Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
glansj
Jeff G

Question Dix range from Bouquet R

I am interested in climbing E. Dix, S. Dix and Hough from the hunter's path on the south fork of the Bouquet River. I gather the climb up the slide on E. Dix is quite nice. It would make a loop and return to the valley from the col on the north side of Hough. Has anyone been down this way and can tell me what it's like. Thanks.

Jeff
glansj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
percious
Transplanted

you should check over on www.viewsfromthetop.com . I know someone on there has done it, and written a TR.

-percious
Old 10-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
glansj
Jeff G

Thanks for the tip. I must be dense, I can't find it. I searched trip reports for Hough, Bouquet and Boquet to no avail. Lots of reports, but noone dropping east out of that col.

Jeff
glansj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by glansj
It would make a loop and return to the valley from the col on the north side of Hough. Has anyone been down this way and can tell me what it's like.
VERY thick for the first... oh, maybe quarter to half mile, then open forest, very easy walking.

If doing it in the fall (hunting season) just think that there may be a reason that the path is called a "hunter's path"
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
wiltz101

Campsite

Does anyone have any info on the campsite that is supposed to exist between Hough and South Dix? Does it even exist or is it at to high of an elevation and if it does exist is there a water source? I imagine water would be hard to come by up there. I want to do an overnight coming in along the south fork of the boquet and am trying to decide where the best place to camp would be. Any info, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltz101
Does anyone have any info on the campsite that is supposed to exist between Hough and South Dix? Does it even exist or is it at to high of an elevation and if it does exist is there a water source? I imagine water would be hard to come by up there. I want to do an overnight coming in along the south fork of the boquet and am trying to decide where the best place to camp would be. Any info, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
There is a camp site there (in the col), with some water to the north/northeast about <50 yards right along the trail. I take note of such things while hiking for the exact reason you're asking . Seen it twice now (on 2 different trips), so I know I'm not imagining it.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltz101
Be advised that camping between 3500 and 4000' in the Dix Mountain Wilderness is restricted to designated campsites only. The col between Hough and South Dix is at about 3900', so it my not be a legal campsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWAUMP
... the APSLMP prohibits camping above 4,000 feet in wilderness areas and
allows camping in wilderness areas between 3,500 and 4,000 feet only at designated campsites where
physical and biological conditions are favorable (APSLMP, 2001, Page 21).
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d.../reg5/dix1.pdf

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
Kevin
**BANNED**

Zac, thanks for the reminder! I don't recall any discs to designate that spot, which makes sense since that section of trail isn't maintained by the DEC.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
wiltz101

I figured it wasn't a legal site but i thought i would ask. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Dick
somewhere out there...

I believe that Sno-Bird and Lake Arnold are the only two sites at that altitude that are mentioned in the HP guide. We had some recent discussion on adkhighpeaks forum (or VFTT?) about Rocky Peak Ridge and the campsite that is shown on the map but is not mentioned in the HP guide, and whether or not it was legal.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote