Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

resupply questions

So I'm dabbling with the idea of doing the NPT next year. I've read a little on it here, plus the website, and got the Adirondack Trails: Northville Placid Trail book. Lots of good info and its nice they included a pamphlet showing a change in the trail a few years back.

While I am not a gram weenie, and have packed in 50# packs before, I have to admit I do enjoy having a lighter and smaller pack and have been upgrading most of my gear little by little the last two years. I like that the trail guide had suggestions about mailing yourself supplies too, thats really neat, and I am surprised they would publish something like that since it seems to be mis using the postal system (though it mentions they really don't mind). Resupplying at a mid point, or twice, might allow me to maintain my current light weight setup and smaller pack (I'm thinking I'll have 10-12 days for the trip). I did my last 3 day high peaks trip with my smaller pack (48L if I recall properly?) and figure I might be able to squeeze another day into it - maybe 2 if I tweak a few items and don't have to lug that bear canister.

Or if towns are passed by can one restock with stuff available there? I am not familiar with any of these towns, I assume they are too small to carry things like Mountain House? What about SLX or HEET alcohol? Can I find them on the way? My current setup is a Whitebox alcohol stove and a GSI Ketalist combo. Pretty light weight but the fuel adds up. For a 2-3 day trip its extremely light weight, but approaching 10 days the extra fuel adds up to the weight of a cannister stove (or maybe more?). And I'm not sure if its allowed to send alcohol through the mail?

For trips greater than a week I got thinking about what would be the lightest option, since most of the traditional cannister and alcohol stoves seem to balance out at that point. But twig burners have a huge advantage with longer trips, since you don't have to carry any fuel, except maybe for backup, or a small amount of tinder for wet conditions. I did some looking around and could get a complete stove and pot for around 8 ounces or even an ounce or so less if I went with a really small setup. Now with no extra fuel weight, thats packing lite! I know twig burners don't seem to be allowed in EHP region, but have they ever been banned from NPT area? I assume sticks and twig are plentiful? Besides the extra hassle factor, and some soot, the only big issue is if it happens to be really wet when I'm hiking. So still debating if I want to use my current alcohol setup or try for a twig burner.

Is there any other possibilities of stashing along the way other than using the post office? Any hotel/motels along the way in any of the towns (and more specifically any with laundry capabilities)? Was thinking it would be nice somewhere around the middle of the trip to wash clothes and such.

44/46 get'n closer
26/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
dundee

You pass thru Piseco and the Mom & Pop store is within site of the crossing at Rt. 8. Last time I was there, he had no freeze dried food, but IIRC, had Lipton dinners, boxed M & C and canned food. No fresh fruit or veggies. Plenty of junk food. I can't say about stove fuel at any of the stores. In Piseco you will walk right past the PO.

You pass thru the Lake Durant state campground and it may be possible to hitch a ride to Blue Mt. Lake with it's M&P store. If you can't hitch, it's only a walk of 2-3 miles from the crossing at Rt. 28. I've never been in that store, , but I would assume it's like Piseco; believe the PO is just a short walk from the store.

Long lake is another 2-3 mile walk and has a PO and Hoss' Store. From what I hear, Hoss' is better equipped for hikers; maps, fuel, freezed-dried, etc. I think they have a website if you wish to search for it.

There are two long stretches on the NP where there are no road crossings, The West Canada Lakes and High Peaks Wilderness. Each of these is around 40 miles. While not the 100 mile wilderness of the AT or John Muir Trails, you still have to pack enough to get thru.

Stshing along the way would involve bear canisters and that will get expensive. Bear cans are not waterproof, so keep that in mind.

Campfires are legal along the NP becasue it's in the Western High Peaks, not eastern. A wood burning stove would be ok. You may want to carry a small zip-loc back of dry tinder to get it going on a rainy night.

Blue Mt. Lake used to be the home of Potters Cabins, but I think they are closed, although the buildings are still there.

There's a motel just east of the store in Piseco on Rt. 8.

Long Lake has the Adirondack Inn (Hotel) across from the beach.

You can mail the butane cartidges.

Last edited by dundee; 03-06-2014 at 05:50 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Twig burners are legal, as dundee stated. However, some of the campsites on the NPT can be quite popular, and you may find yourself having to search for twigs outside of camp.

If you're only using the stove for dinner, I would think that an 8 ounce fuel canister should be enough for a 10 day trip for 1 person.

Using the postal service for re-supplies is not "misuse." It is actually quite common, not only on the NPT, but especially on the Appalachian Trail were a good number of through hikers will mail re-supplies to themselves via various post offices along the trail. As Dundee stated, the Piseco post office is right on the trail. You'll have to hike/hitch a ride into Long Lake to take advantage of the post office there, though.

