Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Freakin' Chickin'

Question Safe hiking the Great Range this week?

Hello there,

I am planning a three day hike through the Great Range starting this next Wednesday. My question is quite simple; I was wondering if the trails were safely practicable in this area in October? I will go with one of my friends and we are quite used to rough alpine terrain (White Mountains, Charlevoix, Chic-Chocs, Kathadin) on these times of the year and in winter, but we never hiked this side of the ADK's.

So are the steep trails up Gothics, or Saddleback (I haven't studied the topos yet... still looking for my map of the High Peaks...... should be somewhere) for example, are negotiable with crampons i.e. big blocks or only smooth rock surface, scrambling, etc.... and are the ice conditions that bad these days?

Thanks a lot and have a nice evening!

Freakin' Chickin'
Freakin' Chickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

Go to http://viewsfromthetop.com and check the trip reports sections as well as the trail conditions for New York. People who have just been on the trail post the conditions they encountered. Last weekend it looks like crampons would have been helpful in some places but not quite essential. Conditions can change mighty quick though. (I think someone did a report on Sawteeth and Gothics via Pyramid peak.)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
DLHiker

Checking recent reports and watching the weather will give you an idea of what kind of ice you might enounter.

This tiem of year, you never know. I'd probably go cautious and bring crampons just in case!
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
Neil
Kayak-46

All the weather a hiker could want here:

http://www.paulsmiths.edu/page.pl?page=675
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Freakin' Chickin'

That's what I thought!

Thanks for the replies!

I was planning to rent crampons (still have not enough money to buy a pair!) anyways, so it just set my mind clearly.

I checked the weather predictions, and it seemed pretty okay, even if it can worsens quickly in altitude, it looks way better than last year when it rained and sleeted for three days in a row on Mount Wash!

Have a nice week everyone!

Caro
Freakin' Chickin' is offline   Reply With Quote