Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #21
Dave K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacco
a person going up mt. marcy could also get hit by a stray coconut.

(a swallow could drop it on you)
Or maybe two swallows flying with the coconut suspended by a string... but the real question would be... what would be the airspeed velocity?

"On second thought... lets not go to Camelot... tis a silly place"
Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #22
sacco
no soup for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
True enough... Of course you'd be just as likely to get hit by a stray bullet as you drove up the northway to the trail head. (that is to say... extremely UNlikely).

you're prolly much more likely to get hit by a stray bullet while driving since, as it's been pointed out here - most hunters [epsecially the less responsible ones] don't like to go too far from the road.

any hunter that's serious enough to hike in miles is not gonna be taking 'pot shots'

Last edited by sacco; 09-16-2004 at 04:48 PM..
Old 09-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #23
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
True enough... Of course you'd be just as likely to get hit by a stray bullet as you drove up the northway to the trail head. (that is to say... extremely UNlikely).

You're far more likely to get hit by another car or a deer on your way to the trailhead, than a hunter’s bullet.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #24
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Thought this would be useful

Big Game Hunting Seasons

Old 09-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #25
Neil
Kayak-46

My point is, if I'm getting this right, it's legal to hunt all over the high peaks region. I'm totally flabbergasted. That's all. I think I'll wear a bright orange jersey on my next trip. So why not have the hunters weed out all the habituated bears from the Marcy Dam - Flowed Lands corridor before setting up the bear cannister law? They could use packs hung in trees as bear bait.
Seriously, I could pack a gun up the trail to, say, Gothics if I felt like it and maybe fire off a few rounds for practice? Michael Moore where are you?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #26
Jeff

Uh, is that an African or a European Swallow?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #27
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
My point is, if I'm getting this right, it's legal to hunt all over the high peaks region. I'm totally flabbergasted. That's all. I think I'll wear a bright orange jersey on my next trip. So why not have the hunters weed out all the habituated bears from the Marcy Dam - Flowed Lands corridor before setting up the bear cannister law? They could use packs hung in trees as bear bait.
Seriously, I could pack a gun up the trail to, say, Gothics if I felt like it and maybe fire off a few rounds for practice? Michael Moore where are you?

Most hunters won't hunt where they know they will run into people. Other people in the hunting area scare away game. Plus most hunters understand it isn't safe to fire a gun in an area where they might hit a person.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #28
sacco
no soup for you

also, imagine carrying out a 400# bear back 5 miles to the car.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #29
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
also, imagine carrying out a 400# bear back 5 miles to the car.
I bet you could drad one using a pack of llamas.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #30
sacco
no soup for you

giddyup!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #31
Dave K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
I bet you could drad one using a pack of llamas.
Which Llama were you thinking of... the Equadorian Mountain Llama or the Mexican Barking Llama.

If you were talking about the Mountain Llama I'd daresay that one would do... (it IS a Mountain Llama after all).

We had 7 people in our party, and even with that many I was NOT looking forward to the prospect of hiking a bear back from the Flowed lands to the Upper Works trailhead. Not even a little bit.

I think the reason you don't see many deer hunters in the high peaks is because it's not ideal deer habitat. Deer like mixed woods and fields... preferably cultivated fields. Forever wild doesn't provide the forage/cover mix.

Neil you COULD pack a gun up Gothics... but you'd better have a legal hunting license (which means you've taken the hunter safety course) during season... and you better have a gun that's approved for the area (most of downstate that means shotguns or pistols during deer season... high powered rifles are legal in parts of upstate, including the Adirondacks if memory serves).

As far as target shooting, you'd have to know what's in season and have a legal license, gun and ammo if necessary (even if you aren't hunting), as well as following any laws regarding recreational shooting in the preserve (can't say I know that answer).

