Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
ADKMatt

Question Chapel Pond campsite?

Hi all,

In looking at the map from the High Peaks guide, it shows a campsite marker at Chapel Pond. On the map, it looks like it's right off of Route 73. Does anyone have any info they can share on this site? Is it close to the road? Is it accessible by car, or is it a hike in to the site? Could you find it easily in the dark, and are there any landmarks you could describe that would help me find it? I may be using it as a rendezvous point with a friend coming from NH so I'd like to give some good directions. Thanks!
ADKMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
TCD

The camping area is close to rte 73. You drive into it on a short dirt road from rte 73. The road is on the same side of 73 as Chapel Pond, on your left, going towards Keene Valley. It is just past the Pond. It's a little hard to spot going in that direction; you'll have to slow down to see it. The road is immediately before the Chapel Pond outlet brook culverts under 73. If you get to the long "Beer Walls" pullout on the left, you've gone a couple hundred feet past the campground road. IIRC, there is no sign at the road.

Tom
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
skichucky
I Heart Freshies

what type of campground is it, how many sites are there. what is the degree of business arriving on a thursday evening?
skichucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Dave B

Chucky, I've stayed there many times. It is "officially" a single site, but very often its used by 2 or 3 carloads. It's unimproved, but there is usually a privy halfway up the hill. If you have a high clearance 4wd, you might be able to drive to a second site up the hill, past the privy, but you have to back down to get out, with poor visability.

It's really a manky climber's camp. Just a free place to crash, first come, first serve yourself, don't leave your camp up when you aren't there. If it hasn't rained in a while, it will smell like urine.

NO camping at the end of the road, by the outlet.

There is an additional free site near the base of the slab, (short walk-in) and also at the base of roaring brook falls, (3/10 mi. walk-in) across the creek. NO AMENITIES. Just places for climbers to sleep.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
skichucky
I Heart Freshies

sounds great. i need an easy place to stay, got a 3 month old with us, he is a trooper. any other easy access camping spots in the daks would be great for the same purpose. a private message would be best, dont wanna make it like the new girl in school.......
skichucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
jmstac

Does anybody know if this site is still available for use or is shut down?
jmstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
fractalnature

Campsites are still available. Just be sure to camp where there are "camp here" disks and avoid camping where there are "no camping here" disks to avoid degrading the area. If you poke around the hill back there, there are numerous sites, some with privies. Hope this helps a little.
fractalnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
jmstac

This does help, thank you. Im trying to find the best place for myself and two other men to camp for a few nights in between hikes. Do you know if fires are currently permitted in the area?
jmstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Fires are allowed as these sites are within the Dix Mountain Wilderness. Make sure you are using only dead and down wood. An even better option would be to bring your own firewood- make sure it's either treated or from a source within 50 miles, and make sure you have proof that it's treated or where it came from.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote