Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
smr220

Steepest, windiest, scariest drive . . .

Just curious as to the hilliest, steepest, curviest, hugging the mountain kind of road to drive on in the Adirondaks (or even Catskills). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
smr220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Vermont Scott

If you want to take a drive over here to Vermont, Route 108 through Smuggler's Notch is really twisty and steep at the top of the notch with nice big boulders right next to the road. http://www.travelguideofamerica.com/.../route108.html
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserRe...e_Vermont.html
Every so often a tractor trailer or a motor home gets wedged in between the boulders but there are plenty of signs warning drivers of those kind of vehicles.
If you park at the top you can take a nice hike up to Sterling Pond, Madonna Mountain or Spruce Peak.

Scott

Last edited by Vermont Scott; 07-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added a link
Vermont Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Grey-Jay

By western standards, there are no such roads in the Adirondacks. The only true mountain road to ascend a peak is the Whiteface Mountain toll road and that is definitely nothing like the roads out west. I found the private toll road to the top of Mount Mansfield in Vermont more intense than the Whiteface Road, which is mild by mountain range standards. Now Trail Ridge road in Colorado or many of the coastal mountain roads in California-that's more relevant to such a question.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Dick
somewhere out there...

I can't think of many in the Adirondacks that are really scary, though I'm sure there are plenty of dirt back roads that would fit the bill. The road up to randomscooter's house in a rainstorm might qualify

Lots of steep and twisting dirt roads in the Catskills that can be scary when wet or snowy. Sorry, names aren't coming to me at the moment. People often point to the road through Platte Kill Clove as being a white-knuckle drive, but the scariest thing about that one are the other drivers who try to get up/down it faster than they should. It is closed in the winter, and closed year-round to trucks and buses. The Tour de Trump bicycle race went through this clove.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

I'm not familiar with any, though I'm certain there are many here that know all the roads in and out of there (I'm not among them.)

The most dangerous roads in the whole world though?....
Here's a whole series on them...

The Most Dangerous Roads in the World

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Haven't seen anything around here that remotely resembles any of the roads out west. Been on a lot out there that put my heart in my throat especially when i wasn't the one driving.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Dick
somewhere out there...

I remember several "white knuckle" moments on many roads in Colorado. Some of the better known ones come to mind quickly:
Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP (highest continuous road in US; reaches over 12,000 ft.).
Pikes Peak, part of which is (still is?) a dirt road, no guard rails.
Road to Mt. Evans (highest paved road in North America).
Road from Ouray to Silverton ("Million Dollar Highway")

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Haven't seen anything around here that remotely resembles any of the roads out west. Been on a lot out there that put my heart in my throat especially when i wasn't the one driving.
My brother's a game warden out in NW Colorado. You oughta see him drive those roads with a snowmobile trailer behind him. Damned! I had to close my eyes a good part of the time. Especially after he told me that if he started to skid and reached the point of knowing he couldn't recover he'd be turning the wheel straight down the bank (cliffs).

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
WillisB

Try Mt. Washington in NH.
WillisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I remember several "white knuckle" moments on many roads in Colorado. Some of the better known ones come to mind quickly:
Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP (highest continuous road in US; reaches over 12,000 ft.).
Pikes Peak, part of which is (still is?) a dirt road, no guard rails.
Road to Mt. Evans (highest paved road in North America).
Road from Ouray to Silverton ("Million Dollar Highway")

Dick
Got a few I could add to that. Not just some of the highways, but many of the roads leading out to trailheads in the mountain ranges.

Our last trip west to NM and AZ in particular had some real steep and winding roads with steep dropoffs on one side. They don't waste any money on guardrails either. Guess they figure if you can't drive them, you shouldn't be on them. Makes sense to me.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
smr220

Thanks for the responses. I'm well aware that we don't have anything akin to the roads out west up here in the North East. I'll give Mt. Washington and Mt. Mansfield a go though. I just did a trip to Mt. Okemo (Vermont) and drove up there and it was fun (though not in the least bit scary or dramatic), so I wanted to see what else was out there to attempt.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr220 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm well aware that we don't have anything akin to the roads out west up here in the North East. I'll give Mt. Washington and Mt. Mansfield a go though. I just did a trip to Mt. Okemo (Vermont) and drove up there and it was fun (though not in the least bit scary or dramatic), so I wanted to see what else was out there to attempt.
Since you are going to do the toll road on Mt Mansfield you may as well drive through Smugglers Notch since the toll road is off the Notch road. If you are into ice cream you may want to check out Ben and Jerry's as well. Here is another link:
http://www.linkvermont.com/townsvill...e_mtmansfield/

I'd also think about visiting Moss Glen Falls if you like waterfalls:
http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/w...hp?num=253&p=0

Scott
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont Scott View Post
If you want to take a drive over here to Vermont, Route 108 through Smuggler's Notch is really twisty and steep at the top of the notch with nice big boulders right next to the road. http://www.travelguideofamerica.com/.../route108.html
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserRe...e_Vermont.html
Every so often a tractor trailer or a motor home gets wedged in between the boulders but there are plenty of signs warning drivers of those kind of vehicles.
If you park at the top you can take a nice hike up to Sterling Pond, Madonna Mountain or Spruce Peak.

Scott
In 1977 the NJCAA nationals in skiing were held at Smuggler's Notch. It was a low snow year so the Nordic finals were held on the unplowed road itself. We started at Smugg's and skied over the pass and down the other side to the plowed road, then turned around and skied back over the pass back to Smuggs. Tucking the other side of the Notch and trying to negotiate those turns on skinny double camber XC racing skis was a challenge to say the least. There were skiers going off the road between the rock "guard rails" and way down into the woods at quite a few of the turns. Also the problem of racers coming down meeting racers going up resulted in some fairly spectacular crashes. Ah the memories...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Night Dog

Tower Road near Stanford N.Y. may qualify.I rode mt mountain bike up it a few weeks ago and it was hard to keep my front tire from lifting up.700 ' vertical in a very short distance.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
jrbren

Nothing in the Adirondacks comes to mind as scary (not counting icy conditions ofcourse, where even flat roads can become scary). I thought Trail Ridge road in RMNP park was rather tame (gorgeous though). Similar to other big mountain passes out there. Fall River Road, a one way spur off of Trail Ridge Road, used to access the TH for Ypsilon peak among other things, would be what I would count as a scary mountain hugging road. This was one where there were some spots where I could look at the tree tops directly below the driver side door and the passenger door was about 6 inches from a rock wall on the other side (or so it seemed). I recall a trailhead access road to a peak (whose name escapes me, maybe Rock Mt. ?) in the central WA cascades that had similar "features". As far as just the ugliest road for requiring 4WD, that would easily be the 4WD access road to the Piedra Grande Hut on Pico de Orizaba in Mexico. Good thing I was not driving, I was was with a group that hired the 4WD vehicle and we had a local driver (who constantly was saying "no problem" as we went along).

The Whiteface auto road is also very tame, nothing scary on that under good conditions.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

There are some back roads, that while aren't scary, are enough of a drop if you were to leave the road, you would be screwed.

Also, they can be a little nerve-wracking if you encounter a vehicle coming in the other direction as most are one lane.

Take a look at an atlas and look for back roads roads that ride along contours.

A hundred foot drop off of the side of hill is enough to make me sweat a little.

There is a spot on the road to North Lake in the town of Ohio where you drive along a large dam - I recall thinking to myself that it would be un-fun to drive off that road.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
smr220

From what i've seen; the only road which could "kind of" compare with those out west is the Mount Washington Auto Road? Not really - but I guess it's the closest we have up here.

Thanks for all the recommendations, however!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #18
eArThworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I remember several "white knuckle" moments on many roads in Colorado... Road from Ouray to Silverton ("Million Dollar Highway")
Dick
I was on that one about a year ago, and you're quite right! But later I encountered one I thought was even worse, and that was the road through Tioga Pass on the east side of Yosemite National Park. A real heart-stopper, especially the second time I went through there...in a rain storm.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
jan

If you thought Tioga Pass Rd. was bad, you should try the Kaiser Pass Rd. sometime. It goes to Florence Lake, CA and is a real thrill ride.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
Cold Toes

Short, not in the Adirondacks or Catskills, and i'm not sure that it is all that scary, but I always thought that Storm King Hwy was cool.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...172.17,,0,5.86
Cold Toes is offline   Reply With Quote