Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
moomaw

Question Looking for some backcountry skiing info

This is my second winter living in Albany and it's about time I checked out the backcountry skiing opportunities. I have been in the backcountry out west and I have resort skiied since I was 6. A couple of questions:

1) I have hiked Hadley Mountain a couple of times and it seems like a perfect beginner trip that is close to home. What kind of snow cover would I need to ski a trail like that (normal narrow, tree covered, rocky trail). Am I looking for a huge snow dump on top of a heavy Jan/Feb base or could I ski it pretty much any time there is a normal base?

2) What are some of the favorite trips (especially any close to Albany)?

3) Any Idea where to shop for some used randonee gear?

Thanks for any help!
moomaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
Flatrock

Ebay is one of the best places to shop for used ski gear, especially this time of year before most people are thinking much about skiing. The best deals are usually when someone has mis-labeled (or missed the point) in their title or description, because most serious used gear shoppers use keywords to search for gear, and tend to miss some of the gems.

The Adirondack ski trails I am familiar with are generally skiable on 6-12 inches of snow, but best with two feet or more in the way of base. If you try to press your luck down around six inches, use some old skis that can take some rock action.