily available on the DEC website. Do some digging, read the UMP's and you may just happen upon a secret gem or two.
I've seen disclaimers to this effect on other fishing sites, e.g. for Lake Ontario tributaries, but nothin g to that effect here. If this were some kind of "secret" information, or there was a chance that someone could actually fish out a pond, I could agree. All the brook trout ponds are listed by County on the NYSDEC website. The list may be a little dated now, but the late Fran Better's book on ADK fishing has a long list as well. In a case like Henderson Lake, we're not talking about some remote pristine ecosystem, and even the state views it as marginal if there is no prohibition on the use of fish as bait.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Lucky13

I also think that making people aware that a particular pond is classed as Brook Trout water, and no fish can be used, as bait and it is NOT suitable for introduction of other species, all of which could help to prevent degradation of the resource, might outweigh your desire to keep a spot your "secret gem."
Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Don't feel so special...He told me about Mud Pond too!
Was that the one at the end of the 1 mile vertical, or the one that is surrounded by Rattlesnake dens?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I've seen disclaimers to this effect on other fishing sites, e.g. for Lake Ontario tributaries, but nothin g to that effect here. If this were some kind of "secret" information, or there was a chance that someone could actually fish out a pond, I could agree. All the brook trout ponds are listed by County on the NYSDEC website. The list may be a little dated now, but the late Fran Better's book on ADK fishing has a long list as well. In a case like Henderson Lake, we're not talking about some remote pristine ecosystem, and even the state views it as marginal if there is no prohibition on the use of fish as bait.
we just don't do it here, and that is a good, PROVEN, practice. People that claim that its unnecessary are often those that have not seen the effects of putting locations out on the internet first hand. It's a very real thing and it should never be done. I take it a step further and even claim that social media is severely damaging the sport, and its a shame.

and there is a chance that someone could fish out a pond. fish it out completely, and prevent the occurence of big fish in a pond where, human influences being absent, fish are capable of growing big.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Lucky13

At five trout per day, you have to fish an awful lot to fish out a pond, you and a lot of other folks, or poach. Someone asking about a pond and not getting any clear answer and then just going with a bunch of minnows and dumping them afterward, that could ruin a pond for good if it didn't have characteristics that allowed reclamation.

But I'll be a good boy from now on, the fish are found in the water, and they're biting on the end of my line.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
jirwin85

Was just there two weeks ago and threw a line in the water...all I can say is the perch are plentiful. Only fished for a couple hours and saw no risers on the flat water at sunset. My research said bass could be found but not knowing the lake that well I couldn't locate with the warm temps and lower water levels. Dont limit yourself to fishing, explore some of the trails on the north end of the lake. Dm me with any questions...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post

In return, he sent me to perhaps the most difficult-to-reach pond in the entire Adirondacks. A trail-less route so dismal, as to require endless ambulation on tattered hands and shattered menisci knees; where if you cover ¼ mile in two hours, you're doing well.

Thanks a lot, vt.

In conclusion (collusion ?), it must be said that this is one of the least visited and least disturbed places one can go in the Adirondack. In fact, besides vt and Glen (and a few vapors), I know of only one other person who's honestly ever been there, and I'm not so sure about Glen. There must be years on end when Nobody goes there. Thus, the good fishing.

Your secret is safe with me vt. I might fold under torture, but my dogs won't.

Got any good patterns for sub-surface White Flies or Water Shrew?
Quote:
Was that the one at the end of the 1 mile vertical, or the one that is surrounded by Rattlesnake dens?
Dang, Lucky, now my secret's out!

Quote:
At five trout per day, you have to fish an awful lot to fish out a pond, you and a lot of other folks, or poach. Someone asking about a pond and not getting any clear answer and then just going with a bunch of minnows and dumping them afterward, that could ruin a pond for good if it didn't have characteristics that allowed reclamation.

But I'll be a good boy from now on, the fish are found in the water, and they're biting on the end of my line.
So here's a tale about a favorite pond:

It is stocked at a rate of 200 brookies a year. Left to its own devices, it can produce enormous brook trout. If it was C&R only it would continuously provide excellent fishing for enormous brook trout. Even in this scenario, this is a sensitive place. Figure that the loss rate for each year class is 50%, which the biologists tell me is typical. That means we're fishing for maybe a 20 fish 4 years and older if we want the really big ones.

Last year someone caught a 4.5 lb monster out of that little pond. It was fairly well publicized online (not on this forum). I also did well there last Fall.

This Spring I went in to find two boats on the shore, a new fire ring and a pile of garbage. Guess what? There were plenty of 12" fish, a few 14" fish and nothing bigger.

You are free to (respectfully) disagree with me but these are my arguments for a) keeping things quiet and b) C&R fishing using safe methods and only at times that are favorable for survival of a released fish on the really good ponds.

There are PLENTY of ponds where you can go and catch lots of smaller fish for the pan. If we want truly great fishing for big brookies then our collective behavior has to change.

Over and out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post.jpg (137.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Lucky13

Just from that description, I could narrow down the possible ponds quite a bit as there are not too many that only get 200 per year unless there has been a shortfall in the hatchery.

I'll need to go back and check my posts, but I don't recall clearly identifying any trout ponds as such, or at least none that are not the first answer you get in the local hardware stores when you ask where to go brook trout fishing. Honey holes like good poker hands are kept close!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
cutbait

You can research most ADK ponds on the NYSDEC site. Also, you can purchase a general guide to various ADK waters at Walmart, Sportsman's guide I think it's called, for various regions of NYS.
DEC also lists how many trout and what waters trout are stocked in each year in NY.
Information is readily available' just need to work a little for it, as you are unlikely to be spoon fed at this point of your life.
Good luck fishing
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Glen
Check please

VT's limited fishing skill coupled with his high opinion of same results in him thinking if there were bigger fish he would have caught them. Having tolerated him for years now, I can only say that the best approach with him is to just smile and shake one's head. All his advanced math in the world won't get his casts beyond 30 feet. SAD!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Having tolerated him for years now, I can only say that the best approach with him is to just smile and shake one's head.
Hoo boy! It does raise the question: Who has to tolerate whom?

Think I'll open a Conehead IPA and contemplate the matter.