Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of the 46 ADK high peaks have you climbed?
none 16 6.58%
1-5 43 17.70%
6-10 22 9.05%
11-15 16 6.58%
16-24 27 11.11%
25-35 26 10.70%
36-45 29 11.93%
46 64 26.34%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2003, 12:37 AM   #41
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Done 46 working on my 4seasonX46
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM   #42
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

Since I haven't been living in the area so I haven't done any of those but would like to. However I have been up Mt. Drum 12,010 ft, Mt. Hunter 14, 573 ft, Mt. Spur 11,070 ft, Mt. Marcus Baker 13,176 ft as well as several others less than 10,000 ft. Mt. Spur is a vocano that has been active since my ascent in 1985.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
~~Theodore Roosevelt~~

Last edited by mtgoat; 11-19-2003 at 12:00 PM..
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #43
Mashmann

Well, I've done 20 and little Mash has done 22. First was Gothics and we did quite a few this year. We are definitely picking up steam. Seven in May and June. How about Mountainhaze and the Mavs and the Mashers plan on doing their 46th on Labor Day, 2004 and we'll all meet on the top of Whiteface. That would mean we would have to do 24 between the end of July and the beginning of September. Unlikely at best but fun to think about. (I guess we'll probably finish in 2005.)

For years when the kids were little we did low peaks and hikes of interest - Buck Mountain, Hadley Mountain, hike to old growth forest, the Adirondack Challenge I and II.

Yes, the winter is much too cold for camping. We camped one year at Northville with the ranger there and it was so cold. All of our peaks are summer and spring.

Ed
Mashmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:30 PM   #44
morrell12

MASH

Hey Mash I have about 26 or 28 I would have to check my journal. If you are looking for a partner let me know! E-mail me we can compare lists of what we need and see if we can hike together on a few.

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #45
DeadFred

Hey Tim,

I'd love to join ya for your 46th. I'll help carry the beer, wine, or watermellon. But I won't carry you!

BTW, I've had 2 tough trips lately, only getting one mountain so I still need 4 (Couchie, Santi, Basin and Allen) so I expect to finish this winter around Feb or March. Maybe you can carry my beer up (fill in the blank here) Mountain.

Let me know when you can make a winter climb with me and a few friends. Due to a really bad work sched in Dec, I probably won't be doing much in the High Peaks until January.

Best,
Fred
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #46
Mavs00
I am the sith

Name the Date

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadFred
Hey Tim,

I'd love to join ya for your 46th. I'll help carry the beer, wine, or watermellon. But I won't carry you!

BTW, I've had 2 tough trips lately, only getting one mountain so I still need 4 (Couchie, Santi, Basin and Allen) so I expect to finish this winter around Feb or March. Maybe you can carry my beer up (fill in the blank here) Mountain.

Let me know when you can make a winter climb with me and a few friends.

Best,
Fred
Fred, I'll carry yours, if you carry mine. Plus, after Whiteface, I'll be having a big bash (for the hikers and non-hikers alike) at a local LP establishment. Anything we can't carry up the Mountain will be consumed there. Might even be able to offer you a place to stay.

give me dates and advance warning, and you got a deal. I can attest that at least 3/4 that you have left are real gems that I would love to do-over.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:10 PM   #47
mashysteria

I've finished 43, 3 more to go. Hopefully, this summer. I hope to celebrate by bringing my Boy Scout troop with me when I do Seymour. That should be fairly easy for them, seeing how there are quite a few camping spots in that general area that will hold a dozen boys.
As far as favorite peaks, I agree that Haystack has a stunning view, but my personal favorites are Rocky Peak, and East Dix. Mostly because they are a little more remote and less traveled. Another favorite of mine is at the base of the cliff on the south side of Basin, at about the 4300 ft. level. There's a beautiful meadow there. It's kind of tough to get to, though.
mashysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #48
Dannyboy

I now have 22 peaks done. I was out of the state for 5 years so it has taken a while. I did 17 of them the summer of '97. I am now restoring an old house for myself and really need to find some more time to get out. I think getting out once a month would be good!
Danny

Nicanor Parra
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:09 AM   #49
Gothics

High Peaks

I am a teenager and go on weekends backpaking once or twice a year.
I have climbed 7 peaks:
1. Marcy 5344
4. Skylight 4926
10. Gothics 4736 Awesome views
22. Armstrong 4400
29. Upper Wolfjaw 4185
36. Cascade 4098 Crowds
38. Porter 4059
Old 12-31-2003, 10:17 AM   #50
Charlie
Camp Cook

So Far

Well, 13 to date, started 9/2001 - did Marcy exactly a week after the WTC disaster.

Check out my site for trip reports

So far Dix has been my overall favorite I think, Big Slide probably the best view, although I'm torn between Big Slide and the view from Pyramid Peak on the way to Gothics

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 AM   #51
DeadFred

Gothics,

Great job kiddo! Keep climbing and before you know it you'll be a 46'er. Those are already some killer peaks you've climbed. Be safe and have fun!!
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #52
Jeff

I've done 12. Most of them more than once, and I keep getting sidetracked by hitting other hiking and camping spots in the Adirondack Park. Plan on getting my 46.........someday. Pyramid so far has been my favorite view of the high peaks, so far! I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity to find others along the way.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #53
SherpaKroto

After my initial setback in the Sewards at the end of December, I went out to the Loj to "bust my cherry", so to speak. I finally bagged my first ADK High Peaks this past weekend: Street, Nye, Whiteface, Porter, and Cascade. Cherries jubilee!

I can't wait to come back!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #54
Kevin
**BANNED**

Wow, 5 in a weekend is a VERY good weekend.

I still need 3 of them (street, bye, and WF). Whiteface is a bit of a challenge, and I'd prefer to get Esther while up there... street and Nye could be done just about any time between now and late March (since the creek/river's frozen over it makes it easier)...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #55
SherpaKroto

Kevin, Street/Nye are well broken out. We had 2 separate groups up last weekend. The route wanders a bit near the stream, but does follow the trail fairly well. I found them tougher than I expected, but that may be due to the -24F temps we saw on the ridge!

Whiteface was easy via the road on skis, and Peak_bgr and bushwacker said it was nice on the trail. They did not do Esther, but it also was broken out.

Cascade/Porter was a cakewalk, but summits wee cold (-15F) and windy (50mph).

Yeah, 5 felt great!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:35 PM   #56
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Nye & Street

Hi guys... Here I am! I hiked Nye and Street last Saturday on a spectacular cold and sunny day. I saw some of the group, as I was on my way up, but didn't know them at the time. Nice view from Street.

I really enjoyed Haystack, which was my 2nd peak. My Avatar is a view on Little Haystack from that hike.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #57
Dick
somewhere out there...

I've done 41 of the 46. As with some others, many of these I've done several times. We plan to finish this coming summer, on Haystack.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:11 AM   #58
MrOysterhead
Climber Obsessed

17 and counting...

My first post here!

I've currently done 17 of the high peaks. My last was Haystack this past August. Next up will be the sewards on Memorial Day Weekend. I'm heading up to the Siamese Ponds the 3rd week in April - we're assuming there will still be snow in the peaks.

peace
Oysterhead
MrOysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #59
Kevin
**BANNED**

Re: 17 and counting...

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOysterhead
I'm heading up to the Siamese Ponds the 3rd week in April - we're assuming there will still be snow in the peaks.
Welcome to the forums.

You assume right, likely that the actually peaks (above 3500') will have snow until early May.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #60
MrOysterhead
Climber Obsessed

Thanks Kevin

Thanks for the welcome and for the info. Hopefully the weather down low in the Siamese Ponds won't be too bad. Most of my high school is going to Myrtle Beach for spring break - my two friends and I will be visiting Oregon NY. haha.

peace
Oysterhead
MrOysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote