Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Mozongo
Hershey,Pa

When did the shelters disappear??

Brand new to the forum.As a youth in 1961 my brothers,Dad and a cousin climbed Mt Marcy and later after my graduation in 66 I went back up with some buddies.My last attempt with my children,brothers,neices and nephews was thwarted in 1982 when the rangers would not let us register because of the size of our party (11)?...anyway,there used to be 2 stone shelters up there.Does anyone know when they were taken down and why?Enquiring minds want to know.
Mozongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Kevin
**BANNED**

Hello and welcome to the forums!

The shelters near Indian Falls (on the way up to Marcy) and such were removed because of new regulations. Any lean-tos/shelters above 3500 feet were removed. They also trimmed back on Ranger camps. They even prohibited camping anywhere in the park above 4,000 feet in order to protect the fragile alpine vegetation. Camping in the immediate eastern high peaks is limited to designated spots only, and none above 3500 feet. No camp fires in the eastern high peaks either. They want the dead and down to rot and add nutrients to the soil. Because of all this, I tend to camp elsewhere in the park and just dayhike the mountains.

Traffic in the Adirondacks has grown quite a bit over the years, it was about all they could do to ensure the endangered species of plant life on top stayed there. If you have a chance someday, visit Lake Colden and the camping areas. It's like a stampede of cattle went through there. People aren't big, but when thousands come through an area over a 6 month stretch year after year the impact is greater than nature can replenish.

I'm not 100% sure about the dates for individual shelters. Some of the lean-tos above 3500 feet were removed in the late 1970s.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Mozongo
Hershey,Pa

Thanks Kevin
I know all about herd traffic.I was just curious though and can now share this with the bros on our annual canoe trip next week in the daks
Old 09-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Dick
somewhere out there...

Hi Mozongo, welcome to the forum. A poster on VFTT mentioned that they were removed in the late 1960's or very early 1970's. I don't know much about them, but they have taken out shelters from that area in recent years, due to overcrowding. I did manage to find a picture of the stone shelter on Marcy:

http://www.geocities.com/pagestories...ddingtrip.html

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Dick, I'll check the map in my mid to late 70s high peaks guide tonight and try to narrow down a date. I recall seeing some of the 3500+ foot shelters on the map and mentioned in the guide, but I can't recall if it was in my copy or a another adkforum member's 1975 guide book.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Mozongo
Hershey,Pa

Dick
Yup...That's em.. Real vintage photo you found.Mine I guess would be considered classic... color photos.Thanks Dick
Mo
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozongo
anyway,there used to be 2 stone shelters up there.Does anyone know when they were taken down and why?Enquiring minds want to know.
According to "Of the Summits of the Forests," the state destroyed the stone shelter in 1968, (Pririe MacDonald) because it had crumbing stone and broken windows. It no longer was impressive.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Kevin
**BANNED**

My guide is 1979, and none of the lean-tos above 3500 feet are on the map. Must have been Joe's mid-70's guide that still had a few of them...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Pete_Hickey

The removal of the stone shelter on the summit of Marcy was not a part of the lean-to removal of the 70's. It wasn't considered in that class, and was not destroyed for the reasons the lean-tos were.

I remember climbing Marcy soon after it was destroyed. They had left the garbage all around. In particular, I remember an old metal bed. One never found beds in the lean-tos.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
AntlerPerak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
My guide is 1979, and none of the lean-tos above 3500 feet are on the map. Must have been Joe's mid-70's guide that still had a few of them...
Mid 70's guide? Not sure who Joe is but I have a 1975 reprint of the 1972. It is titled the 8th edition. The committe chairman listed, no editor given as this is a revised reprint is a fellow named Donald McLaughlin.

The above 3500 foot lean-to's are listed in that guide. These are the ones in question though there may have been more Sno-Bird, Hopkins, Plateau, Lake Tear, Four Corners, Indian Falls #1, Indian Falls #2, Lake Arnold.

