Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Avacal

Question Strange noise at night....

Awhile ago...during the summer night in the 8th Lake area. We awoke to a hellish scream of something sounding like a small monkey in pain. It was a repeated cycle of screams too. I 've been going to the Dacks for 38-ish years and never heard anything like it before or since. I was thinking maybe an Owl....but not a Loon(for sure). We were in a wooded area and it did sound like it was coming from up in the trees. Like I said , it sounded like a small monkey howling at the top of it's lungs.

????

Avacal
Avacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
eArThworm

Racoon(s)? Screech owl?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacal View Post
Awhile ago...during the summer night in the 8th Lake area. We awoke to a hellish scream of something sounding like a small monkey in pain. It was a repeated cycle of screams too. I 've been going to the Dacks for 38-ish years and never heard anything like it before or since. I was thinking maybe an Owl....but not a Loon(for sure). We were in a wooded area and it did sound like it was coming from up in the trees. Like I said , it sounded like a small monkey howling at the top of it's lungs.

????
You must have heard the rare Adirondack howler monkey! What a treat!

But seriously, could it have been a fox? We were talking in my outdoor living skills class the other day about how awful a fox yelp can sound. One of the students described it as the sound of a young girl being murdered.

What do you think, Hobbitling?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
You must have heard the rare Adirondack howler monkey! What a treat!

But seriously, could it have been a fox? We were talking in my outdoor living skills class the other day about how awful a fox yelp can sound. One of the students described it as the sound of a young girl being murdered.

What do you think, Hobbitling?
Those may be the exact words I used to describe it after hearing it for the first time. Of course I didn't know what it was at the time, but early the next morning it was repeated and I went outside to attempt a triangulation on it. My good luck the animal started moving and actually stepped onto the gravel road. It was a young fox. It turned and came right toward me, stopping now and then to scream. It walked by me within a few feet, maybe 5 feet at most. Quite a treat.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
paddlewheel

This thread would have been a nice continuation to the interesting but short lived "Strange Sounds of Wildlife" one that was out a little over a month ago.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
ellsaf

The barred owl can make a noise like a monkey and quite loudly too.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
trouthunter

My wife couldn't sleep one night while camping at Moffits Beach near Speculator because of the "monkey sounds". I am a very heavy sleeper and never heard it but she described it just like Avacal did. I suggested it may have been a Loon and she said definetly not a Loon.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Hobbitling
spring fever

It could have been some unfortunate animal being killed by a predator. Even small animals will make some horrific noises when they are being eaten alive.

I agree it might be a fox. They make sort of a wheezy barking screech.
Barn owls make pretty harsh screeches. that could be it.
Ironically, screech owls don't really screech, their call is very musical and warbly and "loon" like.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Avacal

First, Thanks for the responses. I did check out audio files on the owls. I guess it sounded more like a fox but a little deeper of a sound.

Avacal
Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Avacal

First, Thanks for the responses. I did check out audio files on the owls. I guess it sounded more like a fox but a little deeper of a sound. It was more like a bird call though....very consistant bursts of sounds.

BTW: Just got back from Cascade MT summit. 70mph gusts on top!!!! Sweet!!

Avacal

Last edited by Avacal; 02-03-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
eArThworm

Did you find these sound files for foxes?

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html?

Ignore the first one--"aren't I cute...?! "--it's not real.

Try these:
redfox_distress.wav ----(Loud) A red fox distress call.
softfight.wav ----More fighting foxes.
The latter's at a distance.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
BTW: Just got back from Cascade MT summit. 70mph gusts on top!!!! Sweet!!
That's amazing! I was just up on Owls Head at noontime, and live right at the bottom of the hill in Keene, and there hasn't been a twig stirring all day. Those mountains can surely make their own weather sometimes.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Avacal

We actually climbed Sunday afternoon.....sorry about the confusion. Some of the most adverse conditions I've experienced in the area. Made for some great pics and videos.

Avacal
Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
We actually climbed Sunday afternoon.....sorry about the confusion. Some of the most adverse conditions I've experienced in the area. Made for some great pics and videos.
I really must learn to read things a bit less literally.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
. Made for some great pics and videos.
post em
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
billy3b

Three years ago my wife and I just arrived at the house for the weekend and as we were bringing our bags in, we heard what I think you did. In all my years being in nature and/or studying it, I have never heard anything like it or have since. To me, it sounded like a cross between a monkey and a hyena. We were talking to friends of our that have lived here their entire live and the subject about the noise came up. Yeah one of them said that's the Flying Monkey Monster, I've heard it a few times when I was a kid. The next day I called the DEC and they said it was probably two raccoons fighting. It was most definitely not a screech owl. I've gone birding with the best and that was definitely not a bird. When I heard it the hair on the back of my neck stood up!!!!
billy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Dick
somewhere out there...

We were once camped at Bradley Pond and awakened in the middle of the night and were awakened by a sound exactly as described above. It was not in the trees. There was more than one animal involved, and commotion on the ground like a chase. Quite a chilling sound.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
wbwells
Travler

Well it's kinda hard to pinpoint this one from the written descriptions

But I would put my money on Bobcat....they can scream like a dying baby!!

and make the hair on the back of your head stand up!!!

WbW

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?
wbwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
naturegeek

Another animal to consider is a mink. I have heard and seen an angry mink twice and boy they can raise a racket with their screeching and snarling! Just the other night in the small stream in the woods behind our house, we heard a very loud screeching. We took out the spotlight and saw a fox on the streambank looking at a very angry mink in the stream. The mink was screeching like a banshee.
naturegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
riverstrider
Sir Rhosis of the River

I'm surprised no one suggested this:

While it very well could have been a fox (I have heard them many times here in RI), I doubt it was a fox you heard based on your description and time of day. The fox is loud, but not grab-the-kids-and-call-the-police loud, and the interval between screams (as demonstrated on the voice files above) is pretty short.

If what you heard was extraordinarily loud, or seemed to carry well from a long distance; and if the intervals were longer between screams, like 10 seconds or more, my bet is on fisher. Sounds like a baby, or young girl, screaming at the top of their lungs. Again, I have heard this animal frequently, and was lucky enough to get a good look at one when it screamed at my front porch door (scaring the crap out of me) and I flipped on the light...there it was, about a 10 lb. fisher.

I wish I could post a good .wav file, but I've never been able to find a decent fisher vocalilzation on-line. If anyone else is able to find one, I would love if you could post it!

-Chuck

Last edited by riverstrider; 06-04-2009 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: The keyboard I was using somehow doubled the size of the fisher I saw. Oops!
riverstrider is offline   Reply With Quote