Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
thedoughnut

Upper Benson to Piseco

I originally wanted to do the whole trail, but ended up stopping at Piseco. It rained and poured everyday and I got tired of being soaked everyday. I started on Monday in the afternoon and stopped at the Silver Lake lean to. What a beautiful spot Silver Lake is. I shared the lean to with one other person, and was actually surprised anyone was there. The trail in was pretty good, no real problems. There was a little mud, but not bad.
I set out the next day around 8:30. The trail got a little muddier, mostly because of all of the rain and thunder storms. I stopped at Mud Lake lean to for a late lunch, and thankfully the rain stopped for the time being. Shortly after leaving the lean to, the skies opened up. I got soaked. I picked up the pace and made it to Whitehouse. I considered pitching my tent and stopping for the day, but instead opted to push on to Hamilton Stream lean to, which was only 2.5 miles away. I hustled as fast as I could and made it there pretty quickly. I tried to get a fire going, but that never happened. I stripped out of my clothes and into something warm and dry, had dinner, read, and then hit they hay. The marsh before Canary Pond is flooded over the corduroy wood, probably by three to four inches. There was a crew there rebuilding it.
I woke up around 6:30 to rain. I had breakfast and decided to wait a little while to see if it would let up, which it thankfully did. I headed out in a light drizzle, which quickly stopped. Shortly after passing Priest's Vly, it started pouring again and didn't stop until I got to route 8. This section of the trail was more muddier than the other parts. I made it to Casey's store around 12:30. I ate some delicious chili, which warmed me up nicely. It kept raining and I decided that I was done. I didn't want to quit, but I was soaked and a lot of my gear was wet. I called my buddy and he came and picked me up.
I'm definitely going to come back and finish. I was really excited to get up to the West Canada lakes area, and I still am excited. Overall, the trail is in really good condition. There are some wet and muddy spots, but that is to be expected with all of the rain. This is a great hike.
thedoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

i had same conditions but got to wakley few years back....heading back this weekend for wakley to LL, never been so wet, my feet gave out from being wet , my boots decided to leak....new boots and waterproof socks im ready to finish...the WCL part is great... think 2nd LT right on water..spruce pond was nice too... with a mixed forcast this weekend im sure to get wet...again.... congrats on almost half....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
dundee

You should make plans to finish! I love the NP and the section you did is considered by most to be the most boring. It does however, contain a large amount of old-growth timber and that's what I like about the section.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
TCD

Definitely make plans to finish, I agree. We're partial to the Cold River area, which is just stunningly beautiful, and we also found the Silver Lake area a bit boring (we said "looks like Pennsylvania"). The woods and lakes are nice, and it's very remote. But at Miller's Falls on the Cold River, you will think you've been transported to the Sierras. It's just breathtaking...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Rusty and the Maniac

Yup, days full of rain wear on you, this weather has been miserable... Time to start section hiking.