Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
swillhiker

NPT Trail Conditions for 8/13 through hike

Hi, all...

My long-planned-for northbound through hike of the NPT is coming up, beginning on August 13th! I have not been on the NPT before, but I've been studying the map, guidebook, and nptrail.org site for some time now. I was hoping that over the next couple of weeks, you all would be able to share any insight you have as to trail conditions, bug updates (like the bees that are under one of the bridges!), or anything else you might find useful to a trip 2 weeks from now.

I know this is a very open ended question, but the more intel I can get on trail conditions, the more prepared I'll feel...thanks!!!
swillhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I believe "The Hobo" knocked down the wasp nest under the bridge so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. i didn't notice any last week when I crossed it. In general expect wet feet at some point. Blowdown is plentiful, but paths around are obvious, longer ones are flagged.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
swillhiker

Thanks for the feedback! I've been expecting wet feet anyway what with the amount of rain that we've had this year. As long as you're not telling me that it's boot sucking mud the entire way, I can live with that.

Lots of talk about "The Hobo" lately. Sounds like he's chatty but harmless. Is this accurate? I only ask because if he's militantly anti-yuppy he'll see my florescent gear coming a mile away - bright colors tend to be the cheapest on clearance!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The hobo is harmless. I never got the anti-yuppie impression from him.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
thedoughnut

I shared a lean to with "Hobo Chris" and it was fine. He is definitely chatty, but also very knowledgeable about the NPT. According to him, he's completed it many times, he does spend all of the warmer months on it. When I went through a little over a month ago (only made it to Piseco because of all of the rain) the marshy area a little past Canary Pond was getting a new walkway. The corduroy trail that is always under water was being replaced. I stopped there for a break and chit chatted with the crew as they were cutting and felling trees. I imagine that it is completed by now. Definitely cut across the beaver meadow if it's not flooded, and I imagine it shouldn't be. That is all the insight I can give because I only made it to Piseco. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Looking forward to reading your trip report.

~thedoughnut

Last edited by thedoughnut; 08-13-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: typo
thedoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

very easy to follow, as DT said, blowdown and wet feet... I never seen or heard of the bees but maybe was not on my last section... wet feet and all it is fun and rewarding..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
swillhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The hobo is harmless. I never got the anti-yuppie impression from him.
Glad to hear that. Not that I can't handle myself in a friendly discussion, just wanted to make sure that nobody got an uneasy feeling from him. Not a bad way to pass the summer!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
swillhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoughnut View Post
When I went through a little over a month ago (only made it to Piseco because of all of the rain) the marshy area a little past Canary Pond was getting a new walkway. The corduroy trail that is always under water was bring replaced.
Man, that's nice to hear! I'm always amazed at the quality (and quantity!) of trail work that gets done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoughnut View Post
Definitely cut across the beaver meadow if it's not flooded, and I imagine it shouldn't be.
When you say the "beaver meadow" you mean right there where the corduroy has been replaced?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
thedoughnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillhiker View Post
Man, that's nice to hear! I'm always amazed at the quality (and quantity!) of trail work that gets done.

When you say the "beaver meadow" you mean right there where the corduroy has been replaced?
Nope. If I recall correctly, it's in between Canary Pond and Mud Lake. Trust me, you'll know when you're there. The trail comes right up to the edge of the meadow and there's a big beaver lodge. You want to angle towards the far right corner. That's where the dam was/is. There may be a little stream flowing through the meadow, follow it, it will lead you to where the dam was/is and you can pick the trail up again right there. The marked trail follows the meadow around and by crossing it, you can save maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, roughly.
thedoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
TCD

Conditions there may vary, also. When we got there 6 years ago, the trail ended at the shore of a lake (not a meadow) and you could see the next marker far across the water. The way around to the right was more like a bushwhack, crawling over and under blowdown, with a few trail markers that had been reluctantly placed along it to "adopt" it as the only practical route. Don't know about today.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The new corduroy was almost complete as of a few weeks ago. Only the first few yards and the last few yards were not laid in yet.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
LeftRightLeft

I hiked the NPT last fall and met (if i remember correctly) the Hobo. We shot the... for 15 mins or so. I would be more worried about mud than him. He was a bit eccentric and appeared a bit sketchy (but wasn't) and was friendly and knowledgeable and loved the ADK as much as all of us. That affinity of wild places we here have was evident and I would be happy to share a leanto with him.

Beautiful trail...hope you have a great trip. PM me ( I don't check this site much) if you want and specifics.

Best of luck and you are in for a treat!@!@
LeftRightLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
swillhiker

Thanks, everyone!!

Thanks for your support and info, everyone.

If you're interested, here's my SPOT GPS website link. You won't see anything until 4am tomorrow, but then you can follow my progress.

Very excited!!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
Rusty and the Maniac

Did anyone else look at his tracker!?!!? He went 18 hrs and made it to the west canadas in the 1st day!!! So he should be done by fri?!? Hot damn, i'm gonna keep wayching that tracker!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
randomscooter
Native Earthling

He's up to Wakely Dam in 34 hours. And he started from the bridge in Northville so he's traveled 68 miles, over half way.
He was really pumped when I dropped him off yesterday morning at 4am. He's gotta be tired now, but if he's still mentally in the zone he'll have a chance to push through it.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Rusty and the Maniac

He's at the north end of long lake!!! Yep. Looks like he'll be done tmrow! I haven't done anything near that cool this week....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Rusty and the Maniac

Looks like he'll be done before lunchtime. Wow, that's badass! 4 days. Nice job! I think alot of people missed out on this thread, but that spot was fun to check throughout the week!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
randomscooter
Native Earthling

3 days, 8 hours. RR station to RR station. Good for you Steve.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
swillhiker

Thanks!

Thanks, Tom. I'm enjoying a nice Ubu Ale right now, along with a rapidly disappearing pizza. Also, thanks again for the ride so early in the AM!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
SummitHat
That was fun

That's a lot of miles in relatively few hours - is the bear that was chasing you having an Ubu too?

Congrats on completing the trail!
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote