Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
YeahIKnowBut

Question Rookie looking for places like Indian Lake (secluded/private)

Hi! I've browsed through a bunch of these threads looking for some suggestions. I absolutely love Indian Lake. They have some great secluded/private campsites and that's what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for a place that's on the water. Lewey lake is beautiful, but I feel that the sites are too close to each other and don't offer that much privacy. It's difficult for me to find a campground that has what I'm looking for because I'm not sure how close the sites are to each other based on campground maps. Anyone have any suggestions for a new place for me to camp? I'm trying to find something that is at most 2 hours from Clifton Park/Saratoga area. I looked at Moose River Plains, the campsites look really nice but, is that on or near a body of water?Thank you in advance!!
YeahIKnowBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
Ryan28

Welcome to the forum. http://campadk.com/campsitephotos.html is a good place to start. It doesn't have all of the DEC campgrounds or any primitive locations, but does offer pictures of some popular campgrounds around New York.
Ryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
YeahIKnowBut

Thank you Ryan! That website looks great and I'm sure it will be helpful!
YeahIKnowBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

There are sites at the E end of the Moose River Plains that are on Cedar River Flow but I think they are pretty close together and they are all drive up sites so it is fairly busy. There are many sites fairly far apart inside the MRP along the roads, but of the ones I have visited to eat lunch while passing through there none were on water. There are several small ponds pretty close to the road near the middle of the MRP but they involve a short hike. A map will make more sense of all of this as I am not a great explainer.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr But,

As Zach says, Cedar River Flow has sites just like Indian, but without the hassle (and security) of being a formal campground. You didn't say if you had a boat or not...
Little Tupper Lake and Round Lake both have many designated primitive sites, all of the better than Indian, IMHO.
Lake Lila has a couple that you can hike to, as does Bog River Flow.
All of those will be much more private and secluded than anything on Indian.

So, if you have a boat, you're all set...if not, get one!! Even a $200 craigslist special will get you to the best spots.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
richard p

I too started my Adirondack adventures at Indian Lake Campground back in the early 90's. As a first time canoe camper I was in heaven. A few years later I discovered the St Regis Canoe area and never went back to I.L. Try Long Pond or St Regis Pond and explore from there. The other areas mentioned are great too. I like "Quiet Water Canoe Guide - N.Y.", especially for someone starting out.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking, private, secluded, water