Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

National Geographics Wyoming Topo!

Went on Line to try to purchase this. Especially since NG has lowered their prices for the State Series to $49.95 from $99.95.

It was "out of stock" at National Geographic and from Amazon and other places.

So I emailed maps@nationalgeographic.com and asked when the Wyoming Topo! would be available.

The reply that I received was that "National Geographic was discontinuing the state series and that they were already out of Wyoming".

So I sent them back an email and asked that since they wee no longer going to publish and sell the state series, does that mean that we free to give or swap whatever topo maps we have? I've purchased many in the past. I haven't received an answer yet.

I think it's a bummer that they are no longer going to carry them. Strange that there was no announcement. They probably lowered the price to dump the stock that they have.

I'm assuming that like Garmin they are going to now offer a different format and charge higher prices.

Oh well, I guess national Geographic is no beter then any of the other companies. Soon I expect to see advertising in their magazine.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
redhawk

Found Wyomig Topo! at geomaps.com for $49.95 + shipping.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

IIRC there was a merger or a buyout of NG's TOPO! And some other company was now involved.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
IIRC there was a merger or a buyout of NG's TOPO! And some other company was now involved.
Be nice if it was garmin and they were going to work the NG maps into loading into their units.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I thought it was some online trail company not a gps company, or my memory is just messed up.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I thought it was some online trail company not a gps company, or my memory is just messed up.
Messed up memory? You??!!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
jjmcwill

Unhappy Alltrails.com

http://alltrails.com/partners/national_geographic

Everybody is moving to a "service" based product these days with a yearly fee. I hate it!

I don't need Microsoft Office as an online service, and I sure don't want TOPO maps as an online service.

I haven't tried the AllTrails.com "Pro" ($49.99 /year) subscription, so I can't tell whether it will offer similar flexibility and options when printing maps as the TOPO! series did. I'd be willing to wager it does not.

I think that leaves Delorme Topo North America as the only remaining desktop PC mapping software.
jjmcwill is offline   Reply With Quote