Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
AlphaDog

My First Winter Peak....Suggestions?

I am a little inexperienced at hiking/climbing highpeaks in snowshoes.....What would be a good first peak to do for a dayhike? Or what was YOUR first winter peak??? I figured I'd check with you all before i and my group picked the wrong peak! We've hiked some of the high peaks in summer....but winter hiking is a little intimidating!

Thanks in advance for any advice and info!
AlphaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
strat

Here's a range of options. I assume that it is not a requirement to "bag a high peak".

Easy: Snow Mountain. Pleasant forests, never terribly steep, some thoughtful ice negotiation higher up but nothing terrible.

Easy but longer than Snow Mountain: Rooster Comb.

Moderate: Hopkins

Hard: Giant via the Ridge Trail: very dooable for novice snowshoers, roughly 3000 feet in 3ish miles makes this one a little more strenuous. Also the most rewarding of this list.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
rondak100
Mike

Cascade and Porter....

This is a great, short hike. I assume you are looking for a 4000 footer here. Cascade has a classic rocky dome, real nice. The trip out to Porter and back is really nice too. Beacause this trip is so accessible and short, it will very likely be packed down.

Mike

Neil Young
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
mtbnski
Disqualified from the rat race

Phelps will be an easy one day route for you. Start at the ADK Loj and head to Marcy Dam via the Von Hovenburg trail. From there take the Phelps trail to the Phelps summit trail. It's about 10 miles round trip.

As for my first winter peak, that will be this coming weekend. We're headed for Marcy, Gray and possibly Phelps.

laters, dball

Last edited by mtbnski; 03-17-2004 at 09:43 AM..
mtbnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
morrell12

Bigslide

The Brothers via Bigslide is another excellent day hike from the Garden. Also ditto what Rondak said

ADAM
Old 03-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Cascade was my first peak, and I did it on snow shoes last March .

I recently went back because I didn't get Porter in that first climb, and it was even easier 7 peaks later .

Only advice -- bring a camera!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
AlphaDog

The camera is already packed! Thanks for all the great suggestions....keep em coming...
AlphaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
Willie
46er #5193W

I'll concur on Cascade/Porter, Phelps, or Big Slide. Relatively short (distance), but you still get a taste for winter hiking. And you're right, AlphaDog, winter hiking can be intimidating, especially if you go solo. Whatever you do, consider staying on a marked trail with relatively high traffic - it will give you some peace of mind knowing help is close by.

My first winter peak was Marcy.

Be safe and have fun!
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
ryankask

I am from Miami, Florida and I thought I would try some winter hiking in the Adirondacks. I successfuly climed Giant, which was tough (for me). I tried to climb Wright but it was hailing and I just could not do it. I passed on the Dix overnighter!
ryankask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
percious
Transplanted

Thought I would revive this fun but dead thread.

My first winter peak was Whiteface. It was a bail out trip after an unsuccessful attempt on Marcy. We figured we would go for whiteface because the ski resort was within a radio call away. Safety first...

-percious
Old 10-28-2004, 10:40 AM   #11
ADackR
livin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by percious
Thought I would revive this fun but dead thread.

My first winter peak was Whiteface. It was a bail out trip after an unsuccessful attempt on Marcy. We figured we would go for whiteface because the ski resort was within a radio call away. Safety first...

-percious

i opened this thread and thought it was new

anyway, my first winter peak was marshall and Skylight... we camped(for the first time in winter) for three days... our first day involved skiing into flowed lands via upper works....this was my first time ever on x-c skis and add to that a 45lbs pack ... so we made camp and hung out, got an early start for marshall and made the summit, no view and blizzard conditions...soo great....

we then went back to camp and realized we needed one more day but didn't have the time (we were only going out for 2 days) plus our girlfriends only knew we were going out for 2 days and were prepared to call someone incase we didn't make it out in time...

so, our plan, we head to skylight the next day make a call home from the top and get back to camp for the night....after sleeping in becasue it was just so cold we got a late start, the goign was slow and it was a blizzard on top(even better) to end this, we made the summit with driving winds and snow, got behind the large carin and made the call's home...

so, i would suggest going for a summit that you have done before, go with someone with experience and take double of what you normally have on a day hike during the summer....you never know what's going to happen in the mtns. during this part of hte year..

happy hiking.
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #12
percious
Transplanted

Sounds Like a fun trip. I have no comment about the cell phone... but i guess it kept you out there another day, so that is good.

-percious
Old 11-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Rik
H-E-R-O

My first in winter were Cascade and Porter. Needed crampons to get up the open rocks on Cascade. I'm up to 30 winter peaks and think I've only used them twice since!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 AM   #14
Jeff

I would have to say Cascade and Porter. If I can do it, most likely you can as well. Just make sure you have the correct clothing. Cotton Kills!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #15
ADackR
livin' it

Quote:
Sounds Like a fun trip. I have no comment about the cell phone... but i guess it kept you out there another day, so that is good.

-percious

that was the first and only time i brought the thing

i'm heading up to Seymore this weekend and the way the weather is looking, i should expect to find at least 6 inches :headbang:
Old 11-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #16
percious
Transplanted

Sweet, I have never been there before. I wonder if anyone will break it out for you. You planning to bring snowshoes?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #17
ADackR
livin' it

Quote:
Sweet, I have never been there before. I wonder if anyone will break it out for you. You planning to bring snowshoes?

yeah, i'm pretty psyched.. it should be a blast....

about the snowshoes, i'll probably leave them home just because the ground is so warm that everything will just be sponggy anyway and any traction that is gained by snowshoes would be lost... i doubt anyone will be there before me so the snow should still be pristine.... also, like i just said with the ground being so warm it shouldn't be such a problem...

my wife and i hiked into a lean-to on cranberry lake last year just about this time.... the got a freak snowstorm and had 20 inches on the ground... the snow was so fluffy we hiked right through it in boots... you might remember the guy who used the PLB to be rescured last year, well, that was about 10 miles south of where we were hiking....