Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryTripAnExpedition View Post
Is there any place (ie. perhaps a private residence) to hook up with to do a gear drop
on the Cedar River Road? You know, between Wakely Dam and Route 30? Seems like somebody would be willing to do it for a few bucks, maybe even let you camp in their backyard, wash up and such. Seems like after coming out of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, you'd want something special out of your supply "goody pack!"
Hard to say. In '01 when a friend (with bad knees; ok on a trail, but painful on pavment or dirt) thru-hiked we saw a gent outside doing yard work at his home along Cedar Riv. Rd. We asked if there was a taxi in Indian Lake that we could call for a ride and he said no there wasn't, but that he would give us a ride to the dam. Sometimes you meet very nice folks out there.

On the other hand, many Adirondackers don't like hikers. Hikers come from the city and value the Forest Preserve and Wilderness; concepts that these Adirondackers don't understand and don't want to.

You'll have to knock on some doors and find out.

It's odd. Your house will burn down and these folks will be the first to help out, but if you had a flag flying above your house saying, "Support the APA", they'll be the one lighting the match.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post

On the other hand, many Adirondackers don't like hikers. Hikers come from the city and value the Forest Preserve and Wilderness; concepts that these Adirondackers don't understand and don't want to.

You'll have to knock on some doors and find out.

It's odd. Your house will burn down and these folks will be the first to help out, but if you had a flag flying above your house saying, "Support the APA", they'll be the one lighting the match.
I think that what you have written here is offensive. It makes broad generalizations, and casts park residents in a poor light.

Those of us who live here don't come on this forum and cast aspersions on those who travel here to recreate. You should have a similar respect for us.

There are odd ducks living everywhere. I am sure there are some in your town too. That doesn't mean folks should say bad things about some of the folks where you live.

Poor choice of message. Rude and insensitive. Attack language is not permitted on these forums. I have reported your post as offensive and abusive.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
Poor choice of message. Rude and insensitive. Attack language is not permitted on these forums. I have reported your post as offensive and abusive.
He's stated his opinion, and did not do so in a way that attacked any particular person/member. Attack language??? Hardly. Now you can certainly take offense at his statements, and respectfully counter-argue his position, but there is no violations of rules that I see.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
Neil
Kayak-46

Here's rule number 2:
2) No profanity, personal attacks, derogatory remarks, deliberate goading (trolling) or taunting will be tolerated. It is understood that, at times there will be disagreements and dissenting opinions. We only ask that they be done in a civil, reasoned and rational manner.

I interpret this to mean , "none of this against other forum members, either in a thread post or via PM". A literal interpretation suggests that ANY derogatory remark made on the forum, period, is against the rules. I think a wording change of the rule might help tighten the specificity up.

OTOH, I suppose you could consider that a derogatory remark was made against forum members who live in the park. Then the comment could be construed as violating the spirit of the rule. However, I think that's stretching things too much and such an interpretation, if applied in a general sense, would have an inhibitory effect.

I agree in letting the post stand and of course welcome more rebuttals like CP's if anyone sees fit. That is, as long as the spirit of Rule #2 is respected.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #25
12trysomething

resupply questions

Another consideration, if you are doing a vehicle drop, is caching food where you want it. On the way back down to Upper Benson, from Placid, plan to stop and make your drops.

I have used new 5 gallon pails from Home Depot and the PCT bear hanging method. However I did paint over the bright orange bucket with some black and green. It is less worrisome for me to control any/all re-supplies.

After the hike return to pick up the buckets.

Enjoy!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
Another consideration, if you are doing a vehicle drop, is caching food where you want it. On the way back down to Upper Benson, from Placid, plan to stop and make your drops.

I have used new 5 gallon pails from Home Depot and the PCT bear hanging method. However I did paint over the bright orange bucket with some black and green. It is less worrisome for me to control any/all re-supplies.

After the hike return to pick up the buckets.

Enjoy!
That's the rub.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #27
werdigo49

I wonder if the original poster, and others in this thread, have considered whether resupply is really necessary. The trail might take 2 weeks... with freeze-dried foods and a willingness to start a bit heavy, one can make Benson to LP with no resupply at all. I've done it.
werdigo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #28
12trysomething

resupply questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdigo49 View Post
I wonder if the original poster, and others in this thread, have considered whether resupply is really necessary. The trail might take 2 weeks... with freeze-dried foods and a willingness to start a bit heavy, one can make Benson to LP with no resupply at all. I've done it.
It could be done....I wouldn't do it with the ease and options to re supply a plenty. At 1.5 to 2 pounds of food a day (18-24 additional pounds) you are much heavier than I would want to carry given the terrain and "trail-whack" necessary to complete.

YMMV though.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #29
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdigo49 View Post
Yes I have thought about it but have made no decisions yet. It is certainly possible, but many factors. Though I really want to do this and have two week vacation lined up, I've got a bunch of stuff going on thats going to potentially kill a lot of my plans this year. So a good chance I might not even do it.

Not just the food weight is the issue, but the fuel too, and space... if I can replace the hipbelt on my big older pack I might try and see if I can fit nearly two weeks worth of food. If I don't get my old pack in running condition, and don't want to buy another pack just for that trip, then I'm definitely doing a resupply as my new pack I'm guessing is around 3-5 days capacity.

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote