Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Long Lake Tent Sites

Hi Friends,
Any recommendations for a nice tent site along Long Lake?
Something in between Kelly Point & Rodney Point would be ideal, but would be curious of other options also.
Perhaps there are a few sites that are boat access only and don't have a footpath to them from the NPT...maybe?

Thoughts?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

If your goal is what I think it is, there is one right where you are looking. There is a footpath to it as well from the NPT.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If your goal is what I think it is, there is one right where you are looking. There is a footpath to it as well from the NPT.
Thanks Russ.
My goal is to head northbound on the NPT as far as I can from Long Lake Village for only 1 night, while stopping somewhere along the way to set up camp (other than a lean-to), and keep it under a 4 hour walk out on the return the next day....unfortunately I need to be home at a reasonable hour...

Btw, saw your entry from July in the Silver Lake Lean-to log book last weekend.

Last edited by Justin; 11-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: entry
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Bill I.

I noted only one campsite between those two points, almost certainly the same one hinted at by DT.

Lots of lean-tos, though. Steer clear of Kelly Point, because I'm pretty sure that spot is not your style.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Bill,
The '04 Discover High Peaks mentions "There are several campsites beneath the tall hemlock...."
I have a 'star' noted in the margin next to this from years ago, and I'm finally getting the chance to explore this section of the guide book & possibly more this weekend.
I'm sure I'll be back.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

As of early August, there were at least three sites between the points (possibly more, I was there just long enough to eat lunch and stretch legs while paddling north). The 'first' site (just south of the first stream) had a huge scar from a fire that escaped from the clearly inadequate make shift fire ring and burned a huge tunnel in the organic soil. The second site was on the N side of same stream and looked to be in reasonable shape. IIRC, the other site was further north just past the second stream.
On the paddle back, it looked like there was a DEC motor boat beached at the first site, so it could have been closed/moved/?
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for your help TG, as always.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
The 'first' site (just south of the first stream) had a huge scar from a fire that escaped from the clearly inadequate make shift fire ring and burned a huge tunnel in the organic soil.

The second site was on the N side of same stream and looked to be in reasonable shape.
Found them, thanks again guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duff fire scar.jpg (112.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg campsite 2.jpg (143.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Looks like a nice spot in the second photo. Your tent looks a lot like mine, for a moment I thought something strange had happened.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Looks like a nice spot in the second photo. Your tent looks a lot like mine, for a moment I thought something strange had happened.
Zach
Thanks Zach,
It is indeed a nice, hidden, & sheltered site, with room for a few tents....and I'm sure the next occupants will be just as happy, if not more, as I was to find it.

Tent is a Eureka Spitfire 2, which is my father's tent that I've been holding ransom until he comes backpacking with me again.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

....and just for the record and anyone else looking for tent sites along Long Lake, I found at least one at or near the mouth of every stream that the NPT crosses from Catlin Bay to Rodney Point....none were designated, including the one I stayed at. Not all are suitable for a campfire and most should be avoided by large groups imho.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Mine is a spitfire solo, I guess in the picture couldn't tell the difference. I will have to visit that area someday.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Good to hear you enjoyed the trip/site and didn't run into any rowdy crowds.
LL is so much nicer during the "shoulder" season..
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

my first time along Long Lake this year doing the NPT I was amazed of the beauty and great spots to offer by foot or boat...I'll plan a weekend this year there for sure..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Good to hear you enjoyed the trip/site and didn't run into any rowdy crowds.
LL is so much nicer during the "shoulder" season..
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
my first time along Long Lake this year doing the NPT I was amazed of the beauty and great spots to offer by foot or boat...I'll plan a weekend this year there for sure..

Yeah the off season seems like a good time to visit this area. I didn't see any others except General Posts and his buddies at Catlin Bay lean-to #1, and 1 hunter along the NPT.
There was a little trash that I cleaned up along the way at a few spots, a couple sites had some major duff-fire damage, and there were a few fire pits with half burnt tree trunks in it, so it was obvious to me that this area gets a lot of use.
I must have just missed the last occupants at Plumley's Lean-to #2... They had built a small fire-ring right in front of the lean-to and left some trash in it, and as I was cleaning it all up I noticed that the ashes & rocks were still warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plumley 2.jpg (105.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg plumley 2a.jpg (138.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Justin; 11-08-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Looks pretty typical but not atrocious.

For some reason I kept finding these cardboard egg cartons by or in all the fire pits I came across this summer.

My guess was people thought they were doing you a favor by leaving something flammable to get a fire going.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
Looks pretty typical but not atrocious.
I agree and have seen much worse, but it does show how people can be careless.
The breeze was very heavy that day, and it wouldn't have taken much to ignite those coals.... then the deacon seat....and then the whole lean-to....and then...!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Yeah... 'tis a bit close for comfort.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
Yeah... 'tis a bit close for comfort.
I'm sure 'twas the whole idea.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I always thought that style might be more apt for winter camping in the mountains.