Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #41
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Ahhhh, don't mind me. I just have a problem with authorities in politics or any political figure, lol. I'm as likely to dis Bush as I am Kerry, and as likely to dis Limbaugh as I am Moore... Name some more, I'll dis 'em, hehe.

I always got a laugh from and enjoyed "TV Nation" from Moore (favorite scene: Moore with a megaphone at an IBM Headquarters yelling "CEO of IBM, I challenge you to format this floppy disc!"), but... "Bowling (for columbine)" put a damper on my like of Moore. I don't own a gun, maybe never will, but, think the second ammendment is common sense, and.... I think Moore had a statist spin to bowling, and just turned me off to him.

'k, I'm shutting up now.....

and back to the topic.... what are the real odds of getting shot? Poisoning yourself is only half as popular as getting shot... hey, at least you can schedule it in.

Odds of Dying:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
Old 09-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #42
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I don't want to turn this into a political squabble, but I don't get what you're saying about Moore. Glad to see you're a "left-winger" like me. I'm sure Georgie boy will trip over his tongue a million times in tonight's debate. The only reason I brought up politics is because Bush basically likes to pee on the environment with regularity, and i don't want that to happen in my back yard!
Don't make any difference if or how much Bush screws up in the debate.

Look at all the contradictions, lies, misinformation and deceptions he's already been caught in and then look at the poll ratings.

Half of the Americans are too stupid to understand whats happening, the other half are too greedy to care.

Sorry!
Old 09-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #43
redhawk

"Save a Hiker, Shoot a hunter"
Old 09-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #44
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
"Save a Hiker, Shoot a hunter"
What if you're a hunter and a hiker? How does that work?

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Old 09-30-2004, 09:20 PM   #45
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
What if you're a hunter and a hiker? How does that work?
I guess it's called suicide! or huntercide ot hikercide or....never mind
Old 10-01-2004, 08:55 AM   #46
jpm8920

Like me ya mean? I am a hunter and a hiker and I'm suprised to see the misconceptions about hunters, especially on a board like this. Very disappointing.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #47
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Of hunters I know personally.... Are some of the most responsible people I know (in general!), and people who know very well how to handle a firearm. My girlfriends late father (an avid and really talented hunter) always carried a firearm, and it freaked her out, always! "What if it just randomly fires?", "What if he gets mad and shoots with it?" But I always said "You're talking about a guy who knows how that gun works, who can probably clean it with a blindfold on, and put it together like forest gump on crystal meth, and also someone who knows exactally what kind of damage that gun does, and has an ultimate respect for it". Like people who know various martial arts -- who know how to perform martial arts, and the -right-time- to perform martial arts, I believe the majority of hunters to be the same.

I'm not saying there's no exceptions to that rule, there has to be, but... Like I said, of people I know.

"Check out that deer with a neon orange head, walking on it's hind legs, whistling yankee doodle dandy... Forget shooting it, let's bring it to the circus -- we'll be millionaires!"

As for Redhawk, he's never busted anyone's chops before, so make sure to take him completely serious Heheheheh.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #48
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Proto is entirely right. Most hunters are extremely responsible as they know full well what happens when the trigger is pulled. Bullets can't be called back once they're on their way.

If only as much concern as there is about responsible hunters was directed at responsible hikers the woods would be an even more wonderous place! How about the slob hikers that can't pack out their own trash, continue to camp where they shouldn't, refuse to use established fire rings, are pissy about sharing lean-to's, etc.

I've been hunting for 20 years and haven't shot a single person yet. Not even close. No hunter that I personally know has ever shot at another person while hunting.

Statistically hunting is one of the safest sports people can do. More people are critically injured or killed yearly while playing football, basketball, golfing, swimming, and a host of other seemingly safe sports.

To that end, bowhunting season starts in just about 2 weeks and I'll be out there. Safely.

Ordin
Old 10-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #49
jpm8920

I agree with you guys completely. I try to be as responsible as I can. I always go out of my way to give people a good impression of hunters, and safety is always first though on my mind. Maybe it is just because I grew up in a family that hunts, but I always wonder why hunters have a bad rap. Every hunter I know absolutely treasures the outdoors and takes what they do very seriously. I just wish that non-hunters could realize that. And I'm not saying that everyone here is against hunters or anything. I just think some people have misconceptions about hunters, but I think this thread is clearing some of them up.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #50
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm8920
but I always wonder why hunters have a bad rap.
1. Bambi
2. Deliverence

Is it clear now?
Old 10-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #51
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak100
1. Deer don't speak English, like Bambi. ( I dont shot English speaking Deer)
Take my advice.... definately bring those one's to the circus, big bucks I'm tellin' ya.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #52
adknbvi

Regarding the bad rap

Well, OK, I started this thread and I'm really sorry now that I did.

Let me tell you why I worry about hunters. Last Autumn, my husband and I were driving along a country road in Southern Chester County, PA, near where we live. We heard a shot, I looked out the passenger side window and I could see

a.) a deer running parallel with our car through the woods

and

b.) the hunter standing (from my line of sight) directly behind the deer shooting towards us.

We were in a RED SPORTS CAR . We were not in camoflage and we were not "walking softly" through the woods. He shot 1 or 2 more times before we got out of range.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 PM   #53
Gurn

Lazy Hunters?
450lb camp raiding hiker terrifing bear down for the count 4.5 miles to my car (never owned a ATV). Remember kids every ounce counts.

Shoot a hunter?
He has the gun, what are ya gonna do, make a big blow gun and shoot yer big ski pole at him?

I'm afraid I might get shot!
The oods are about the same as Mount Marcy erupting and covering you in molten lava while you sleep. OUCH!

Just found this place I love to hunt, fish and hike. Gods Creation is not owned by hunters, hikers or even the allmighty state. He made it and he can take it away. Lets just enjoy and share it gladly with each other while we can.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #54
Kevin
**BANNED**

It's a shame we can't always discuss things in a civilized manner.

This thread's original topic has been thoroughly discussed. If you need to have a private conversation, please take it to PMs or another thread in rabid granola crunchers.
Closed Thread