And I'd LOVE to see Michael Moore up Gothics... aside from the climb I think that'd be too far from a McDonalds for his cholesterol clogged heart to bear.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #32
Neil
Kayak-46

Okay, you guys seem to be pretty relaxed about this. I'll cool down and go for a hike. Still, I kinda like the idea of weeding out the habituated bears. Blam! Blam! To hell with the rubber bullets.
Now at least if I run into someone carrying a gun up towards Marcy Dam I won't freak out.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #33
adknbvi

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I feel much better. I apologize if I offended any hunters with my question. My husband's family are big hunters and so I know that most hunters are very responsible. I just don't want to take any unnecessary chances. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #34
sacco
no soup for you

uhhh i don't think you offended anyone here in the least.
i'll bet the closest anyone's come to offending anyone on this thread is jeff with his rascist bird remark.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:42 PM   #35
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

As a long time hunter and long time hiker, I can unequivacably state that driving to the trailhead puts you in far more danger than hiking during hunting season. There are far more bad drivers on the road than there are criminally reckless hunters in the woods.

How many people, per capita, are killed in hunting accidents annually? How many people are killed, per capita, while driving annually? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were only 3 hunting related fatalities in New York last year, and all were hunter v. hunter. Driving fatalities were several thousand times greater. Those are the meaningful statistics.

I'm more afraid of the driver in the oncoming lane juggling a cell phone and a latte than I am of the guy in the woods with a gun during hunting season.

Go hiking, have a good time, but leave the Bullwinkle costume home for a couple weeks.

Ordin

Last edited by Ordin Aryguy; 09-17-2004 at 10:35 AM..
Old 09-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #36
Adkleaddog

Hunting Season Dates

Quote:
i think tom McG (any relation to sam?) brings up a good point about courtesy and flexibility.
i often hear hikers complain about deer hunters ruining the woods in the fall. i think it's important to remember that they're only there 3 weeks out of the year.
you can bushwack through the woods wearing your moose antlered hat with your carthart coveralls 49 weeks out of the year.
3 weeks of wearing orange and sticking to the trails is not a lot to ask IMO.
FYI: The seasons differ abit dependant on your location, here's the dates:

Northern Zone is always 7 weeks, sometimes 8.

2004 Deer Hunting Season Dates

* Southern Zone
o Regular........................Nov. 22 - Dec. 14
o Early Archery..................Oct. 15 - Nov. 21
o Late Archery...................Dec. 15 - Dec. 19
o Late Muzzleloading.............Dec. 15 - Dec. 21
* Northern Zone
o Regular........................Oct. 23 - Dec. 5
o Archery........................Sept. 27 - Oct. 22
o Late Muzzleloading.............Dec. 6 - Dec. 12
* Westchester County (WMU 3S)
o Regular(Archery Only)..........Nov. 1 - Dec.31
* Suffolk County (WMU 1C)
o Regular (Archery Only).........Oct. 1 - Dec. 31
o Firearms (weekdays only).......Jan. 3 - Jan 31

Hope this helps!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #37
ken999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuna Matada
My experience with hunters is that they usually like to throw their kill on an ATV and drive it out. Can you tell I'm not a hunter?
...or we hunters bone out and backpack our game to the truck...I've even carried, with the help of two other hunters, a whole 165 lb buck out 2.5 miles on our backs. If anyone thinks their current backpack for multiday trips is heavy or uncomfortable, they ought to try carrying a deer out in this manner...not much fun. Oh and it could be dangerous, depending on the area you are in. There weren't many other hunters around while we were doing this.

I certainly would not recomend this method on the opening day in southern-zone.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #38
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Gothics

I'd much rather see Micheal Moore than Duh..Duh..Dubya. If it's up to him there won't be any wilderness left to hike or hunt!!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #39
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

...and if it were up to michael moore, we wouldn't even be allowed to have fishing poles (none-the-less firearms) cause we're all too fat, stupid, lazy, uneducated, ignorant, and white to do anything more than hook ourselves in the eye.

regardless.... not sure if you're wrong about bush.... after the patriot act, i couldn't trust him as far as I could throw him -- and I don't have a very good arm. and don't blame me... i vote libertarian

Last edited by protocoldroid; 09-30-2004 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 09-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #40
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Moore

I don't want to turn this into a political squabble, but I don't get what you're saying about Moore. Glad to see you're a "left-winger" like me. I'm sure Georgie boy will trip over his tongue a million times in tonight's debate. The only reason I brought up politics is because Bush basically likes to pee on the environment with regularity, and i don't want that to happen in my back yard!
Closed Thread