Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
ADackR
livin' it

DIX via Hunters pass

[sarcastic mode on]well, from the warm welcome to this question over at Vftt, i bring this to you[/sarcastic mode off]

thanks for any info..............

since the trail head from elk lake is closed until december, i'm wondering if anyone has info about the access via hunters pass???

i'm looking for milage to the lean-to...
if it's often used, mileage to dix and anyother info that you deem necessary to know.

thanks in advance, i'm hoping to get there this weekend...

adackr..
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Which lean-to are you referring to? The Boquet River Lean-to is about 4.8 miles from Rt 73. To get to the hunters pass trail you have to climb about 3/4 of the way up Dix. At that point I think it would be better to just summit Dix and descent the Beck Horn trail down to get to the Elk Lake side.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
ADackR
livin' it

interesting, i thought that there was a lean-to on the trail from Hunters pass. i am mistakin...

so, the lean-to you speak of from rte 73, what route does this climb dix???
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

The Rt 73 (Round Pond) Trail takes you to the Boquet River lean-to at about 4.8 miles. From here the trail crosses the North Fork of the Boquet and leads to the base of the slides on the north side of Dix at about 1 to 1.5 miles from the shelter. The trail then cuts across the slide at the base and heads up Dix. After about another 3/4 to 1 mile from the slide base the trail junctions with the Hunters Pass trail. Dix summit is approximately another .5 to .75 miles from here.

Please note that the mileage I came up with is from memory, so it is probably off some.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
BrianH

Hunters Pass

ADackR,

There are two lean-to's on the way to Hunters Pass via Elk Lake - one at Slide Brook and one at Lillian Brook.

I think that until hunting season is done the Route 73 is the only good route up Dix.

There are also some fantastic camping spots near Round Pond, but they are only about a half mile in. :headbang:
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote