Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #21
Rivet
Likes to hike

60 Chrissie (dog) Wendell Giant 8/39 Sawteeth 9/3/48

205 Terry (dog) Kazlowski Algonquin 6/54 Sawteeth 7/22/61

679 Bobo (dog) M. Vivitsky Gothics 9/7/64 Marshall 6/7/71

830 Dara (dog) Wachmann Lower Wolf Jaw 9/6/70 Seymour 9/3/72

954 Tigger (dog) Loud Phelps 4/71 Sawteeth 9/2/73

1151 Schuss (dog) Robens Giant 9/3/71 Haystack 10/20/74

That is last one I found. Maybe they stopped giving patches to dogs.

It's a little bit silly if you think about it.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:14 AM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
Agreed. Cheapens the title IMO. Why not just give my boots 46er status? I mean, my shoes care as much as a dog does about the title.

Sounds like a dog owner looking for 'bragging rights' or something. Kinda like the way adults plaster the back of their cars with "my son/daughter is an honor role student". Pathetic parents looking to their child's achievements to fill the void in their own existence.

/rant
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #23
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
If you think about it, climbing a bunch of peaks just to get a patch and your name on a list is kind of silly as well IMO.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #24
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Sounds like a dog owner looking for 'bragging rights' or something. Kinda like the way adults plaster the back of their cars with "my son/daughter is an honor role student". Pathetic parents looking to their child's achievements to fill the void in their own existence.
Why you Dirty $#$%&8^, son a &%W@, mother $%@$^*@, I got one of those stickers on my car .

Just kidding, only two stickers adorn the back of my car. An ADK sticker, and my newly earned 46er sticker. But, I'll have you know that both of my kids ARE, IN FACT, honor students .
Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #25
oldsmores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
...Pathetic parents looking to their child's achievements to fill the void in their own existence. .../rant
Wow, a little harsh there Kev... No, I don't have one of those stickers on my car, but I don't think I'd assume someone had a "void in their existence" because they did, anymore than I'd assume a 46'er does for needing validation of their hiking prowess.
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #26
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Other then that section, I agree with you zach, 6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as heading ===> or <=== along the range trail.

When all is said and done though, dogs go up and down all over the range and I'm not real sure ANY part of it is too difficult (at least no tougher than it is for humans) .
Just to follow up.

I did this hike yesterday with my dog. We went up Ore bed trail and then climbed Gothics=>Armstrong=>UWJ. The dog actually had an easier time getting up the steep section on Gothics (the part with the cables) than me, but it was mainly mental more than anything.
The dog was a little hesitant to go down the ladder on Armstrong, but he was able to manage it. This was probably due to the fact the ladder is more vertical than the ladders on the Ore bed trail, and the rungs are more out in the open.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote