Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #61
Starshadow
Administrator

I have found that there are times when a headnet and surgical gloves are the ONLY things that will keep black flies away. During a trip in May back to Lower Sargeant Pond I realized what a problem they can become. While we had packed for cool weather, the temp shot up to the 80s and stayed that way for the several day trip. We heard them buzzing like being near a beehive. Every square millimeter of air held one and we tried deet, in "jungle strength" or not. The only thing I think would have worked without the headnet and gloves was kneeling down, pouring gasoline over my body and striking a match. Much of the trip I burned pine needles and stood in the smoke, that did helped.
Thre was another fella there, we could see him thru the woods, he and his group were at the leanto and he had his shirt off, was drinking vodka, maybe we should have tried that.
More recently I use an Avon product called "Bug Guard Plus, Expedition". It does work for me on all the pests, no Deet in it. It does say not to exceed 3 applications per day. Maybe it is worse than Deet, unsure. Or, the gasoline might be the only answer.
I did find the formula for Redhawk`s bye bye black fly, want to try it, sounds harmless to use...
Bye-Bye Black Fly!

We use this essential oil combo in just about everything from soap to lotion to sprays. Great for use on pets.

All you need is about 8 ounces of distilled water or 8 ounces of light oil,
such as sunflower or apricot kernel, and the following essential oils:

20 drops citronella

10 drops lavender

7 drops eucalyptus

Place all ingredients is a spray bottle (for the water-based) or dispensing bottle
or pump bottle for the oil-based version, shake, and squirt. It's perfectly safe for use on the skin of small children, but to be sure, do a patch test first. Keep out of eyes and away from small fingers.

--------------------------------------------------------
Israel Zangwill Oh, for the simple life,/For tents and starry skies!
Starshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #62
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
Also lighter colors do not seem to attract them as much as darker clothes. Sometimes there are a lot of flies around but they just bother you without biting. When they are biting Ben's 100 is the only dope I've found that does much good.
You can perform a very dramatic experiment to prove you should never wear blue during black fly season. Place a blue jacket or shirt on the ground, next to it place a similar piece of any other color. Hardly any alight on colors other than blue - the blue will be covered in black. After that you will cross the color blue off any new outdoor clothing you ever buy.

Right Limekiln, many people cannot tolerate swarming around their head, even though the flies are controlled from biting by either a net or repellent. It's all the same to them. The early hatch of black flies always seems to be annoying without biting, no repellent needed. After a week or so the next hatch begin their nasty deeds. I find if I just keep moving I am not bothered so much. All the better to keep the human population in the woods low.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #63
13331Girl

As you can see from all the posts... Bad time of year for black flies. Ha! Ha!
Great time of year for some alone time on the water.

I'll be happy to post a black fly report on the forum.
It's snowing right now.. so the late snow might help to keep the population down.
The deer flies are what you need to look out for. They HURT!!!!!!

JULES
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #64
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13331Girl View Post
As you can see from all the posts... Bad time of year for black flies. Ha! Ha!
Great time of year for some alone time on the water.

I'll be happy to post a black fly report on the forum.
It's snowing right now.. so the late snow might help to keep the population down.
The deer flies are what you need to look out for. They HURT!!!!!!

JULES
I'm in AZ south of Phoenix at the moment. Just completed a 10 mile loop hike through the desert mountains this morning. 80 degrees, bright sun and HOT. Nice though, not a bug in sight. So different from what I am hearing of northeast weather this week. I'll be back into the black flies soon enough.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #65
Starshadow
Administrator

We speak about the black flies, they have always been the pest and scourge of the Adirondacks. Of course there are the mosquitoes also. Yet there was a time it seemed when you dealt with the black flies `til they petered out, in many places by the 4th of July and the skeets took over at night. Ok, that was bearable.

There always were the deerflies, with the stripes on their wings, brown bodies, pesky admittedly and Jules is right, 'they HURT", but you had a chance to get even wth `em and swat `em or wear a hat to keep them off your head which they seemed to relish.

Now, what I have heard called 'sweatflies' make me think twice about trips to certain places in the woods. Those smaller-than-houseflies-yet-just-as-hard- to-swat little demons seem to have flourished. There was a time when yeah, one or two a trip would take a chunk out of your ankle and you would say,
"Isn`t that weird, a fly that looked like a housefly just bit me"
They will bite thru almost anything, even neoprene shoes, socks, clothing. They will follow you out to the middle of a lake in your boat. So, what about all this ranting. Has anyone else noticed that they are much more common recently?

