Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #101
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Still no dice for me, Hawk. Skyclimber, the email didn't come through. I'll get it sooner or later. lol.
I sent it to the email address you privately PM'd me. I don't understand but I am resending the package and hope it comes through this time. If not, let me know and I'll try it again.

Could it happen to of gone to filtered mail? Check junk box, maybe my title made it sound like spam mail.

We'll keep trying, you'll get it.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Last edited by Skyclimber; 02-17-2008 at 12:41 AM..
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #102
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber View Post
I sent it to the email address you privately PM'd me. I don't understand but I am resending the package and hope it comes through this time. If not, let me know and I'll try it again.

Could it happen to of gone to filtered mail? Check junk box, maybe my title made it sound like spam mail.

We'll keep trying, you'll get it.
Maybe if we put it in a pond, he can catch it!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #103
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Right click and "Save Link as" to download

The disappearence of Douglas Legg

Hawk
None of that works for me either Hawk. Internet Explorer unable to perform the act. I can get your homepage though.
I resent it to Gray Ghost, so will keep trying until he gets it.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #104
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
None of that works for me either Hawk. Internet Explorer unable to perform the act. I can get your homepage though.
Clicking the link doesn't work, but right clicking, and selecting save as, does...

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12, tho...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #105
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Clicking the link doesn't work, but right clicking, and selecting save as, does...

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12, tho...
Nope I followed that direction from Hawk's post, still doesn't. But thanks winterwarlock.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #106
redhawk

Quote:
try this with explorer......

Right click on the link and then select "Convert link target to adobe pdf"

I just tried that with Explorer and it worked fine where the "download target" didn't.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #107
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I got the article via email. Thank you SC.

Haunting is all I can say. I know there was another Press Republican Article around the same time period that detailed the men on military leave who supposedly found a small skeleton. If I ever get a chance I'd like to dig through the PR's archives.

Does anyone have details of the skeleton recovered in Newcomb that was the missing hiker from 1950?

I wonder how far the boy had to walk...in the article it says less than a mile. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, but I would never let a third grader walk alone in the woods, period, let alone at such a distance. This just sounds strange, but I guess it could be chalked up to ignorance.

Has modern day technology ever been used in this case? I'm just dumbfounded and saddened. I know they have dogs specially trained to locate human remains. Is this feasible? Realistic?
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #108
Sasquatch

The cadaver dogs won't be useful after this much time. They're good, even after a few years, but once the flesh is gone, that's it. They're trained to respond to the smell of rotting fat. (so a fat person is more likely to be found than a skinny one.... 'nother reason for me to not lose weight).
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #109
TheBugHouse
Pulmonary Jedi

Took the words............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
As a veteran of many SAR searches, I can say that agency cooperation is better now than it used to be, at least for the past few searches I have been involved with. For the most part, the agencies we are talking about are the NYSDEC and the State Police. There are some awful stories from the past about which agency gets the first call that a person is missing, and that agency wanting to be first on the scene to claim the "credit for the quick and successful find". It's a feather (and cash) in the political hat that they go it alone. But I haven't seen much of that attitude in the past few years.
>
Would you attribute the colaboration to NIMS/ICS? Do you guys abide by NIMS? When I was FD (on the coast) we had a LOT of missing persons reported, mostly inexperienced boaters/swimmwers ect. Not to mention the state park in our district seemed to be a magnet for lost hikers. Anyway, we were always activated due to the simple fact that county PD only had limited access to a thermal imaging camera. Our dept had several. The NIMS/ICS system made information desemination much easier!
TheBugHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #110
TheBugHouse
Pulmonary Jedi

Ftr:

My uncle is the same age as Douglass. He spent many, many hours alone in the woods at our camp as a kid. Growing up in the ADK's with my grandmother, she never let us forget about Douglas Legg. I pretty much chalk my fascination/obsession with missing persons to this story. I've walked into Santinoni lot's of times thinking to myself: I'll just dig around for a while, you never know. I bet I'm not the only one.
TheBugHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #111
search-rescue5-1

Rangers and SAR

You are correct with the analysis of NY search and rescue at the time. This was the early 70's and there was no real search plan in place at this time. It was due to this search that the governor started the rangers to taking control of all searches. Up to then there was a all agency call out with much confusion. it has come a long way since, it might not be always perfect but now we have a federation of about 25 teams across the state to assist the rangers and certified dogs also. I teach the history of SAR with the team 5-1 in the lower adirondacks and have a search dog also. We are considered one of the better states that are efficent with new updates and new standards all the time.
Quote:
True, and even today there are very few states that are truly prepared or co-ordinated for SAR. Even New York State has a long way to go. I think there are about four or five states that have good programs in place.

