Local Newspaper Objects to Comments from Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Newspaper Objects to Comments from Readers

Has anyone noticed that the Adirondack Enterprise no longer will accept comments on many of the Articles that appear there? This is fairly recent and seems to me a bit odd. Don't all newspapers allow comments from readers? I know I'm online a lot at different papers across the country and it just seems standard fare.
    I liked reading about the local positions on the upcoming ACR development slated for Tupper Lake. Oh well, it's their paper.
    Catch the fleeting sense of Being, before the mind starts chattering. The riches of life are stored here and flow through all beauty.

www.frederickwarner.com

Does seem strange but IMO just another way to control what is being said by the public and promote their insight.

Comment

Apparently "comment spamming" has become a problem for a lot of blogs and news websites. That may have something to do with it. Some of the firewall software looks at comments and can categorize a site as offensive if there are links to objectionable material or certain key words. So if a site get's spammed with links to blocked site, it will get categorized along with them.
      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

That may have been some sort of corporate decision ... our local newspaper (Gloversville Leader-Herald) also stopped accepting comments a couple weeks ago, and I believe they are owned or somehow linked to the Enterprise. I did notice that you could still comment on their editorials.
        sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

The comments section of the ADE seemed to attract a crowd that liked to shout at each other. My guess is about a quarter of what was said over there would be tolerated here.

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
            The comments section of the ADE seemed to attract a crowd that liked to shout at each other. My guess is about a quarter of what was said over there would be tolerated here.
            A quarter?

Try a hundred millionth.

Those "comments" gimmicks just attract flies the same way as does sh!t. My guess is that unless heavily moderated they will all be gone soon.
            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              A quarter?

Try a hundred millionth.

Those "comments" gimmicks just attract flies....
              Okay, I was being generous!

That gets me thinking - I wonder if the move is going to hit them financially because they are likely to have fewer visits and page views, reducing the rates they can charge for ads and/or the number of click-throughs.

Moderation is key to developing a decent community and productive dialog.

Thanks moderators!

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
                Okay, I was being generous!

That gets me thinking - I wonder if the move is going to hit them financially because they are likely to have fewer visits and page views, reducing the rates they can charge for ads and/or the number of click-throughs.

Moderation is key to developing a decent community and productive dialog.

Thanks moderators!
                "Good" moderation.
                "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

It's possible, I suppose, that the Adirondack Daily Enterprise does not even have a "Moderator" that spends any significant amount of time on the comments, cleaning them up, deleting, etc. I've read some pretty crude stuff there and don't recall any censure.
                  I've enjoyed reading the comments about the ACR because the local flavor is very much out in front and it's interesting to hear all the different sides.
                  Catch the fleeting sense of Being, before the mind starts chattering. The riches of life are stored here and flow through all beauty.

www.frederickwarner.com

Comment

Moderation is a fantastic tool to "shape" an online community.

If you only want people to discuss certain topics, or - more to the point - if you only want people to discuss them in certain ways, then moderation is one of the best ways to do that.

The downside is that you can end up creating an echo chamber. A place where mostly like minded individuals share mostly like minded thoughts in a way they all find agreeable. This is great for those individuals - and this is why moderated communities almost always ultimately tend to get along and appreciate and will even point to moderation as the reason for their success. Because those who feel otherwise are gone. They have been moderated out, so to speak.

But a side affect of this is that it also has the potential to limit the robustness of a dialogue, and indeed reduce the capacity of a community to share information and ideas.

It is a fiiiiiiiine line to try to toe.

A line that may not be as important to a website like this, but for a community news outlet discussing very important issues... it is a more essential balance to try and find.

Comment

Considering the content of some of the "letters to the editor" that were published in today's paper, I doubt that the removal of comments on the website are an attempt at censorship of opinions contrary to what the paper publishes.

Comment

Working...
                      X