On a trip to the north end of Raquette in the summer they were in great numbers forcing not only us but neighbors at another leanto to wear raincoats and rainpants to escape the bites. Heavy doses of "Bens" DEET will work if it is too hot for that kind of cover and you`ve had enough. What a relief to see nightfall and deal with only mosquitoes!! OK Bob, calm down, it`ll be ok.

I`m ok now.

Anyone else???
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #66
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshadow View Post
They will bite thru almost anything, even neoprene shoes, socks, clothing. They will follow you out to the middle of a lake in your boat.
Dang ankle biters. Even in a wind they appear in the bottom of your canoe and zero in on your ankles, socks don't bother them.

Mid summer deer flies hurt and are pesky, but seem a relief as black fly season wanes. At least there is some pleasure in squishing those slower plump bodies with a swat.

Then there's the punkies (no-see-ums). Hot humid nights bring them out. Some people getting bit all night long by the invisible jaws think they come right through the tent. Actually they are imbedded by the dozens in your clothing before you enter. It helps a little, only a little, to brush yourself off before you go to bed. Roll up your clothing and put it in a bag.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #67
Starshadow
Administrator

So true, "creeping fire" is a descriptive name for them.

I have searched the internet, even found a site once where someone claimed to be an expert on Adirondack bugs, photos and all, but no sweatflies. So I emailed him with my description and he said 'We do have some nasty deerflies up here." Never thought they were deerflies. I like to know the enemy, it won`t help the bite or stop me from heading to the mountains but I would like to know the name of those flies!!!.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
Albert Einstein
Old 04-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #68
wbwells
Travler

Eat Garlic!!! Lots of it

The Bugs will leave you alone, including the Human Ones!!!

WBW

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?
wbwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #69
rollins camper

Worst flys I've ever come across are the Green backs that hang out near the ocean. Nasty bites that leave huge welts. They wait for you to get out of the water and are all over you before you have a chance to get to your towel. Maine also has those nasty ankle biters. Oh the draw backs of summer.
rollins camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #70
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshadow View Post
I have searched the internet, even found a site once where someone claimed to be an expert on Adirondack bugs, photos and all, but no sweatflies. So I emailed him with my description and he said 'We do have some nasty deerflies up here." Never thought they were deerflies. I like to know the enemy, it won`t help the bite or stop me from heading to the mountains but I would like to know the name of those flies!!!.

They are Runaway Houseflies. Rogue, rebellious, malcontents, that have dismissed society and took to the hills.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #71
Starshadow
Administrator

We have an answer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
They are Runaway Houseflies. Rogue, rebellious, malcontents, that have dismissed society and took to the hills.

Thank you!! That has been exactly what I have that about them! Mutations sent to balance the joy felt in the woods with misery. Somewhere along the way they realized eating spoiled food and fecal matter could only be so satisfying and turned to the "live meat in boots and cap." Fresher, warmer, tastier.

-----------------------------------
Use the talents you possess for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best.
Uknown

Last edited by Starshadow; 04-13-2007 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: add quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #72
Roy Wires

Moose Flies

I haven't heard anyone mention moose flies, the larger version of the deer flies. There aren't as many, but still common during the summer in the deep woods.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #73
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wires View Post
I haven't heard anyone mention moose flies, the larger version of the deer flies. There aren't as many, but still common during the summer in the deep woods.
I've always called those things horse flies. Big black, much larger than deer flies. Thankfully relatively fewer and slower but they still can get you with a painful bite.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #74
Roy Wires

Just a Fun Name

Wildrns.....You're absolutely right, they are horse flies. We just used to call them "moose flies" in keeping with Adirondack "wildlife". If a deer fly is smaller, then something that looks like it, but is larger must be a "moose". An old time woodsman (Walt Bellinger) from Forestport got me started on that name.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #75
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Deer flies... horse/moose flies... both are nasty. From my experience, the deer flies are way faster (thus harder to catch) and love to nose dive you when you're swimming (pilot to bombadeer!), but horse flies leave worse welts!
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #76
Gothics

Black flies

Black flies are by far the worst insect in the world, because they are so numerous in late May and June. I went on a backpacking trip on the range a few years ago in late May and they were the worst I have ever seen. They were so bad, you did not want to stop hiking because more would land on you. Also every time you opened your mouth you would inhale a few. At the end of the trip I put my hand on my neck and found dryed blood and found more dried blood all over my body. It seems that they are immune to bug dope even deet. I am from near Syracuse and have a cabin in the Tug Hill and have been on numerous trips in the ADKs and know black flies. Now I live in Idaho and people here sometimes complain about bugs, they have no idea what they are talking about!