Please don't construe what I have said as a criticism of any SAR people or the Rangers. The problem is not with them but with the overall organization and co-ordination (or lack thereof) of the agencies involved.

I think on a 1-10 basis, NY State is bout a 7. Which considering the overall preparedness is quite good.

Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Washington State are probably the top five.
search-rescue5-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #112
search-rescue5-1

missing people

In 2006 two people in the Indian lake region went missing, as far as I know have not be found. A large search force was out a few weeks on each, but nothing found. The area is so vast and remote and unless someone stumbled almost directly on them it can be hard to find anyone at times. cadaver dogs could be used but they need something to go on and no traces of where they went was found. My search dog is a tracking dog that works on scent and after a few days would be useless. There have been many lost through the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I got the article via email. Thank you SC.

Haunting is all I can say. I know there was another Press Republican Article around the same time period that detailed the men on military leave who supposedly found a small skeleton. If I ever get a chance I'd like to dig through the PR's archives.

Does anyone have details of the skeleton recovered in Newcomb that was the missing hiker from 1950?

I wonder how far the boy had to walk...in the article it says less than a mile. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, but I would never let a third grader walk alone in the woods, period, let alone at such a distance. This just sounds strange, but I guess it could be chalked up to ignorance.

Has modern day technology ever been used in this case? I'm just dumbfounded and saddened. I know they have dogs specially trained to locate human remains. Is this feasible? Realistic?
search-rescue5-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #113
adkman12986

I participated in the search for nearly 3 weeks. It was truly one of the most tragic events of the 26 yrs I lived there. I believe it was 1971 and the report came in to the Newcomb Fire Department that there was a child lost in the then Melvin & Melvin Estate. It is a very vast wilderness and one could go from Newcomb to Lake Placid in the woods and never come accross a trail or road. After a short period of time (1-2 hrs) DEC, State Police and Rescue were alerted. The search that afternoon proved fruitless. No Sign of the boy anywhere. The next day DEC had helicopters with infrared cameras scowering the area. We found many deer and bear but no boy. By now we are into the 3rd or 4th day and things got moving bigtime. Volunteers from as fat away as Tupper Lake and North Creek poured into the town to help search. The national guard showed up and at one time there were almost 3000 people in the woods looking for Douglas. A specialized team of search and rescue personel were flown in from California with their dogs to help to no avail. Tragically the search was called off after about 4 weeks and Douglas has never been found. The area is one of the wildest most harshest unforgiving areas that I have ever encountered in my 50+ years of hunting and fishing the area. It is also one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. For those who have never been there it is truly worth the trip but don't stray from the roads and trails unless you are positive of where you are and how to get back.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #114
brookies4ever

Well put adkman12986, as a close friend of Doug's older brother growing up, and having gone through a similar experience myself, I think I can speak somewhat to what the Legg family went through and say, that you can speculate all you want as to what actually happened, but it you can't dwell on it when it's someone close to you. Having been through the area, I really think it's entirely plausible that he got lost, and his body was just never found.
brookies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #115
fataidclimber

Sorry for the bump

I just find this story interesting on a boring day at work. Doug Legg and I were born within a few months of each other.

http://www.forthelost.org/calikids/DLegg.doc
fataidclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #116
Carmen

Is there a way to open the link in post #103? I've tried everything...

Thanks!
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #117
coolrobc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post

Thanks!
try this

http://siouxme.com/DL.pdf

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #118
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post

Thanks!
I just tried it and it works fine. of course it's my server too.

PM me you email address and I'll send you the pdf.

Hawk
Old 08-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #119
coolrobc

Quote:
I just tried it and it works fine. of course it's my server too.

PM me you email address and I'll send you the pdf.

Hawk
It's the capital .PDF in the link that's causing the problem. Your server is case sensitive. changed it to DL.pdf and I could download it fine.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #120
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrobc View Post
It's the capital .PDF in the link that's causing the problem. Your server is case sensitive. changed it to DL.pdf and I could download it fine.
I just click on the link and it asks if i want to read it or download it.

I did however change the case in the link.

Hawk