Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
johnnyk

parking for the garden and loj In winter.

What is the availability of parking during winter? Alternates?
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The Garden is plowed, but it isn't high on the priority list. Getting into or out of the lot can be tricky at times during a snowstorm. There is no charge to park there in the winter. Finding a spot usually isn't an issue this time of year, but every once in a while, the lot can and does fill up in the winter.

The Loj is regularly plowed and is kept pretty clear of snow. The ADK does continue to charge for parking through the year. I've never seen the parking lot there fill up in winter. You can access Marcy Dam via south meadows instead, but they don't plow Meadows Road in the winter, so the hike into Marcy Dam clocks in at about 4 miles as compared to the 2 miles from the Loj.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
johnnyk

Thanks!

I also assume off 73 parking has the concern of being plowed in if you get weather while you're in the hills.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes, but if you mean the parking for Giant Mountain, the shoulders are really wide so it is still legal to park there in the winter.

My two car essentials for winter hiking in the Adirondacks are a good shovel and a set of tire chains. Having both allows for relatively stress-free parking at trailheads in winter, regardless of how well maintained they are.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
johnnyk

How about if i give Cascade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Yes, but if you mean the parking for Giant Mountain, the shoulders are really wide so it is still legal to park there in the winter.

My two car essentials for winter hiking in the Adirondacks are a good shovel and a set of tire chains. Having both allows for relatively stress-free parking at trailheads in winter, regardless of how well maintained they are.

...A go on the short run across from Pitchoff on Sunday? Think that will be clear on the side? I don't know if there is other parking available as I have always just driven by it... Was hoping to go from the airport for the traverse, but haven't been on snowshoes for a while... Probably prudent to shake them down.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
hookman33

The pull offs for Pitchoff and Cascade were clear today. Should be no problem,
hookman33 is offline   Reply With Quote