I personally use Lipton/Knorr Pasta and Rice Sides for dinner, because they are a lot cheaper than dehydrated backpacking goods like Mountain House. I generally carry dehydrated vegetables (available at most health food stores) to mix in with dinner to make it a little bit healthier.

The NPT is generally pretty flat, with the exception of a single 1,000 foot climb over a ridge in the middle, between Tirrell Pond and Long Lake. Accordingly, this is a trail that lends itself well to not necessarily being a total ultralite purist. I did the NPT with 8 days of food on my back and while on the first day or so I could feel the weight, it wasn't too bad.

Last edited by DSettahr; 12-11-2013 at 11:02 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
TCD

When we did the NP we set up two re-supplies: Irondequoit Inn in Piseco, and Hoss's Store in Long Lake. This worked great - both places were very helpful and accomodating. They were happy to hold our stuff for us, and even to hold our packed out garbage until I could come get it. Very positive reviews for both places.

We avoided the Piseco PO because of its restrictive hours (we were there on Saturday):

Mon-Fri 9:45am - 12:00pm, 1:30pm - 3:45pm
Sat 11:30am - 1:00pm, Sun Closed

This was easy for us, because we are local, and we could drive around the weekend before and leave our supplies. Being from out of town, it will be harder for you. You might try to see if you can mail a resupply package to Hoss's, and if they will hold it for you. I would call and ask.

Hoss's has a lot of stuff for sale - it's big and pretty complete. The one thing I could not get was a replacement water filter (ours clogged with minerals from the Sacandaga River at Whitehouse). I had to walk a little farther down the street to the hardware store, but fortunately they had one I could buy.

You'll want to do a lot of phone work ahead of time to get a good plan in place. Also set up pick up and drop off - there is a local shuttle (see Sticky in this forum).

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Thanks for all the info fellas! I just took a look at the maps and wrote down some mileages too. Piseco is the closest to the trail, followed by Long Lake. Those two stops would divide my trip into 3 sections, although Piseco is pretty close to one end. If I start from the south and go northbound, I suppose I could package the bulk of my food for pickup in Piseco, and the first day or two I could carry some heavier stuff knowing it will be consumed quickly. After that its a long stretch to Long Lake. I could do a ressuply in Blue Mountain Lake but I'm thinking the Adirondack Inn might be a nice treat along the way, just got to make it another day. Has anyone used the Inn to hold items? Do they have laundry machines? If I hike southbound, I'd probably skip the Inn but not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
If you're only using the stove for dinner, I would think that an 8 ounce fuel canister should be enough for a 10 day trip for 1 person.
At the least, I typically have 1 hot meal for breakfast (like mountain house scrambled eggs), a hot cup of coffee, and a hot dinner (like mountain house beef stew). Sometimes I might have a hot tea or chocolate for dinner too. So probably boiling around 5-6 cups per day I think. And I'm not talking about isobutane cannisters, I use an alcohol stove (denatured alcohol, SLX, HEET). If memory serves, I took 5-6oz of fuel on my last 3-day / 2-night trip (only 2 complete days worth of meals) and had I think around 1-2 ounces left over.

Since I've learned about Hawkes Vittles I am thinking about trying them. I also might start dehydrating my own meals, I have a dehydrator after all, though I've only used it for jerky and fruit thus far.

Quote:
The NPT is generally pretty flat, with the exception of a single 1,000 foot climb over a ridge in the middle, between Tirrell Pond and Long Lake. Accordingly, this is a trail that lends itself well to not necessarily being a total ultralite purist. I did the NPT with 8 days of food on my back and while on the first day or so I could feel the weight, it wasn't too bad.
A very good point. If there was ever a trail suited for heavier loads I suppose something like this would be it. And its not just the weight but the size... if I can't fit it into my 46L pack I have a big ol Kelty SuperTioga external frame. I love that pack and would like to still get some use out of it, but the hip belts are just not comfortable. I'm toying with the idea of having new hip belt made for it, or see if I can adapt hip belts that are available for other packs.

I'll keep the twig burner idea in mind, but I'm thinking its so much easier to use my existing alchy stove, as long as I have a couple ressuply points I think I'll be good. Seems like about a 60 mile stretch I'd have to span from Piseco to Long Lake. I'll have to calculate my fuel consumption more accurately, but I suppose instead of my nice graduated 8oz fuel bottle I could just use a 12oz soda bottle or something like that.

TCD - thanks for the mention of the shuttle. I might take advantage of that. Got to figure out what direction I'm heading and what the options are. My folks are from upstate, but still 3+ hours away I doubt they can help me since they dont like to drive anyhow.

So much planning for a trip like this, glad I am starting to think about it now. If I think I need some new gear maybe I can get in on some of the christmas/after holiday sales.

44/46 get'n closer
26/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
serotonin
ember

Carrying no shoes or socks ought to impress the ultraliteists

...are you bringing a canoe?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
dundee

I've not used the ADK Inn to hold anything, but you can always ask. I also do not know about their laundry, but I would guess that Long Lake has a laundromat. Ask the Inn. You can do what I do and that is the garbage bag method. Take a garbage bag with you clothes, squirt in some Doc Bronner's soap, add water and shake. Dump soap 150 away from water source, refill and rinse, also 150' away. (You'd be shocked at the number of people who wash themselves, clothes and dishes in the water source with soap & shampoo!) Hang to dry. This means that you have the time to do this. On the NP there are enough shelters and scenic locations to do short days of 6-8 miles and when you arrive in camp early, do laundry!

Alcohol can get a bit heavy to haul along, depends on how much you want to carry, but is available anywhere.

Last edited by dundee; 01-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelin'
Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
TCD

When we did the trip in August 2007, we didn't bring soap. All our cooking was boiling water only, so all we had to do was rinse the bowls; the pot stayed clean.

And if you go in late summer, and you get good weather, you can stay pretty clean (and refreshed!) without soap with a bracing swim almost anywhere along the trail. Spruce Lake was marvelously cold, even in late August. Wanika Falls was amazingly cold!

But you can make the NP a "partial wildwerness" trip too, by booking rooms in Piseco and Long Lake. We didn't do that, but we did stay the first night at the Irondequoit Inn's campground. And we did walk out and have a nice drink and lunch at the late Blarney Stone in LL.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
GeoLobo

Long Lake has Hoss's (across from Stewarts), the grocery store (almost across from LL Hotel), and The trading post (all three of which carry freeze dried meals), usually

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/adkleanto/[/URL]
GeoLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
You'd be shocked at the number of epole who wash themselves, clothes and dishes in the water source with saop & shampoo!
It is, unfortunately, a common misconception that biodegradable soaps are ok to use in and around water bodies in the backcountry.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
dundee

Quote:
It is, unfortunately, a common misconception that biodegradable soaps are ok to use in and around water bodies in the backcountry.
Oh, don't I know! I've had lots of people tell me, "it's ok, it's bio suds!" Ok, you drink it, now!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Some of those bio soaps seem harsher than regular soap (to the skin and hair at least).

I use some at home I would drink, albeit diluted. It is really mild and has little to no irritation for me.

I still wash my dishes away from the water though but mainly because my wife insists we use filtered or boiled water to wash with.

When I was younger I never carried soap and just used rocks or sand to clean my dishes and cleaned them right in the water.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

If you haven't already looked at it, I would suggest a Kelly Kettle. They come in many sizes and are very efficient. They are bulky, but very lightweight.We just used my KK for four of us in late October, it had been very, very wet. Even with most of the twigs still damp, the KK did its job well, once I had it started. If you go this route, be sure to bring a reliable starting fuel, it will ease the wet weather usage.

And here's another vote for the Hawk Vittles...
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
... just used rocks or sand to clean my dishes and cleaned them right in the water.
That's a no-no, too.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee
You'd be shocked at the number of epole who wash themselves, clothes and dishes in the water source with saop & shampoo!

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone here has ever read the ancient tome
Conversations with Dead Trout ...
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
St.Regis

Hey l'oiseau - Good avatar. Much better than the drunken cat.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Hey l'oiseau - Good avatar. Much better than the drunken cat.
It was "time for something special"

That is my second wife... after my current one divorces me
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
It was "time for something special"

That is my second wife... after my current one divorces me
Or...... The reason for the divorce!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #19
EveryTripAnExpedition
Make Every Trip An Expedition!

Is there any place (ie. perhaps a private residence) to hook up with to do a gear drop
on the Cedar River Road? You know, between Wakely Dam and Route 30? Seems like somebody would be willing to do it for a few bucks, maybe even let you camp in their backyard, wash up and such. Seems like after coming out of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, you'd want something special out of your supply "goody pack!"
EveryTripAnExpedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
crepuscular

Our re-supplies:
1) Piseco Post office. We also stopped at the store and had chili mixed with mac and cheese and coffee at 8AM. It was amazing
2) Lake Durant camp site. Had my parents (who have a camp in Eagle Bay) come meet us with our resupply and some screamin eagle subs from inlet. There is running water there which felt like a luxury after having to pump every liter for many days
3) Long Lake post office

We also had dinner at a restaurant and stayed in a cheap motel in Long lake. That was our "big night out" for the hike. That got us easily out of the woods 2 days later.
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote