Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Bagadeez04

Indian Lake Road

Hi, wondering what the road is like to trailhead by Squaw Lake. Is it drivable in a car, ot is it not suitable for low clearance vehicles. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Itís one of the last roads to open that far back in, and can be a little muddy & rough, but usually drivable in a city car once itís been opened.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
Lucky13

Also, please be aware that it is a LONG SLOW drive approximately two hours in from the Limekiln gate. As Justin says, last stretch to open, some years after the 4th of July.
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

You mean the MRP road? It is over thirty miles long and accesses many free primitive campsites. I always take my truck when I travel it. Moose and Black Bear like it too along with millions of deer flies. When they scrape the road they unearth lots of big round rocks so be careful because it takes them about a week to grade it.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

https://www.facebook.com/mooseriverplains/

Hello?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Lucky13

Actually, the MRP road opened Thursday, from Limekiln Gate to just east of the Lost Ponds turn off. Squaw Lake is the end of the Indian Lake Road, which heads south at the second "T" ( the first one follows the Red River to a league club gate just south of the Rock Dam trail, and that is still closed), crosses the Moose River at the Beaver (Vehicle access closed to Beaver Lake Trailhead) continues south to Otter Brook, and then travels further south to the new barrier about 1/4 mile from the Squaw Lake Trail. The latest update to the back country web page indicates that the road is open from Cedar River FLow to the vicinity of Silver Run.

Two weeks ago DEC said it was unlikely that any of it would open by Memorial Day, so I cancelled my trip (third time because of late opening information). Considering the early arrival of the hordes of Black Flies (and Shultz must have only been in in August because the deer flies are nothing back there in comparison to the black flies of June and July) I was not heartbroken to not be going in. One of these years, I'll have to follow Lilian's advise and go during the full moon, sleep all day when the flies are out, and fish all night.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/53596.html
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/22571.html
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html
Old 05-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

They weren't Black Flies and it was in June. They were attracted to my white truck. Massive swarms. They probably weren't deer flies either.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Posted Thursday on the facebook page..

Old 05-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Stop shouting Justin, we can hear you.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Stop shouting Justin, we can hear you.
Only if you start making sense.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

If you need further clarification ask Sero. He will know.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Lucky13

This is a good time of year to make sure you have a heavy rope and a come along in case you run into the " soft shoulders " they are warning of. And, if you have 4WD, save it in case you need it, 'cause if you get stuck in 4WD, you're stuck!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
Bagadeez04

Damn maybe this wouldn't be the best approach to hike over to Horn. Sounds like some are saying this is maybe not doable in a car, others saying it might not even be open until July?

What are thoughts on taking the route from North Lake? Seems quite a bit longer distance than from Indian Lake.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Bagadeez04

Also pretty sure I'm using the wrong road name, sorry about that. Is it Otter Brook Road that takes you down to Squaw Lake? That's as far as you can drive in a vehicle correct? No longer able to drive to Indian Lake?

Last edited by Bagadeez04; 06-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Added Picture
Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
Lucky13

All correct, road ends about 1/4 mile before the "old" Squaw Lake trailhead, new ~3.5 mile hike to get to Indian Lake, 3/4-1 mile to get to Squaw. You can use a cart to the old trailhead, then the Squaw trail is a little too rough for a cart.

There is no easy way to get to Horn lake. It was a long hike when you could drive to Indian, it is longer now. It also involves crossing the Indian River twice, never a guarantee with changeable water levels. McMartin's books describe a confusing maze of unlabeled old logging roads that have to be navigated once the Indian is crossed, in the area of Stink Lake, and a missed turn could eat up a lot of time. I have never attempted it, even when the road to Indian was open, as it sounded like it required superb navigation skills, or going with someone who knew how to get there.

I recall reading one of Gary Lee's columns in the Paper up there about getting to Horn from North Lake, also a long trek, and there is currently a washout on the North Lake road that could hamper that approach. If you can find a way to contact Mr. Lee, he knows that area as well as anyone.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Bagadeez04

Lucky, I read the "Discover" entries on the trails in that area. She also mentions another route to cut about 3 miles off the trip, which really jumps out at you when looking at the routes on a map.

I'm excited about making the trip, I just wanna make sure that road to Squaw is open and drivable in a car (Impala) when I go.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #17
Lucky13

There is a way to bushwack over the mountain and cut 3 miles of more level hiking, but it is a long bushwack.

I know other folks have said it is doable in a passenger car, and a poster last fall had a low clearance vehicle and posted pix from back in there, but you will want to exercise extreme caution on the road. It can be difficult from the Moose to Otter as well, I was in there a few years back with a friend in a 4WD truck, and I would not have wanted to have to rely on my 2 wheel drive if I had gotten into a couple of the spots where he was tempted to use the 4WD.

When it opens is dependent on the weather, and when the Town of Inlet can get back in there to regrade. I recall going up at the end of July not too long ago and being unable to get back there, but they opened the road later in the week, and since we were up for two weeks, we got to Squaw the second week.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
...She also mentions another route to cut about 3 miles off the trip, which really jumps out at you when looking at the routes on a map.
Are you referring to Barbara?
If so I may able to help with a free updated version of that book if interested. Some of those older editions are a bit outdated & not necessary currently accurate, but great guidebooks still non the less.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #19
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are you referring to Barbara?
If so I may able to help with a free updated version of that book if interested. Some of those older editions are a bit outdated & not necessary currently accurate, but great guidebooks still non the less.
I am referring to her. The one I have is copyrighted 2013, fourth edition West Central. Should be recent enough, mentions that thre trail head to Indian Lake was moved back. Thanks Justin, I see you're a player in the "Discover" series now.

Last edited by Bagadeez04; 06-02-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Old 06-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
Wldrns

The other way to Horn lake is from the south, at North Lake. There is an access road on the west side of the lake to a large cleared parking lot on the north side of North Lake, but I have heard there is a washout part way along this spring. It is a good trail to get to a bushwhack, leaving the trail at Ice Cave Mountain, but pleasurable and very doable with a good bit of terrain association navigation to lead you to Horn and beyond. I've made that trek a few times, including a SAR incident in there.

Last edited by Wldrns; 06-02-2019 at 07:40 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote