Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
wkies
traildog

Pharaoh Lake Wilderness

I'm thinkng about heading into Pharaoh Lake area this weekend- I've been there a few previous times but always used trailheads from the south. Any good routes from the north?
wkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkies
I'm thinkng about heading into Pharaoh Lake area this weekend- I've been there a few previous times but always used trailheads from the south. Any good routes from the north?
Hi wkies,
The first time I was in to Pharaoh lake was from Putnam pond state campground. That was a nice trail. I like the trail from the south better because of the 4x4 trail that gets you in there. 4 wheelings half the fun!

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I've done the stretch from 73 to Lillypad Pond (which continues on as a longer route to PL from the north). Very pretty in there as well. I'm under the impression that all trails that lead to Pharaoh Lake are a nice walk. Putnam Pond and that immediate area has some awesome camping opportunities as well. IMO, it's an easy place in the ADKs to just 'get away'. I was also rather impressed with the views from Treadway Mountain.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
WeedHopper

Hey wkies,

I've done a nice loop hike in that area starting from the Putnam Pond campground. My first nite I spend at Rock Pond. This is one of my favorite areas to camp. coming from Putnam Pond, I like to camp on the far shoreline. There are a few really nice areas to camp. The next day, following the loop around Putnam Pond, you can hike up Treadway Mountain. Watch out for the false summit....keep going! After coming off of the mountain on the same trail, follow the loop trail to Grizzle Ocean. There is a nice lean-to there. Or you can continue on to Pharaoh Lake. I set up camp at Pharaoh Lake on a rock peninsula as you first get to the lake. The next day, back track past Grizzle Ocean and out to Putnam Pond. I've done this trip in the spring and we didn't run into much by way of high water and/or mud. Have fun!

Weedhopper/Ray
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
wkies
traildog

Thanks for the info. I'm most likely going to be in there this weekend for a few nights. I will probably hit the Putnam Pond, Lilypad Pond, Pharaoh Lake, Grizzle Ocean loop. Are the campsites at Rock Pond designated? thanks.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
fvrwld

There is a real nice designated site on Rock Pond directly across from the lean-to. When you are at Rock Pond make sure to check out the mine and the quarry. To find the quarry just hike up the hill behind the mine.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

The Crane Pond Road is a good access point as well. If you want directions, let me know. I did the loop around Putts Pond in September, and even on a rainy day it was awesome. There are so many great places to explore, it's ridiculous. I hope you have a great time.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
wkies
traildog

Went in this weekend for three days. Did the Rock Pond - Pharoah Lake - Grizzle Ocean Loop. Highlights included: a cold and quick swim (the weather was perfect friday afternoon) in Rock Pond; 3-5 inches of snow on Sunday morning; great foliage (just yellows); and only saw three other folks. Did some exploring of the old mine and quarry at Rock Pond... very cool stuff. Great stone work around the old smelter. Any history on the old mine?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
fvrwld

With all the recent rain I am a little leary about driving through the "pond" near the end of the road into Crane Pond. Is there a foot path around it?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet
Likes to hike

There is a trail that comes in from the North via a trailhead on Route 74. I can't remember if it's before or after the swamp.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
With all the recent rain I am a little leary about driving through the "pond" near the end of the road into Crane Pond. Is there a foot path around it?
Subarus don't float?

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
There is a marked "detour" foot path around the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
Subarus don't float?
The last time I drove through that spot the water was over my bumper on my forester. It sunk like a rock.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
There is a trail that comes in from the North via a trailhead on Route 74. I can't remember if it's before or after the swamp.
If this is the one we've taken (twice), it's a good trail, though definitely a longer approach.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Fvrwld, that is always nasty, but never as nasty as it looks. I haven't been up there though, but I bet it's passable with a high vehicle.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #15
fvrwld

Thanks for the info.

GrayGhost, when I had my S10 I never hesitated to go through the pond but I'm afraid that all the rain may be too much for my Baja or Kevins Santa Fe.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #16
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

It probably would be. I talk tough, but I'm a big chicken! I backed off last year and I was driving my Xterra! I got some courage after a guy told me it's not as nearly as bad as it looks. I drove my Frontier through at the beginning of July. It wasn't too bad but may be now.