Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #21
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

Holy crap!!

Are you serious???

That section will blow her mind!! Is this the worst you've seen? I hope there's not much worse than this. It's the whole "potential of falling" thing that gets her, this will blow her mind!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:31 PM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukedRocket
Are you serious???

That section will blow her mind!! Is this the worst you've seen? I hope there's not much worse than this. It's the whole "potential of falling" thing that gets her, this will blow her mind!!!!

I think it's generally accepted that this is the single steepest, non-technical section of any maintained or non-maintained trail to any of the 46r high peaks. I know it's the steepest section of the 33 I've climbed, and I've done most of what people consider to be the 'steepest'.

The only advantage, if it could be called that, is that it's a relatively short stretch, maybe .1 miles. Once you're done with this section you're standing on the summit (similar, but not quite as dramatic, to it's neighbor Basin).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #23
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukedRocket
Are you serious???

If you want to hike Saddleback, you can go up the Ore Bed trail on the other side and avoid the scramble.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #24
Mavs00
I am the sith

Kevin is pretty much right. I'm sure it's considered the steepest, non-technical section on a maintained trail in the HPs. Yeah, we noticed the work-around trail too. I would advise against it, like Kevin said, it's ecologically not ideal. However, if someone in your party is paralyzed with fear, you may not have a choice. There no other way up over the moutain from this direction.

However, this photos show the visual aspect of it. There is a clear seam in the rock that is pretty easy to climb up. It's not a hard climb at all, if you focus on the rocks and route in front of you and not on the open air on all sides .

Then again, I stopped often to gaze off. It's quite a sight.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #25
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

It really is all in the head. There are a lot of good foot and hand holds along the entire section. Maybe next time I hike that trail I'll go up that section instead of down.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #26
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

That section was one of my favorites yet, I really liked the challenge. I almost went back down to climb it up again a second time.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #27
Jeff

First time I did Pyramid, Gothic, Armstrong, and Upper Wolfjaw, my friend Dave tells me "It's pretty steep. There are some parts of the trail where you can touch the trail by reaching right out in front of you." Now stand up, put your hand out and imagine that that is the trail going up (or down) right in front of you. Steep, right? I laughed when he told me this. Then I experienced it. Still thought it was funny that you can climb an incline that is right in your face. But alas, that is nature at it's finest! Fun fun fun!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #28
percious
Transplanted

If you want steep, slides are where its at. We did the backside of Giant a few weeks ago, what a blast!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #29
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

The slide on East Dix is a lot of fun. It's an easy slide to climb as long as it isn't wet.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:58 PM   #30
Gandalf

The west slide on Macomb's pretty easy too, in a rubbly-shifty sort of way. Open, accessible, great views, and not too steep.

The W side of Saddleback is the only trail I've encountered in the High Peaks which I'd be truly scared to descend (I've never done Haystack from the S or the Beckhorn trail however).

- from the movie Dr. Strangelove
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:44 PM   #31
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by percious
If you want steep, slides are where its at. We did the backside of Giant a few weeks ago, what a blast!
Vernon Connecticut? My grandaughter lives in Ellington, as I did a few years ago.

Is Amerbelle still polluting the air in Rockville? Ever eat at the Pie Plate? I cooked there for a while as a favor to a friend of mine. I use to manage Computer Outlet on Talcottville Road. I delivered the Hartford Courant up in Willington for five years.

(Hawk has been around!)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #32
oldsmores

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Vernon Connecticut?...
Small world... I lived in Vernon from '81 - '86. My son was born in Rockville General, where my wife was working at the time.
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #33
percious
Transplanted

Yes... Vernon,
I don't know what the deal is with the polution, all I know is that im glad to be moving out. Vernon is slowly being Manchester-ized. Two new stores in the last 6 months have gone in right down the street. My wife had the face stolen off her car stereo last week. Luckily, we are outta there, moving to East Granby, to an old beautiful old Colonial. Best news is that I will be 5 mins from work now, so I get about 10 days a year back in my life. phew!

-percious

P.S. My son was born at Rockville too. Its actually a pretty nice place for mothers to give birth.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #34
Mavs00
I am the sith

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Vernon Connecticut? My grandaughter lives in Ellington, as I did a few years ago.

Is Amerbelle still polluting the air in Rockville? Ever eat at the Pie Plate? I cooked there for a while as a favor to a friend of mine. I use to manage Computer Outlet on Talcottville Road. I delivered the Hartford Courant up in Willington for five years.

(Hawk has been around!)
Not sure I've ever been on the Vernon trail, but I can't imagine it's any steeper than the others mentioned . (leave it to Hawk, the master thread highjacker to get us off topic )

Anyhow, I just downloaded my GPS data from Allen and uploaded it to my topo software. I know Allen got mentioned as steep, but I was suprised by the numbers. From the turn off onto Allen Brook (2665') to the summit (4340') is just over a mile (1.05 miles). A very impressive 1600/mile. Even more impressive it the last 1/2 mile rises close to 1000'. (that's better than 37% grade). Considering it's a better than a 8.5 miles slog to get to this point, its no GD wonder I thought this mountain was hard.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #35
Dick
somewhere out there...

I'm not what sure the 'steepest' is. Short stretches of some trails are extremely steep. Basin comes to mind, and the steepest sections are very steep (someone I know someone had calculated that there were sections on this trail that were the "steepest" in the Adirondacks). But it alternates with quite moderate, longer stretches. Same with Cliff (blowdown and mud aside!). Algonquin to Lake Colden is perhaps more consistently steep. Some trails give the impression of steep because of exposure, or because of their difficulty. I think the Beckhorn was one of those (although I'm not sure if most of the Dix trail was really any steeper than many others overall), and I'm sure Saddleback qualifies. Wimp that I am, there were even some ledges at the top of Colden that gave me the willies (we were descending). Someone mentioned Noonmark from Ausable Club, which I also recall being extremely steep. As for 'x' number of feet per mile, I'm sure that's an important benchmark, but by itself it doesn't factor what terrain happens in that mile. To bring it all back to hamsinn's question, I'm not sure if it's really answerable.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #36
Jeff

Does elevation gain in general constitute steep?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #37
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Does elevation gain in general constitute steep?
In my mind, I think so. Over distance anyway. Just because a trail has a short steep section, I personally wouldn't call it all around steep. We ARE climbing mountains, and I think its reasonable to expect some steepness on most peaks. For me, I generally use a elevation gain/per mile as my benchmark. It's long sustained steepness that I was considering in my choices.

Of course, everyone has there own definitions as to what "steepest trail sections" means to them. For me anyway, anything over 1500'/mile (for like a mile or more) is getting to that point on my mind where I start saying to myself "damn this is steep".

Last edited by Mavs00; 09-12-2004 at 07:39 AM..
Mavs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #38
percious
Transplanted

Has anyone here done the south side of haystack...? That is a steep set, esp. towards the top where its all fall to your death cliffy.

-percious
Old 09-18-2004, 11:23 PM   #39
JimB

The ADK guidebook decribes the trail from Lake Colden to Algonquin as "one of the most continuously steep climbs in the mountains". It climbs 2350 ft in 2.1 miles and rates right up there with the other big ones IMO. I've been up and down it during summer and winter and on the ascent it really takes a lot out of me. On the way down you look at it like "I can't believe I climbed all the way up this thing ".
Old 09-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #40
Neil
Kayak-46

I did both Colden and Algonquin, in that order, on the same day from Lake Colden and I found Colden to be a lot steeper. It's about 2000 feet up in just over a mile. Saddleback- Gothics col to Gothics aint exactly flat either.