Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #21
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm leaving within the hour. See you guys at the trailhead. Looking forward to meeting both of you.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

While I'm having a blast climbing these mountains, I'm also becoming less concerned with completing this list as I accumulate more and more summits toward the 46r goal. The mountains seem to be taking care of themselves (so long as I don't intentionally repeat any I should finish this year a 46r). I'm wandering to other places, like Pennsylvania and the Catskills, on alternating weekends right now but still believe I'll have the reminaing peaks by November. If not, no biggie... but I'll be proud if it's actually done).

Wish me luck!

I'm already making a mental list of some peaks I'd like to reclimb next year (for whatever reasons, like no views when at the top the first time, etc). Gothics heads that list, Marcy and Cascade I'd like to climb during the non-winter months. I'm sure there will be others as I complete the climbs of the remaining mountains.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #23
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1889
Never done it myself but friends have and said it was very thick with no herd paths. Timewise it would be better to go down Tabletop and up the Phelps Mt. trail (or vice versa).
I did just that. Went up Tabletop, back down, then up Phelps that same day on my way back out. With as thick as it gets, as you say, I'm almost certain it would definately be quicker up, down, and back up again.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #24
Kevin
**BANNED**

I could use some advice.

I'm doing East Dix next Saturday, Dial is being saved for a later hike with some new hikers ("easier" hike for them mileage-wise)...

I have a Lake Colden base camping plan for 2 weekends away, so that leaves Phelps, Tabletop, Big Slide, and Allen to do tomorrow...

My question is this -- with the weather supposed to get nasty in the late afternoon, which peak is the fastest to summit? I'm guessing Big Slide or Phelps because of their proximity to the trail head. Will Tabletop add too much time to the Phelps hike? I'd really like to hike then the same day if possible... Street and Nye maybe?

If you can gimme some feedback now it would be greatly appreciated. I'll check the thread before I leave tomorrow AM .
Old 08-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #25
Kevin
**BANNED**

Actually, now that I remembered Street and Nye, I think I'll hike them tomorrow. After reading the McMartin book, it sounds perfect .
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #26
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Don't get eaten by the Nye wolf.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #27
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Don't get eaten by the Nye wolf.
I'm afraid to ask
Old 08-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #28
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm afraid to ask
Better to be afraid of the wolf!
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #29
Kevin
**BANNED**

So now the "which peak to finish on" discussion begins.

Gentleman I was speaking with on the 3rd bros Monday suggested Colden, while I had already picked Allen. Having, obviously, never hiked either of these mountains I wouldn't know which is "better".

I don't think it matters, I've enjoyed most of the peaks thus far and any of them could have been #46 (okay, maybe NOT Couchsachraga or Blake ). I was thinking Allen because everything I've heard about Allen is positive, and I figured I'd only invite "hiking friends" so the distance/climb won't make much of a difference.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #30
Dick
somewhere out there...

It depends upon what you mean by "better" and what type of final summiting you're looking for. Nice views on both summits. The ones on Colden are more spectacular, IMO. On the other hand, the hike in to Allen is more remote and varied, and has a certain "character" that separates it from most of the other high peaks.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:06 AM   #31
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
It depends upon what you mean by "better" and what type of final summiting you're looking for. Nice views on both summits. The ones on Colden are more spectacular, IMO. On the other hand, the hike in to Allen is more remote and varied, and has a certain "character" that separates it from most of the other high peaks.
Actually, that's VERY useful information Dick.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. What I find enjoyable changes from hike to hike. Some views like Whiteface are expansive, but don't do as much for me as the view from say Colvin. Some hikes are cumbersome, like the length from Times Square to Couchsachraga, while other hikes like East Dix from route 73 I found rather enjoyable.

Guess its hard to answer my question when I'm not even sure what it is I'm asking.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:21 AM   #32
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Quote:
I was thinking Allen because everything I've heard about Allen is positive...
Who have you been talking to? Allen is a long (~20 mile) slog on a very muddy herd path with limited views from the summit (compared to Colden). And there is no practical way to make a loop out of it, which I like to do when possible. It was my 46th by default, as it is for many. If I had to do it over, I would have saved something easier and more attractive for my 46th. Allen does have positives, i.e. remoteness, and parts of the approach walk are attractive along the Opalescent River.

Last edited by mike1889; 09-08-2004 at 11:09 AM..
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #33
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1889
Allen does have positives, i,e, remoteness, and parts of the approach walk are attractive along the Opalescent River.
That was what I believe people find most attractive about Allen is the remoteness. The "long walk" is the negative, I was talking with one of my friends who introduced me to hiking (Dave) about Allen last year, and that was one of his concerns was the long hike.

Is it really 20 miles round trip? I've seen estimates of 16-18...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #34
Dick
somewhere out there...

No way it's 16 miles. I think it's just over 7 miles to Skylight Brook, maybe another 3/4 mile or so to Allen Brook. Then you have to climb the mountain. And return. Perhaps just under 20 miles? We did it as an overnight, climbing the mountain on the second day, then out. Speaking for myself, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot less as a dayhike.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #35
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Is it really 20 miles round trip? I've seen estimates of 16-18...
Iffin is ain't it 20 miles, it dam sho feels like it.

Kevin it's a really personal choice. Yes, Allen is very remote, but I did NOT get a cozy felling on that summit. I certainly did on Couchsachraga, Grace and some of the other "out there" peaks. I did not find it overwhemlingly difficult. I celebrated on Allen (masshysteria's 46th), but for me. I would not have enjoyed it too much. The 9 mile slog out was on my mind from the moment I hit the summit.

Colden, on the other hand, was one of those summit that "spoke" to me. I was with my son, alone on the summit for over 1.5 hours on a perfect bluebird day. It'd be a no-brainer, I take colden. Also, cuz you can get out early enough to have a nice celebratory dinner.

Again, WHAT TYPE OF EXPERIENCE DO YOU WANT. Me, my journey invloved other people the whole way. It was altogether fitting to celebrate on Whiteface in a crowd. I generally adhore crowds on summit and likely (outside of winter) be less inclined to clime Whiteface again (out of all of them). My spiritual journey ended on Esther, my celebration began on Whiteface.

Choose wisely my friend, and for the right reason, for you've earned the right to have the best place for your "lifetime obligation to the mountains' as a 46er to begin .
Old 09-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #36
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Choose wisely my friend, and for the right reason, for you've earned the right to have the best place for your "lifetime obligation to the mountains' as a 46er to begin .
Unfortunately climbing Colden was kinda out of my hands because of the most excellent group hike Saturday, but what I did decide to do is leave the final summit up for vote .
Old 10-10-2004, 01:25 AM   #37
Kevin
**BANNED**

Bumping, added new detail to the first post.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=911