Here is an interesting exerpt from the Orebed trail,
" at 2.72 mi the trail levels off crossing the brook and passed the site of the Gothics Lean-To that burned down in 1969. The jct with the range trail is reached in the col at 2.80"

I am not sure when the eight offenders were raised except Lake Tear was the last one to be removed. We camped in it on the week-end of September 10-11 1977. It was that week-end that Four corners was burned. Jim Goodwin was with the group who removed Four corners and we had spoken with him early on Sunday morning the 11th. He told us Lake Tear would not be removed until the spring of 78' at the earliest. When we made the short hike from Lake Tear to Four Corners all that remained were ashes. That one and Sno-Bird were the only ones of this group I had never seen.

As I recall Plateau and Hopkins were the first to go and based upon their condition when I saw them they were twenty years too late in taking them down. Both were is horrible shape, dark dank floorless with roofs that appeared to have many leaks. No pictures of these as there seemed to be no good reason to preserve these structures on perfectly good Kodachrome.

The two at Indian Falls were not much to brag about either but considering where they were and the traffic flow they had to tolerate it must have been an achievement they stood as long as they did. As with the two above Indian Falls I only saw them once and don't recall if they had a floor in them or not.

Lake Arnold was actually nice even if most regard that location with distain, due to the trail more than anything I am guessing. I recall being caught in a late November freezing rain storm coming off Colden and hunkering down in that shelter drinking hot coffee and changing into warm dry clothes waiting out the ice fall. The blessed roof did not leak and the floor was solid and dry.

Lake Tear was the gem of the lot though My 45th was Gray Peak which we did in the late after noon. Then spent the night in the lean-to with a beautiful view of that pretty lake with Marcy rising above. The shelter had a solid floor, good roof and was in real good shape. I recall the area was very clean unlike Indian Falls and the Plateau area. Too bad it had to go! The next morning it was up Skylight for number 46. There is something special being on a high peak around eight am.

Hopes this fills in some gaps, and it was nice to recall Lake Tear.
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
RonandJon

Very Interesting Posts

Dick

Great old picture of the stone shelter I had no idea it ever existed.

Antler Perak

Really interesting stuff on the old lean-to's As I did not start hiking in the region until 1998, I never saw or got to stay in any of the lean-to's you mention. I have seen some of the remnants of the lean-to's you describe, especially the one above Indian Falls. Would have loved to stay in the one at 4 Corners from the way you describe it.

As it is, my favorite lean-to is the one at Uphill Brook, but my favorite stay in a lean-to was the two nights we spent in the lean-to in Panther Gorge. I love ADK lean-to's! Ron

Last edited by RonandJon; 10-07-2005 at 08:30 PM..
RonandJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
AntlerPerak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandJon
Dick

Great old picture of the stone shelter I had no idea it ever existed.

Antler Perak

Really interesting stuff on the old lean-to's As I did not start hiking in the region until 1998, I never saw or got to stay in any of the lean-to's you mention. I have seen some of the remnants of the lean-to's you describe, especially the one above Indian Falls. Would have loved to stay in the one at 4 Corners from the way you describe it.

As it is, my favorite lean-to is the one at Uphill Brook, but my favorite stay in a lean-to was the two nights we spent in the lean-to in Panther Gorge. I love ASK lean-to's! Ron

It was Lake Tear that was my favorite. We had backpacked into Panther Gorge in the early eighties with bags of grass seed and fertilizer. Perhaps ten of us carried one bag of each to seed the area at Four Corners. Really liked Panther Gorge wild remote and quite beautiful.
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

There was a good article in the Winter 1976 issue of Adirondack Peeks about the lean-tos that were dismantled that fall. I scanned and it can be seen here:

http://www.adk-albany.org/leanto_peeks_w76.doc

Last edited by mike1889; 10-11-2005 at 08:17 PM..
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote